Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

The Offer (2022), a ten-part miniseries about the making of The Godfather (1972). I haven't heard or read anything about this miniseries that suggests it's wildly inaccurate with one exception--the inclusion of Thomas Lucchese, who died in July of 1967 from a brain tumor, and should not have been included past the first couple of episodes--so I'm going to assume it's reasonably factual. If you're interested in seeing how deals were made in Hollywood in the late-1960s in order to get movies made, I think this is worth your time.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The original Lost in Space, which ran 1965 - 1968. It looks like they spent a lot of money on sets and props. And those aluminum foil space coveralls must have been hot under studio lights. About 4 episodes in.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities" - This Netflix show has Del Toro doing his best Rod Serling (Night Gallery) and Hitchcock impressions as he introduces 8 individual tales of horror by 8 different directors. The pieces range everywhere from classic ghost stories to Lovecraftian tales of eldritch horror to relatively current stories on the horrifying vapidity of modern Americans. Each director has an hour plus to tell a tale in their own distinctive manner. Not all of them are great, truth be told, I fell asleep on one of them, but they all are engaging in their own way. I wouldn't rate it as a "must see" but I'd say you could watch a lot worse.

Worf

The premiere episode of Tulsa King (2022) starring Sylvester Stallone as New York mafia capo Dwight "The General" Manfredi". Basic premise--Manfredi is released from prison after 25 years and is expecting to be rewarded for doing his time without saying anything about his "career". Instead, he's "exiled" to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he assembles a "crew" and begins to establish mafia presence where none has previously existed. Good performances (considering the far-fetched premise) but this episode moved kinda' slow. I'd like to watch at least one more, but I can't see this becoming a "must see" show until it gets a LOT more interesting.

The premiere episode of Tulsa King (2022) starring Sylvester Stallone as New York mafia capo Dwight "The General" Manfredi". Basic premise--Manfredi is released from prison after 25 years and is expecting to be rewarded for doing his time without saying anything about his "career". Instead, he's "exiled" to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he assembles a "crew" and begins to establish mafia presence where none has previously existed. Good performances (considering the far-fetched premise) but this episode moved kinda' slow. I'd like to watch at least one more, but I can't see this becoming a "must see" show until it gets a LOT more interesting.
I was driving up from DFW airport on my way to OKCity. Wanted to take a detour to see Tulsa. It was late at night and I wandered into a biker bar in Denton. Asked a table of bikers for the most scenic route to Tulsa. They asked..."Why you wanna go there?" I repllied just to see what was there. They replied....."Ain't nothing there, don't bother" and turned their backs on me. I took their advice and skipped Tulsa.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Slowly making my way through the new season of The Crown.

Magpie Murders is playing on PBS's Masterpiece Theater here in the states and I am thoroughly enjoying it, too!

Edward

Bartender
"Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities" - This Netflix show has Del Toro doing his best Rod Serling (Night Gallery) and Hitchcock impressions as he introduces 8 individual tales of horror by 8 different directors. The pieces range everywhere from classic ghost stories to Lovecraftian tales of eldritch horror to relatively current stories on the horrifying vapidity of modern Americans. Each director has an hour plus to tell a tale in their own distinctive manner. Not all of them are great, truth be told, I fell asleep on one of them, but they all are engaging in their own way. I wouldn't rate it as a "must see" but I'd say you could watch a lot worse.

Worf

I enjoyed that too. The penultimate episode ("The Viewing") was dreadful - all set-up, no real resolution or point to the story, but the rest were all watchable to very good indeed. The best by a country mile were the two based on Lovecraft stories. Del Toro is a big fan of Lovecraft: I'm really hoping eventually he'll make a full series based on the Cthulu mythos.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed that too. The penultimate episode ("The Viewing") was dreadful - all set-up, no real resolution or point to the story, but the rest were all watchable to very good indeed. The best by a country mile were the two based on Lovecraft stories. Del Toro is a big fan of Lovecraft: I'm really hoping eventually he'll make a full series based on the Cthulu mythos.
Well, I kinda liked "The Viewing". I've never done psychedelics but at least I got a taste of what it might be like from this tale. My fave was the last episode. A truly sad and touching ghost story... But I'm glad you saw the series. I read a lot of Lovecraft in Junior High, most if not all of the Mythos... Only a few of the film adaptations ever did it for me.... Tough tales to translate.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Well, I kinda liked "The Viewing". I've never done psychedelics but at least I got a taste of what it might be like from this tale. My fave was the last episode. A truly sad and touching ghost story... But I'm glad you saw the series. I read a lot of Lovecraft in Junior High, most if not all of the Mythos... Only a few of the film adaptations ever did it for me.... Tough tales to translate.

Worf

I think that's part of why De Toro's run at them appealed so much: he really 'got' them. I'd probably have been more positive about The Viewing with a better ending; it just sort of fizzled out a bit. Great set up, but the payoff wasn't there for me. The rest, though, great. I hope they do another series.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"1899" - From the same folks that gave you "Dark" on Netflix several years ago. I made it through the first season of "Dark" but that was it. I might have to go back and give that one another try. As for "1899" it's as thoroughly confusing and bewildering as "Dark" but it's pre-WWI time frame intrigues me. The story follows about 8 characters booked on a post Titanic ocean liner called the (something or other). The line only has two ships. The sister ship to the one we're on is called the Prometheus and it's been listed as "missing" for four months. Four months in the age of coal fired steam engines means either the ship went down or its still afloat but carrying only corpses as no liner of the time carried 4 months of food for 1,450 passengers and crew.

Midway though the voyage a radio signal is picked up, repeating the same coordinates over and over. The Captain decides, against all other advice, to follow the rules of the sea and attempt to render aid. Upon arriving at the coordinates they find... you guessed it, the Prometheus adrift with only one survivor, a boy who was discovered locked inside a bar in the ships main dining room. From this point on... everything and I do mean EVERYTHING goes sideways. Every character on the ship has some tragic or bizarre backstory involving theft, loss, lust or death. I wish I could say more but this is one series you actually have to see to understand... kinda like "Lost", no one can explain it to you.

Great atmosphere, wonderful costumes, even a bit of steampunk aesthetic for those who like that genre. One mysterious and fascinating program.

Worf

On the numbers/date them I am watching "!883" the Yellowstone prequel. 3 episodes in and I am loving it. Will go on to watch Yellowstone season 5 when all the episodes are uploaded.....hate starting and having to wait week over week.

"The Howard Stern Interview: Bruce Springsteen" on HBO (and HBO Max). I haven't listened to Howard Stern's show since he left the radio waves and went subscription satellite, and I've never really been much of a Springsteen fan--I don't dislike him, but didn't find his music to be particularly engaging. That said, I really enjoyed this interview. Stern behaved himself, for the most part (best behavior, treated Mr. Springsteen with respect, only a few curse words), and Mr. Springsteen was quite interesting as he spoke "in general" about how he writes songs, moments from his life, and so on. Dyed-in-the-wool Springsteen fans might not learn anything new, but will probably like seeing him interacting with Stern and performing the few songs he did. I thought it was two hours well spent.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Wednesday" - Netflix has decided (in their infinite wisdom) to mine the depths of old pop culture once again by providing a series based around the titular Wednesday Addams of the Addams Family show from the 60's. Updated and fleshed out we follow Wednesday as she gets expelled AGAIN from a normal school and winds up at her mother's alma mater, Nevermore Academy. Nevermore, as you might guess from its name, caters to a most "unique" clientele. Vampires, werewolves, sirens and all sorts of lesser known creatures of the night stalk its hallowed halls. Of course as soon as Wednesday shows up the murders and mutilations start.

The first few episodes were fun and brilliant, but then the show takes a left turn into CW territory with angst ridden teenaged romance and backstabbing taking center stage. I also found the whole "deadpan, too cool for school" Wednesday vibe a bit tiring after a while. 8 hours of snarky douchiness is bit much for anyone to take over the long haul. On the whole the show's well acted and the budget was not spared but still... I don't know if I care enough to watch a second season of this or not... who knows?

Worf

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ