Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your very first leather jacket

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
My first jacket I owned less than a week, as a Junior in High School. How? I was "encouraged" to give it back by my family. I bought it for $20 and I was asked to give it back and not accept a return of my money.

Here it is, an '80's Wilsons Leather with "V" shaped details in all it's glory (not mine, just found on Google)
Jacket_01.PNG
Jacket_02.PNG

On edit: I noted this ebay jacket sold for over $80.00!

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My first jacket I owned less than a week, as a Junior in High School. How? I was "encouraged" to give it back by my family. I bought it for $20 and I was asked to give it back and not accept a return of my money.

Here it is, an '80's Wilsons Leather with "V" shaped details in all it's glory (not mine, just found on Google)
View attachment 243134 View attachment 243135

On edit: I noted this ebay jacket sold for over $80.00!
LOL That's a great story. Do you de the resemblance to the San Mateo? :p (back panel)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that was part of what drew me to it. It had a little bit of the Knight Rider vibe to it. I believe most of these '80's Bermans/Wilson leathers were "painted" leather. They were typically that shiny black, a fairly shiny burgundy, or a somewhat dull gray color. Hey it was the 80's! :)

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
Around 1985 or so, I had accompanied my girlfriend to the Union Square Nordstrom's store in San Francisco while she was shopping for something. I knew nothing of leather jackets, they weren't even on my radar. I remember being struck by a forest green leather jacket for about $400 and it was a complete, and uncharacteristic, impulse buy. I wore that thing to death. Fifteen years later, my spouse, as a gift, had it redyed, and I wore it to death a second time. Sadly, it's now gone to Goodwill heaven.

Only many years later, with the advent of the internet, did I understand what I had. It was a Harrington G9 in lambskin with a quilted liner, perfect for cold, windy, San Francisco weather! And that color, that deep forest green, was absolutely perfect. I miss it, actually.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
1985. Emporium Capwell at Powell and Market. $400 was a fortune in 1985 dollars.

A leather jacket was, and still is, a luxury item purchase. In San Francisco, we had Johnson's, North Beach Leather, and Golden Bear, plus all of those leather shops South of Market. Just Leather in San Jose. I had a few jackets from Nordstrom's, Macy's, Wilson. And whatever impulse buy items.

Can't say I know better today. But back then, I was less knowledgeable about leather jackets. All that I knew was that leather was expensive. Wilson may have been better back then. Leather was sold at Macy's, Sears, Montgomery Ward, JC Penney, and a lot of boutique fashion mall stores.

Most buyers don't know about type and grade of leather, craftsmanship, single piece solid back, etc. And it doesn't matter to them. Whatever they buy at the mall or department store is still a luxury purchase. I don't judge. Most of America is buying poor quality from Pakistan and China.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I had my jacket for a bunch of years and just happened for whatever reason to stop in Just Leather in San Jose. The guy behind the counter sneered at my jacket and made some snide remark. I didn't understand why for a long time. Lambskin. Oh well, what did I know? I loved that jacket!

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ And that's the most important point. You loved it! And it gave you great service, that's what really matters. :)

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first leather jacket was from . . . don't laugh . . . Wilsons Leather.
Man, that’s nothing to laugh about. I remember when every mall had a Wilsons leather and it was my favorite store out of all of them. The smell of leather when you walked in was enticing. I would always drag my mom in there with me and plead with her to buy me something, at least a fringed vest for crying out loud! I never had any luck at Wilson’s but I think it planted the seed and the need for lots of leather jackets down the road...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First and second leather jacket. Bought them when I was around 14. The biker jacket is woman size. Both Japanese brands.
image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner