Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just what I was thinking, Scooby Doo had better storylines than the later dross...
OH. Speaking of Scooby Doo, they did an episode where Sam and Dean actually enter the world of Scooby Doo and become cartoons. It was AMAZING. You should totally watch that one! That was one of the few really good episodes of the last few years.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OH. Speaking of Scooby Doo, they did an episode where Sam and Dean actually enter the world of Scooby Doo and become cartoons. It was AMAZING. You should totally watch that one! That was one of the few really good episodes of the last few years.
OMG...must see that :) Must admit I can’t stand that brat Scrappy Doo

bn1966

OH GOD. I tried watching that! haha!

You’ve got to stick with it :) first season starts off slow and characters gradually develop, it’s like the actors are finding their feet and then it really takes off. What’s really worth a try if you can get access is ‘Still Game’ a crazy comedy about Scottish pensioners.

Edward

Bartender
Last night I finish my run through Mad Men. I liked how it wound up very much. Felt sorry for Pete's family (I subscribe to the view that his plane crashed, killing all, given the historical facts that it danced around and the way the show's writers were very aware of contemporary, real-world events in parallel to the occurrences in Mad Men's fictional world. I liked where everyone else ended up. My only gripe was that I'd have loved to have seen far more of Don's period working with the guys building a racecar at the Salt Flats...). Great story, well told, and rounded tings off nicely without falling into the trap of a definitive ending for everything. Got to decide what the next box-set binge is going to be....

B:TAS will always be my favorite adaptation of Batman by a mile. I was lucky enough to have little kids when the series first aired, and therefore an excuse to watch it as an adult who'd been a comics fan since the sixties. I've had the DVDs since they first came out.

Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, et.al. had a handle on the character that no other version has managed, one that synthesized fifty years of good ideas and came up with a Batman who's obsessed, yes, but not as nuts as the villains, he's still a proper hero. Fantastic writing and design, stellar voice talent, great music (an original score for each ep played by a 29-piece orchestra, right before cheaper synth-based scores became standard). Psychologically astute and sophisticated crime stories unheard of in afternoon kids TV. Ideas that found their way into later films - Mr. Freeze's tragic backstory [unfortunately ruined by Schmacher and Ahnuld!], Harley Quinn, Mark Hamill's hair-trigger Joker (a huge influence on Ledger and Phoenix), the concept that Batman is the real identify and Bruce Wayne is the disguise...

You know, if Warners/DC had been smart, they would have turned over their films from Man of Steel onward to guys like Dini who actually know how to write these characters well, and these flicks wouldn't be the mostly embarrassing mess we have now.

For me, the only Batman film properties which came close in live action were the two made by Burton, especially the second. While there have been others I liked (including 2019's Joker), BTAS had the perfect mix of noir styling and tone. If only the cars had been as good in Burton's second, it would have come damn close....

It says much about BTAS that it remains the only adaptation of the comic book source material that birthed a new character so well envisioned that she has crossed back into the pages of the comic books - Harley Quinn. It was also surprisingly adult in tone and themes. I watched it first in the 90s when it was shown during Saturday morning kids' tv; there was also an X-Men related series at the time which had a similarly adult level to it. It was lovely to finally see some animation in the West that unlike the vast majority of it didn't talk down to the audience.

...It was lovely to finally see some animation in the West that unlike the vast majority of it didn't talk down to the audience.
This was the reason my friends and I enjoyed the Looney Tunes cartoons they showed on TV far more than any of the "Saturday morning" rubbish. The Looney Tunes cartoons were produced primarily for adults, something to entertain them during the intermission between movies in theaters. But the others were "dumbed down" because the people producing them obviously believed children were stupid and couldn't understand humor written at an "adult" level. o_O Even as kids we knew when we were being talked down to, and we didn't like it.

Edward

Bartender
This was the reason my friends and I enjoyed the Looney Tunes cartoons they showed on TV far more than any of the "Saturday morning" rubbish. The Looney Tunes cartoons were produced primarily for adults, something to entertain them during the intermission between movies in theaters. But the others were "dumbed down" because the people producing them obviously believed children were stupid and couldn't understand humor written at an "adult" level. o_O Even as kids we knew when we were being talked down to, and we didn't like it.

I always found Warner Brothers much more entertaining than Disney - much more subversive, too.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
On the NBC streaming service, Peacock, it was S1E1 of Murder, She Wrote, a series I have never seen, followed by a Columbo mystery, Murder by the Book, which is I guess the second entry in the series. The Missus liked Murder... , not so much Columbo. Waiting for Ellery Queen to surface, and the Nero Wolfe series with Timothy Hutton as Archie.

I PLOWED through Cobra Kai and absolutely loved it. For an 80’s kid it’s pretty mint. Started Wanda Vision and thought it was brilliant. Loved Mando season 2. Lots of great app based content of late and watching my cable cutting “money saver” plan evaporate in a desert of streaming services is almost as entertaining as the programs themselves.

Edward

Bartender
I PLOWED through Cobra Kai and absolutely loved it. For an 80’s kid it’s pretty mint. Started Wanda Vision and thought it was brilliant. Loved Mando season 2. Lots of great app based content of late and watching my cable cutting “money saver” plan evaporate in a desert of streaming services is almost as entertaining as the programs themselves.

Disney seems to have a surprising number of things on their streaming service that I might actually want to see, but I'm going to wait until they sell them down to other platforms. Already got Netflix, Prime and my TV licence; not interested in another pay-for platform. Just wish Prime would get faster at putting stuff onto my 'included' list rather than films nearly a year old still being "pay more for".

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
With the family - Supernatural, now started season nine to catch them up.

On my own when time permits - just finished season one of Heartbeat, Britbox only has the one season so far.

Watching Ripper Street again while on the treadmill, just now into series three, the first one back after the cancellation backlash.

Also on Britbox, have started watching To the Manor Born, haven't seen it in decades, one of our family's (mine growing up) favourite "Britcoms". I still remember the laugh we had when my father said "that's a funny name, PEN-el-OHp". As in Penelope Keith, as in Pen-EL-OH-pee.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
You’ve got to stick with it :) first season starts off slow and characters gradually develop, it’s like the actors are finding their feet and then it really takes off. What’s really worth a try if you can get access is ‘Still Game’ a crazy comedy about Scottish pensioners.

TBP is one of my favourites, and the Christmas special is a Christmas eve tradition for my wife and I, as we watched it live as it were, Xmas Eve 2004 after my proposal, during its broadcast premiere.

Only times we have not watched it together, the two times I was deployed at sea over Christmas!

Still Game is on Netflix Canada, have not had a chance to see it, will give it a look when I can!

bn1966

TBP is one of my favourites, and the Christmas special is a Christmas eve tradition for my wife and I, as we watched it live as it were, Xmas Eve 2004 after my proposal, during its broadcast premiere.

Only times we have not watched it together, the two times I was deployed at sea over Christmas!

Still Game is on Netflix Canada, have not had a chance to see it, will give it a look when I can!

‘Still Game’ is totally mad, needs a couple of episodes for the characters to ‘bed in’. My Wife hates TPB so I have to watch it quietly on my I Pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ