Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The first four episodes of Escape at Dannemora, the new Showtime miniseries with Paul Dano, Benicio del Toro, and Patricia Arquette (and, surprisingly, directed by Ben Stiller). It's very well done, and it's a helluva story... but it's annoyingly dragged out at seven episodes. I think it would have been far more effective at around five episodes. Expect an Emmy nom for Arquette.

Mrs. Maisel is back. We are watching the first episode now. Hopefully it will hold up.

I thought this season's first episode had everything that is good about the show - a beautiful, over-stylized look at the late '50s and rapid-fire dialogue with wonderful full-speed asides - and what isn't as good - some weak plot lines around the family drama (the mother's move to Paris - please) and a too-slow rollout of Mrs. Maisel's interesting comedy career.

But the show, IMHO, is not about the family dynamics, it's all about the style, speed-chess-like dialogue and a window into that era's comedy business.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The first four episodes of Escape at Dannemora, the new Showtime miniseries with Paul Dano, Benicio del Toro, and Patricia Arquette (and, surprisingly, directed by Ben Stiller). It's very well done, and it's a helluva story... but it's annoyingly dragged out at seven episodes. I think it would have been far more effective at around five episodes. Expect an Emmy nom for Arquette.
agreed on all points. recommended.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Counterpart. Starz. If you're into shows like The Americans and not watching Counterpart, you're missing out. This is one of the most interesting and smart spycrafty/sci-fi shows on TV, in my opinion. Mr.Robot tried to be like this, but it didn't have the depth and scope of story like this does. This series feels like they knew where they wanted to go and know how to achieve it. Not the "Oh, we got renewed for another season? We better come up with some drawn out nonsense to keep it going." Continues to impress me. I will say that when you have this many characters and relationships playing in a story of temporal complexities, they almost need a 10-minute refresher when they open a new season. It's been too long since the end of season one for me to remember it all.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
More Last Kingdom and my wife and I have started on Outlander. I've read the first three books. She is not entirely keen (odd, this is supposed to be a "female" thing) but I have told her the story picks up, quickly, violently, and weirdly...

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Vikings. History Channel. I've read that this is considered to be Game of Thrones Lite. I wish. This show is stupid. I don't know if the intent is to make vikings seem like idiots, but if so, it at least does that well. I said this last year, but I would really like to know what the actors are thinking when they read the scripts. I'd especially like to know what Alexander Ludwig thinks (Bjorn Ironside). It could be his interpretation too, but then what would be the excuse for the rest of the dialog? Bjorn is one level shy of an ape post-mace to the head. Ivar, as a character, is one-dimensional. Make a face. Say something nuts and intimidating. Repeat. He's supposed to be the brains of the family. Have we had our first over-the-top ceremony yet this season? If not, we got one next week.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Vikings. History Channel. I've read that this is considered to be Game of Thrones Lite. I wish. This show is stupid. I don't know if the intent is to make vikings seem like idiots, but if so, it at least does that well. I said this last year, but I would really like to know what the actors are thinking when they read the scripts. I'd especially like to know what Alexander Ludwig thinks (Bjorn Ironside). It could be his interpretation too, but then what would be the excuse for the rest of the dialog? Bjorn is one level shy of an ape post-mace to the head. Ivar, as a character, is one-dimensional. Make a face. Say something nuts and intimidating. Repeat. He's supposed to be the brains of the family. Have we had our first over-the-top ceremony yet this season? If not, we got one next week.

I hear you but I didn't think it was much more stupid than Game of Thrones which I managed to watch for 3 seasons despite it being ridiculously camp and reminiscent of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Last edited:
We stopped watching after the first episode of last season. It finally got to the point where we could no longer waste our time/lives watching it.
:D

Edward

Bartender
After my first six weeks or so on Prime, I'm one episode away from finishing series 3 of Man in the High Castle. I like it a lot. Also been watching Fear the Walking Dead. I'm a big fan of the original, having been following the comic book since the start, but I also very much enjoyed the slower pace of the first season of this spin off, showing how the outbreak hit some folks, and the 'zombie-lite' nature of it. At times it feels almost more like the old BBC show Survivors (which was reduxed a few years ago, but sadly got cancelled after one series).

Thank you. Fell without grace or agility off a roof last Tuesday. I was just seconds away from finishing and plop. It broke in three pieces and shifted out of place. I will find out about surgery tomorrow. It’s more annoying than painful. I am too clumsy to get around like I want and need. Oh well. Luckily, it was only a foot.
:D

Better a foot than a head! Hope you're up and about as normal soon.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Also been watching Fear the Walking Dead. I'm a big fan of the original, having been following the comic book since the start, but I also very much enjoyed the slower pace of the first season of this spin off

I have been a fan since before day one (on AMC, they showed teaser clips during commercials, the outbreak happening on board an aircraft, which you see the results of on an early series one episode).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany