Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The ABC Murders" - This Amazon Prime offering stars John Malkovic as Hercule Poirot. Not well versed in this character having only seen a few films based upon him... I went into this completely blind. Except for a few scenes where Malkovic's "accent" all but disappears this was a wholly enjoyable 3 hours of television. I really liked the costumes, atmosphere and the understated tone of the whole affair. I did NOT see the twist coming at the end and give kudos to the original writer and the adaptors for surprising me for once. One question though, was the origin story of the detective portrayed his "true" origin?

Worf

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
With me wife, Fargo season 3 episode, and insomnia viewing, a Red Dwarf episode, series 3. The one where the photo developer mutates and allows them to enter the photos like time and space travel. Mayhem ensued...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The second episode of Stanley Tucci's "Searching for Italy" on CNN. I loved last week's episode, and this one, set in Rome, was also wonderful. So much delicious food! I wish they'd go to the Piedmont region, as that is where my family is from. One of these days I'm going to make to our village, Volpiano, and meet all my relatives. I have a place to stay with my cousin whenever I want - just need to book the plane ticket!

The first episode of The Luminaries on Starz. We signed up to Starz just for this show. After watching Green in Penny Dreadful, we have high hopes. The first episode was okay, but not as good as we hoped. The cast (happy to see Marton Csokas) seems pretty good and the visuals entertaining enough so hopefully the story will pick up. :D

Edward

Bartender
"The ABC Murders" - This Amazon Prime offering stars John Malkovic as Hercule Poirot. Not well versed in this character having only seen a few films based upon him... I went into this completely blind. Except for a few scenes where Malkovic's "accent" all but disappears this was a wholly enjoyable 3 hours of television. I really liked the costumes, atmosphere and the understated tone of the whole affair. I did NOT see the twist coming at the end and give kudos to the original writer and the adaptors for surprising me for once. One question though, was the origin story of the detective portrayed his "true" origin?

Worf

It's not cannon per Christie's original books - Wikipedia covers well what she did have of his background - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercule_Poirot#Origins That said, it was cleverly written in a way which could work without contradicting cannon, if you took his earlier references to have been part of his cover-up.

The definitive Poirot as in Christie's Poirot will always be, for me, David Suchet, but for those I've seen (all bar the first here: https://inews.co.uk/culture/televis...branagh-john-malkovich-agatha-christie-239399) I have enjoyed them all. I'd certainly rather see a new take on them than someone simply trying to repeat Suchet. On that basis, I particularly enjoyed Malcovich. Brannagh was a bit more of a 'Downey Junior / Guy Ritchie' type take on him, but great fun nonetheless. I'd like to see someone try their hand at a 'modern' version a la Sherlock.

I once had pizza in Napoli. No where near Chicago south side pizza. Not even close.
I had a love/hate relationship with Naples. The Italian version of 1970's NY City. Messy, noisy, edgy and somehow weirdly appealing. We went shopping and in my naivete could not understand why everyone had their radio/cassette players from their car carried with them in the shopping cart. It wasn't until I saw the roving gangs of criminals that I realized it was to save them from theft. At least the street pizza was cheap......we named them 'grease 'pies'....but cheap and filling.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
EE775706-B4AA-4B46-8BDD-7EBA369D814C.jpeg

Last night my wife and I finished watching the Widower. It is Dateline NBC first multi-episode true crime drama.
The series follows detectives over multiple years tracking clues to bring a wife killer to justice. The suspect is to say the very least, strange. The suspect had six wives and four of them died. In each case he profited via multiple insurance policies.
As we watched each episode, our hearts and prayers went out to his victims and families. This is a must watch for true crime drama viewers.

Steven

Finishing up Season 4 of Vikings. I think this season is the low point and alas it has jumped the shark. Running out of plot lines and are reverting to Viking sex scenes. There are multiple seasons coming so hopefully they find their legs again. But then how many times can you watch pillaging, murder, mayhem and the requisite sex scene and still find it interesting?

Edward

Bartender
Finishing up Season 4 of Vikings. I think this season is the low point and alas it has jumped the shark. Running out of plot lines and are reverting to Viking sex scenes. There are multiple seasons coming so hopefully they find their legs again. But then how many times can you watch pillaging, murder, mayhem and the requisite sex scene and still find it interesting?

I enjoyed the full run, though I did wish they'd spent more time with Ragnar before moving on the narrative to the sons. The first series without him was a little slow, but it picks up again thereafter. The politics become more intricate and it's interesting seeing the development from raiders to military strategists.

The one thing I really wish they'd spent more time with was the teasing with Ragnar's philosophies and his relationship with Athelstan; their 'odd couple' friendship was genuinely fascinating and really well written. I'd love to see a follow-up show that covered something similar, exploring the conversion process of a Viking settlement that converts to Christianity (which was happening even back then; while the sacrifice tree including human sacrifices to the old gods was still going on, there were some areas bought their way out of it as they had already converted and did not want to be involved). It's an interesting concept, how a switch in religion and religious practice could change a culture, and in particular interesting to see how a culture to some extent redefines Christianity to comprehend it through the lens of their own experience.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

After you've seen three or four villages sacked, rape, kill, pillage, and burn usual stuff, its gets old horn helmet.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Rediscovered The X-Files on Hulu. Working through season one. Didn't really catch it the first time around, so there's a lot of background and exposition for the series arc that we're just now getting
I'm thinking a lot of exteriors were filmed in Canada, which accounts for many cases situated in "Minnesota" or "Oregon" or "upstate New York".
The company with the stage prop license plate contract must have done well.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
A couple of episodes of Men in Kilts on Starz. Entertaining enough to continue watching.
:D
Puddin', who's a BIG "Outlander", fan has been buggin' me to re-subscribe to STARZ so she can drool over her current fave piece of hunky man flesh who stars in both shows. How big a fan is she? She signed up (pre covid) for an Outlander Tour of Scotland. I of course demurred as I like to travel "free n' easy" when I visit foreign lands. Also I've not watched one minute of the show. Thus far I've forestalled joining any other streaming services (I'm about to cancel Disney truth be told) but I like to keep her happy (and non-violent) so I may have to relent. Anything else worth watching on that channel?

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"SOUL!" - In 1968 WNET (Public Television in NYC at the time) began airing what can rightfully be considered the first Afro-Centric variety show in television history. Running from '68 to '73 SOUL, hosted by one or more individuals, would feature black musical artists of the day, poets, political figures etc... in an hour long weekly format. Being funded on a shoe string it bore little or no resemblance to say "The Ed Sullivan Show" or other's of it's ilk. My family watched it religiously, other than "Julia" on NBC "SOUL" was the only other program we watched as a family. Mom didn't watch much TV and Dad mostly watched "shoot em ups".

Given the nature of the show and technical limitations of time, I assumed that SOUL was lost to the dim mist of time. Lo and behold a friend informed me that PBS just released a documentary on the show this month (which I still haven't found). But to even greater surprise AMAZON had culled some of best episodes and made them available for streaming. The first episode features music by Jerry Butler (who also hosted), Archie Bell and the Drells and an interview with Muhammed Ali. Wow... The second episode featured music by LaBelle (Patti LaBelle is a force of nature) and the band "Mandrill". I remember watching this episode live as a kid, it was the first and only time I can recall the audience literally dancing in the aisles during this show. Mandrill was one of my seminal musical influences my band at the time did our best to cover their music the performance is one of the finest live shows I've ever seen on TV... period! It was like watching a volcano erupt. And to round out the evening they aired an extensive interview with the mother of George Jackson, one of the Soledad Brothers who'd been murdered by guards while in prison in California.

Politic aside, this show is a priceless window into a most turbulent time in our nations history. If you've never seen or heard of the show, give those two episodes a watch if nothing else.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Mr Mercedes on Prime. Anything with Brendan Gleeson in it is a joy; he's particularly good in this adaptation of Stephen King's detective trilogy.

Also caught the last episode of the latest adaptation of The Stand, excellent stuff.

The second series of Pennyworth is starting now on Prime, and I will be jumping on that after I finish Mr Mercedes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21