Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We have Amazon Prime and getting Starz thru it is only $5.99 CAD a month, but it has for reasons I do not know, season two of Pennyworth, but not season one.

And it does not have the Eva Green show at all.

I must assume that national versions of this platform have different schedules.

Bummer!

We have Amazon Prime and getting Starz thru it is only $5.99 CAD a month, but it has for reasons I do not know, season two of Pennyworth, but not season one.

Bummer!
Our version of Starz does not have Pennyworth or Doom Patrol. It has a lot of bad television from the seventies and eighties. They were bad shows in their day and have not gotten better with age. We watched Black Sails a few years ago and enjoyed it, overall, I would say that there is not much worth watching on Starz. :D

Edward

Bartender

Bummer!

Gah, that is a shame. FWIW, it would be ideal to see Season 1 of Pennyworth first, but while there are obviously events that go to character in the first series, the dramatic flow of the second is sufficiently contained (at least so far, three of ten episodes in) that I think you could still make perfect sense of it, then treat season one as a prequel of sorts. It's one show I'll be buying a BD box set of as soon as it is "complete", though I do hope it runs for some series yet. The one thing I can't find any information on yet is whether it's purely a television conceit (like Gotham), or whether there is a graphic novel source material to it. If the latter doesn't exist, it would be a perfect medium to flesh out further the Pennyworth universe. Clearly, as best as I can make out, WW2 wasn't quite the same Allied success (did Britain reach an uneasy truce with Hitler in 1940?), the Blackshirts (known instead as the Raven League) remained a significant threat, there's no Prince Phillip but a young and single Queen Liz on the throne in the version of the sixties in which this is set... Oh, and executions are publicly screened on television, and the gibbet is still a thing. There's huge room for a graphic novel backdrop to explain the wider universe in which the first series takes place, let alone the second, and the period in between. Cracking show, with so much room to keep it going for a long time.

Our version of Starz does not have Pennyworth or Doom Patrol. It has a lot of bad television from the seventies and eighties. They were bad shows in their day and have not gotten better with age. We watched Black Sails a few years ago and enjoyed it, overall, I would say that there is not much worth watching on Starz. :D

Clearly a very different animal from the version we have in the UK. That's a real shame.

Gah, that is a shame. FWIW, it would be ideal to see Season 1 of Pennyworth first, but while there are obviously events that go to character in the first series, the dramatic flow of the second is sufficiently contained (at least so far, three of ten episodes in) that I think you could still make perfect sense of it, then treat season one as a prequel of sorts. It's one show I'll be buying a BD box set of as soon as it is "complete", though I do hope it runs for some series yet. The one thing I can't find any information on yet is whether it's purely a television conceit (like Gotham), or whether there is a graphic novel source material to it. If the latter doesn't exist, it would be a perfect medium to flesh out further the Pennyworth universe. Clearly, as best as I can make out, WW2 wasn't quite the same Allied success (did Britain reach an uneasy truce with Hitler in 1940?), the Blackshirts (known instead as the Raven League) remained a significant threat, there's no Prince Phillip but a young and single Queen Liz on the throne in the version of the sixties in which this is set... Oh, and executions are publicly screened on television, and the gibbet is still a thing. There's huge room for a graphic novel backdrop to explain the wider universe in which the first series takes place, let alone the second, and the period in between. Cracking show, with so much room to keep it going for a long time.

Clearly a very different animal from the version we have in the UK. That's a real shame.
Once The Luminaries is over, we will leave Starz behind. Although I should give American Gods a chance. I barely remember the only episode that I have seen, but Ian McShane is in it so I figure I should give it a shot. :D

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
We watched the premiere episode of Debris, but did not find it compelling. Maybe with another episode or two it will engage. Still working through Murdoch Mysteries and Monk. Waiting for the return of Brokenwood Mysteries.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Finished WandaVision last night. It was a struggle to get through the first few episodes because you're wondering what in the hell is going on, BUT, if you stick with it, you are well rewarded.

More episodes of Mr. Robot. This is a fantastic show. I'm struggling to not watch it during the week because the BF and I watch it together on the weekends.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Into The Darkness" - This Hulu anthology series by Blumhouse is primarily made for TV horror films. In that these "films" are cut and shot in a way so as to allow for their use on "regular" TV or cable someday, there's little or no graphic horror content in any of them. So far there's about 20 or so of these "films", we've seen 6 and only 3 really stand out, primarily for the acting by the leads. All of these movies are linked to US Holidays so bear that in mind...

"POOKA" - This bizarre adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" is brilliant. The threads are subtle and the I really didn't "get it" until some things were explained to me. Stunning acting, real deal, thought provoking redemption tale. Good use of an hour and a half.

"Flesh and Blood" - This one is all tension ratcheted up to 11 on a scale of 5. Young woman realizes everything ain't quite "right" with her white van driving Dad. More blood in this one let me tell you, but not buckets.

"Culture Shock" - This episode, filmed in 2019 centers around a pregnant woman's attempt to cross the border to have her child. The first 40 minutes of this are in Spanish and shows in details the horrors and dangers of a border crossing under the previous administration. Part "Get Out" part "Stepford Wives" this film hits like a hammer. Not overly preachy but there is a slant. Not for everyone but I loved it.

Worf

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We have started Parks and Recreation as a family and absolutely loving it! So funny.

Wife and I have seen three of ten episodes of Damnation, a Netflix limited series. Clearly shot in Canada given the casting, and one lead I know from Ripper Street (Inspector Dove). Really liking it so far!

Edward

Bartender
I finished most of the shows I was watching last week, so have been flitting between a few things. On Prime, Goodnight Sweetheart, the early 1990s sitcom featuring a modern man who travels between WW2 and modern-day London. In reviewing it all these years later, it's interesting to see what has and has not dated. The 90s bits have a real 'time travel' sense to them now.

Truthseekers, Nick Frost's sitcom about wifi repairmen who are also paranormal hunters is good fun. Well realised, nicely paced. Just a shame it's not been renewed for a second series. Destined to be a bit of a cult.

Last night was the return of Line of Duty. It's going to be a long few weeks in between each episode from hereon...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was a big "Goodnight Sweetheart" fan in the '90s, and in rewatching it recently I was struck by how -- well, shamelessly contemptible -- the lead character comes across as being. Gary Sparrow, for better or worse, points directly forward to the antiheroes of 2000s-2010s "quality television."

It was interesting also to see the one-shot revival-revisitation of the show that came out a few years ago -- which took the fish-out-of-water time-travel premise and doubled it back on itself.

Edward

Bartender
I was a big "Goodnight Sweetheart" fan in the '90s, and in rewatching it recently I was struck by how -- well, shamelessly contemptible -- the lead character comes across as being. Gary Sparrow, for better or worse, points directly forward to the antiheroes of 2000s-2010s "quality television."

It's certainly interesting now watching how they portray his wife, Yvonne, in a negative light, presumably to help the viewer get past the idea of him cheating. That said, she was still more of a sympathetic character (at least in the original, less so the one-of) than might often have been the case back then, and on a re-watch now it does feel that there was something more of a sense of Gary's torn loyalties. I'm not sure how that would play out now; notably in the next big 'time travel' show of a similar vein that came about on the Beeb, Life on Mars, it was only after it was made clear that Maya had moved on from Sam before in his coma dream he was 'allowed' to fall in love with Annie.

It was interesting also to see the one-shot revival-revisitation of the show that came out a few years ago -- which took the fish-out-of-water time-travel premise and doubled it back on itself.

Yes, I thought they did that really well - even from the pov of the theme tune being given a 'merseybeat' feel. It would have been interesting to see that pan out as a series. They'd have to get round the obvious problem of all Gary's songs he supposedly wrote being produced by the 'real' sources, but I'm sure in sitcomland that would be easy enough. It is rumoured still that a series could be in the offing, but who knows. The one-shot did seem to be popular, and the original has held up well in terms of not offending modern sensibilities to an impossible degree, unlike, say, a show like Friends which has proven problematic on that front for the Netflix generation. Much as the original played with many of the British identarian mythologies of WW2, the much-fetishised in British popular culture "Sixties" could well do with being taken down a peg or two.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Raised by Wolves" - Three episodes in and we've found it fascinating Sci-Fi. Interesting take on religion and the fact that, with a few twists here or there in our real history, Christianity might have lost out to a rival. I know it's compelling television when Puddin' is whining for "just one more episode" at 2 in the morning.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner