Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Finally got around to watching a couple of episodes of Perry Mason on HBO last night. Enjoyed the first two episodes and I am looking forward to the rest of the season. A strong cast, nice visuals, and a entertaining dark story. Not the Perry Mason I used to watch on tv as a kid, but that is perfectly fine with me. I am not surprised that I enjoy it as it is directed by Tim Van Patten (Salami on The White Shadow). He has directed quite a few top notch shows for HBO such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, The Pacific, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire. Looking at that list, I see some of the best television that I have ever watched.
:D

Caught a few episodes of The Twilight Zone during the SyFy marathon this weekend.

MV5BYWViNmZmZWQtNGU3OS00NGQ0LWI3NWQtZTM2YzM0MTIwZjIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg
Number 12 Looks Just Like You

I had remembered this episode as being about people choosing which "beautiful" person they wanted to be "transformed" into with one teenage girl discomfiting everyone by not wanting to change. But this time, I saw it more as a parable for a "benign" dictatorship. Whenever someone disagreed with an accepted practice, you could feel some fear creep in as that person was immediately offered a "glass of instant smile" like soma from Brave New World. There were also overtones of The Stepford Wives and the Star Trek episode This Side of Paradise.

R800x0.jpeg
The Last Flight

A WWI fighter pilot gets lost in the clouds and lands at a 1960 American airbase. It is a really well-constructed story that smartly connects a lot of dots between the two time periods. Maybe it is not as "cerebral" as some The Twilight Zone episodes, but it's tightly written and quite engaging.

7.jpg
Willoughby

I must have seen this episode of a businessman having a mental breakdown ten or more times in my life and it still hurts every time he calls his wife for help and support and she hangs up on him. Plus, I've sat in plenty of business meetings where I've thought about the curmudgeonly and bullying boss yelling "this is a push, push, push business."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to watching a couple of episodes of Perry Mason on HBO last night. Enjoyed the first two episodes and I am looking forward to the rest of the season. A strong cast, nice visuals, and a entertaining dark story. Not the Perry Mason I used to watch on tv as a kid, but that is perfectly fine with me. I am not surprised that I enjoy it as it is directed by Tim Van Patten (Salami on The White Shadow). He has directed quite a few top notch shows for HBO such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, The Pacific, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire. Looking at that list, I see some of the best television that I have ever watched.
:D

I loved this series, can't wait to see more of it. I found the time frame of between the wars California fascinating. I also loved how they, in 15 minutes, completely destroyed what would later become the T.V. Series greatest trope... getting the true guilty party on the witness stand and miraculously making them out themselves. That was marvelous.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
B:TAS will always be my favorite adaptation of Batman by a mile. I was lucky enough to have little kids when the series first aired, and therefore an excuse to watch it as an adult who'd been a comics fan since the sixties. I've had the DVDs since they first came out.

Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, et.al. had a handle on the character that no other version has managed, one that synthesized fifty years of good ideas and came up with a Batman who's obsessed, yes, but not as nuts as the villains, he's still a proper hero. Fantastic writing and design, stellar voice talent, great music (an original score for each ep played by a 29-piece orchestra, right before cheaper synth-based scores became standard). Psychologically astute and sophisticated crime stories unheard of in afternoon kids TV. Ideas that found their way into later films - Mr. Freeze's tragic backstory [unfortunately ruined by Schmacher and Ahnuld!], Harley Quinn, Mark Hamill's hair-trigger Joker (a huge influence on Ledger and Phoenix), the concept that Batman is the real identify and Bruce Wayne is the disguise...

You know, if Warners/DC had been smart, they would have turned over their films from Man of Steel onward to guys like Dini who actually know how to write these characters well, and these flicks wouldn't be the mostly embarrassing mess we have now.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
...I also loved how they, in 15 minutes, completely destroyed what would later become the T.V. Series greatest trope... getting the true guilty party on the witness stand and miraculously making them out themselves. That was marvelous.Worf

The stand is subject to cross or a request to the judge to treat as hostile; even when guilt is admitted
followed by a plea for leniency without take, the book can be quite literally thrown.
I once acted as counsel for two soldiers at court martial for missing guard mount and the UCMJ strike
came across the plate hard and fast, right down the middle. The old saw, military justice is to justice,
what military music is to music;
ain't no joke.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
A few episodes of American Masters on PBS last night. First one was on Walter Winchell. Geeze, that guy was a piece of work. His poor kids...wow. I don't much like him.

Second one, Charlie Pride! I had no idea that he was in the Negro Baseball League! (BTW, their museum is in Kansas City and well worth a visit!) It was fascinating to learn how he got into country music, and that he was as accepted as he was during that time period.

What a man. What a career! RIP as he just passed away from Covid. He was married to the same women his entire life.

I loved this series, can't wait to see more of it. I found the time frame of between the wars California fascinating. I also loved how they, in 15 minutes, completely destroyed what would later become the T.V. Series greatest trope... getting the true guilty party on the witness stand and miraculously making them out themselves. That was marvelous.

Worf
We have only two episodes left. Sadly. I enjoyed how they transitioned Mason into a lawyer. So much has done well in this series. Happily, it has been renewed for a second season. :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I have started insomnia viewing of Heartbeat from series one, which I have never seen before.

This long running series started off in 1992, set starting in the mid 60s. Based on the Nicholas Rhea real name Peter Walker, a former copper himself) book series "Constable", it focusses on the local Bobby and the village of Aidensfield in Yorkshire.

We watched this live back in the day but starting with later series so it is great to catch up from the start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner