Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
I finished the first disc of Season 3 of The Office last night. So far not as good as Season 2 but it's clear they're doing a lot of plot set up so I'm not giving up yet.

Definitely don't give up, no spoilers here, but it does get really really really funny as it goes on through Season 3.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night was a show on gamma ray bursts that develop in deep space. Should one hit earth it would erase the ozone layer and eventually wipe out most of life here. The History Channel has such uplifting programs.:confused:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I finished the first disc of Season 3 of The Office last night. So far not as good as Season 2 but it's clear they're doing a lot of plot set up so I'm not giving up yet.

I hope that's the original English version and not the (I'm sorry but...) pathetic, unfunny US ripoff!

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Not to start a fight or anything, but you do know it's NOT a ripoff, since Ricky Gervais created and wrote BOTH. The US version is pretty freakin' hilarious, but it maybe less "globally" funny, and funny more to us Yanks.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I know he was involved in it, but IMHO it's a poor cousin of the original.

I'll admit that for American tastes it's probably hilarious but for the UK and Commonwealth countries which have the British cultural taste for humour and were treated to the UK version, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

It is actually interesting the large difference in humour which exists between the US and the UK. Who said "two countries divided by a common language (or should that be humour)".

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Usually only catch sports or PBS, but watched Human Weapon
to touch base with my wild reckless martial arts youth--been a long while
since I was inside a ring. :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I get bored with TV shows.:mad:
Followed the first "24 hours" because it was a new concept - got bored half way through.
"Friends" was good - haven't seen them all though.

Is "Foyles War" a TV show? OK - that's fantastic.
So was "Morse".

But TV shows?
Na - I think I'll rather read a book. ;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Smithy said:
I hope that's the original English version and not the (I'm sorry but...) pathetic, unfunny US ripoff!

Uh, oh! Office conflict!

I was referring to the US version which, I think, only took off when they diverged from the British version after Season One. Thanks for the encouragement VegasMike, I'm definitely going to keep watching. The writing is very good but I really think the actors are what make the US version of the show. My favorite episode so far has been "Drug Testing" in Season Two--the one with Jim and Pam working through the jinx, although "Dwight's Speech" made me cry with laughter--I love how Jim tortures Dwight.

Smithy, I did watch the original British version and I thought it was wonderful as well, but in a different way. I also thought the British version was crushingly sad--I could only watch it in small doses because it depressed me so much. The US version has moments of that sadness but I don't find it as pervasive.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Smithy, I did watch the original British version and I thought it was wonderful as well, but in a different way. I also thought the British version was crushingly sad--I could only watch it in small doses because it depressed me so much. The US version has moments of that sadness but I don't find it as pervasive.

Probably a prime example of the British love of dry, black humour! Made me hoot with laughter ;)

At the end of the day watch what makes you laugh. But the two takes on the same basic programme provide an interesting insight into the differences between British (and British-affected cultures) and American.

I didn't understand the injection of bare-faced slapstick into the American The Office.

Perhaps to make it more like the typical american office atmosphere?

What i've seen of British office space (never been to Slough Trading Estate, though) makes me think that The Office (brit version) is not unrealistic. Sickening places, frankly. How more people don't kill themselves, i don't know. Everyone seems so depressed all the time.

Incidentally, the last TV program i watched was the Scotland vs France football game.

bk

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
I haven't actually seen the British version yet, but it's in my Netflix que now :p
I think it's definately the differences in humor types. I love the dry brit humor, but I REALLY like the characters on the american version. I'm looking forward to watching the Brit version to see how much different it is though.
Steve Carrell does an amazing job on the American version though, to the point where it's like "Oh my god, he's not gonna do that...", and you feel embarassed just watching it as if you were actually in the conference room.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
The cringe factor. This was the beauty of the original. You spent a full half hour cringing about what Brent or Gareth were going to do next.

bk

Exactly.

Generally I really love British humor but I think the UK version of The Office is troublesome for me because it's much more realistic than the US version; too close to home maybe. On a similiar theme, there's a US film called Clockwatchers that lots of my friends think is hysterical and I nearly walked out because I was so depressed. I think the slapstick in the US version adds just enough of a sense of unreality that I can enjoy the show. The UK version is brilliant, I think it just pushes a difficult button for me.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
The cringe factor. This was the beauty of the original. You spent a full half hour cringing about what Brent or Gareth were going to do next.

bk

I think that's exactly it BK, we've all had to work with a Gareth or a Brent. They have just tweaked the characters up a notch or two from real life which works comedically.

I worked once in a place very similar, people doing bugger all, cricket matches in the hallways, office bonking going on, and a boss who was always trying to be "one of the lads", coming in and asking how boozed we got last night.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I think it says alot about television that I can't remember the last programme I watched! I'm not saying it was ages ago, just that I don't remember what it was!

Bubblegum for the mind.....

Actually, we've been watching American Dad on DVD. I have to say, we find it quite amusing.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ok, last night I watched Mock the Week.

For those Non - UK based folks, it's a comedy panel show 'discussing' the week that was. A bit like Have I Got News for You, only not so cerebral!

When, oh, when will they bring back Have I Got News For You? One of the best programmes on tele.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Monk.

I used to avoid that programme like the plague, because I was skeptical of Shaloub always winning Emmys for his role in it, but I've softened a bit, and have actually enjoyed quite a few of the episodes. And Monk is...dare I say it? Endearing.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I watched the start of Season Two of Weeds. Not the sort of thing I'd think I'd like in concept but the writing is smart, the acting is good and I laugh consistently even when it's really crass. Case in point, Andy's "class" on masturbation had me crying with laughter as did his relationship with the Israeli combat veteran. I always welcome seeing Martin Donovan too.

Also, LadyStardust, I love your new avatar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk