Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Maybe that's the purpose of such things.... I remember reading somewhere that the readers of "Monarchy" magazine a few years ago vote Henry VIII "Britain's favourite historical monarch" and pondering whether they'd have felt so well disposed towards him had they lived during his rule!

I am an Edward III fan myself...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw an art documentary that suggested that our unending fascination with the court of Henry VIII (*) was, besides all the important history and drama of that period, due to Hans Holbein's paintings. Stunning images that capture the personalities of all the major players - Henry, the wives, Thomas More, Thomas Cromwell, Cardinal Woolsey, etc. - like a glossy magazine spread that brings the history alive. An uniquely well-documented period with all the research a costume designer and makeup artist could want right in the portraits. Well, it's an interesting theory.

(* I count myself one of the fascinated, I've watched nearly every film and TV drama about these guys since The Six Wives of Henry VIII ran on American TV in 1971!)

Edward

Bartender
I saw an art documentary that suggested that our unending fascination with the court of Henry VIII (*) was, besides all the important history and drama of that period, due to Hans Holbein's paintings. Stunning images that capture the personalities of all the major players - Henry, the wives, Thomas More, Thomas Cromwell, Cardinal Woolsey, etc. - like a glossy magazine spread that brings the history alive. An uniquely well-documented period with all the research a costume designer and makeup artist could want right in the portraits. Well, it's an interesting theory.

(* I count myself one of the fascinated, I've watched nearly every film and TV drama about these guys since The Six Wives of Henry VIII ran on American TV in 1971!)

There could be something in that. He is, of course, quite pivotal in the shape of the English state even today (with the continuation of the established Church of England and the monarch as its head), but there's no doubt that people respond better or with more interest to history when there's not only a strong narrative, but something that can humanise it all - and those strong images of him do it well.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I decided years ago I would not care how it ended, as I know they will please no one. We have not seen any of the final episodes, and are waiting for the ultimate blu-ray set at some point. We have heard some spoilers, but may just not watch the finale!
Don't bother watching the finale as it will infuriate you. I'm still mad and it's been three weeks!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
C'mon! Don't be shy, tell us how you REALLY feel! Never watched one second of this show... but I see that you did. Did the ending suck as much as GoT or "Lost"?

Worf
I've never seen the endings of either those shows, but heard the outcry: and yes, Supernatural was just the same.

The fact that Jensen Ackles, who has played the main character of Dean the entirety of the show, had to be talked into why the show should end as it did by multiple people tells me everything I need to know. He wasn't onboard with it, and there's as very good reason why: it totally destroyed his character.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Boyfriend and I have watched two seasons of Fargo. We started with the very latest season with Chris Rock which was quite good; then we started at the beginning with the first season. Wow. They're great shows, and in Season 1 with Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, well, their performances were great.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Maybe that's the purpose of such things.... I remember reading somewhere that the readers of "Monarchy" magazine a few years ago vote Henry VIII "Britain's favourite historical monarch" and pondering whether they'd have felt so well disposed towards him had they lived during his rule!

For sure. Like most things, it's about perception, not the actual person.

Edward

Bartender
Over the weekend, I binge-watched the BBC's Whitechapel on Netflix. The series originally ran about ten years ago. A modern-day set police procedural, featuring crimes based on - including direct copycats of - historical crimes in the Whitechapel area. Filmed on location, lots of fun spots for those of us who live round here (as well as the inevitability that the Grave Maurice - alone of the pubs - was replaced by a stand-in as when they filmed it had either not long gone out of business, or been too tarted up to be recognisable, as it was -and , briefly, badly renamed - not long before it closed.) Jack the Ripper, the Krays, the Ratcliff Highway massacre and others all get a look in. Well worth checking out if it's available locally. I'd seen the first two series on original broadcast, missed the third, and had no idea there had been a fourth.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Wife and I taking a break on occasion from Christmas fare, have now seen first two episodes of The Boys. We started as Jensen Ackles, formerly of Supernatural, has joined the cast, so we are catching up. Really enjoyed the episodes, looking forward to playing catch up.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Cairo Cavalcade of Christmas Continues with The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (Boris Karloff original, not the Jim Carey abortion) and of course the Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special.

So many of his special guests gone - Dinah Shore, Joan Rivers, Little Richard, Zsa Zsa Gabor, all three Del Rubio triplets, Annette Funicello.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Season Finale of "The Mandalorian". I'm a "Treker" minted with the original series back in '65. I saw the premiere of "Star Wars" while on leave in Manhattan with my cousin Daryl and his girlfriend. I loved it and liked to two sequels as well. After viewing one hour of the prequels I swore I'd never waste another minute of my life watching anything George Lucas was associated with. I got sucked into the Mandalorian by the whole "Baby Yoda" kerfuffle. Season one was entertaining, season 2 had it's ups and downs. It didn't mean much to me as characters from the extended "canon" drifted in and out, it's too much to catch up on and I don't have the desire or years to do so. In the season finale Baby Yoda or "Grogo" is saved from the clutches of the remnant of the Empire by someone BIG (no spoilers here). Folks on YouTube were either ecstatic or ready to burn Disney to the ground. The only thing I noticed or reacted to was the HORRIBLE CGI used to bring this character to life. Talk about janky. You'll have to watch it for yourselves to see which course of action is most appropriate.

Worf

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Craft in America. PBS series on art, craft, and artisans. I believe this entire season is only two episodes, but I wouldn't bet money on that, though they are never long seasons. One of my favorite programs on TV. Period. Though this season and last have been quite political, the rest remain incredibly well done. If there are other series like this, please point to them. Maybe local stations doing something similar and shining light on their local artisans and communities? Fascinating and important.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Confess, you read Monarchy, and probably subscribe.;)
I discovered The Tudors and that delectable little cupcake Natalie Dormer who played Anne Boleyn,
in all places, Las Vegas while at a conference. I usually eschew television altogether but made the
mistake of switching on the set and flipping out for the lady. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy