Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your very first leather jacket

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Here at the lounge we discuss leather jacket makers like Schott, Aero, Freewheelers and Lost World. However, back when I bought my first leather jacket I had never heard of any of those brandnames, let alone that I could have afforded any of them. Either you went to a somewhat shady local 'leather jacket' outlet where they offered non-branded oversized mc jackets labeled 'real leather' or 'echt leder', or you bought a fashion jacket like I did.

My first leather jacket was this Hugo Boss cafe racer. I bought it in 2003 and back then the color was dark green / taupe. I think I paid about €300 euro's for it which was a lot of money. I really felt cool wearing that jacket and I've worn it a lot. Through the years it faded, stitches came loose and the leather stretched unevenly in the shoulders because the clothing hanger I used was too small. In my imagination it's still a very cool jacket but looking at it now I think it's too wide in the sleeves, it's too long and I really don't like the design of the back of the jacket. I don't wear it anymore because I've got nicer jackets now but I hold on to it, don't really know why :) What was your first leather jacket and do you still own it / wear it?
03473B16-BC1C-4AE2-9F2E-57C54638D417.jpeg
169416ED-4E94-4F56-A9E3-D5FF9D860CD0.jpeg

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Very first one was in 95 or something, and it was my mom who bought me without asking my preferences. Was center zip black cowhide with raglan sleeve and elasticized waist, snap cuff, and shirt collar, and 3 sizes too big by common fit here, that was long gone, my grandma gave it away once I graduated from uni in 2002-03 since it was hanging there outside on the porch never getting wear anymore for a long time. My first jacket I bought myself before joined here however I still have it and wear. Its only 8 years old, orange tan sheepskin, on the screen looked tan or camel, but once finished and delivered it was carrot orange. But now it turned tan and looks Ok.
Screenshot_20190621-075839_Gallery.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
, on the screen looked tan or camel, but once finished and delivered it was carrot orange. View attachment 242503

So the first leather jacket you bought was custom made. That's interesting. Is that typical for Indonesia, having your clothing custom made?

I don't think people here in the Netherlands even know such a thing exists, a custom made leather jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
So the first leather jacket you bought was custom made. That's interesting. Is that typical for Indonesia, having your clothing custom made?

I don't think people here in the Netherlands even know such a thing exists, a custom made leather jacket.
yes, it is pretty common here for low demand item like leather jacket (it is low demand item here), boots, dress shoes, some jeans if you want cinchback or unusual details like that, however this one was bought online, so I wrote down my measurement, and based on the jacket models they have I modified the collar and added removable tab, usually the result is always slightly too big.
there is ready stock leather jacket but usually sold by specialty shop and the design is very outdated and generic in medium brown or black. I think night guards, bike couriers, plain clothes cops like to wear them.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My first fake leather jacket was an A2 style jacket from Hollister. I actually got a decent amount of compliments in that piece of junk.

My first real leather jacket was actually my Diamond Dave jacket.
IvtUFB5.jpg

7s8nMJi.jpg
What made u decide to go for a real leather jacket? Was the Diamond Dave jacket the jacket that sparkled your interest in premium jackets?

Mich486

One Too Many
Never really owned a leather jacket until I was in mid twenties as they were simply not available where I used to shop nor were in fashion. I couldn’t afford them anyway.

This European market Schott cafe racer about 10years ago was my first. Not bad I think for what it costs.

D3350F9F-8B07-4A31-B1FA-30C722598ECE.jpeg

I had a number of 70s-style faux leather jackets in college. Purchased cheap at thrift stores. Thought I was the man smh. My first real leather jacket was a perfecto-style Harley jacket. It was nice and I sometimes wish I still had it. This led to other Harley jackets until I saw the light and got a Vanson. The rest is history. Eventually I found TFL and plummeted down the rabbit hole. Still falling too.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I was mentionning in the other thread, my first leather jacket was a black perfecto style jacket with an eagle painted on the back when I was 14. It was a serious jacket, heavy and thick - how heavy and thick I wouldn't be able to tell now, but I would suspect at 1.2mm or over. I used it quite a bit on my first motorbike as it worked very well.

It was unfortunately stolen. I suspect it was made of steerhide, and I think it was a HD jacket. Ironically, I went on to get a fashion jacket later thinking it was more refined :rolleyes:
When you don't know...

@Marc mndt it didn't even occur to me to look for old pics, let's see if I can find something :)

First good leather jacket I got was a Schott Dur-o-Jac in a size 46. Mandarin collar. Two side pockets. No gussets, nothing. I was SO happy with that one, thought the world was mine when I bought it. Got it cheap if nothing else. It wasn't a bad jacket. Heavy, sturdy... Just not for me. Everyone'd tell me how great it fit though. It didn't.

Having a DD as a first leather jacket isn't all too shabby, @dudewuttheheck.

Psant25

One Too Many
Mine was a black soft leather from Maurices. I think my older bro has it now lol. Was actually not bad. I may hit him up for it now that I think of it. Prlly three sizes too big. Sorry no pics

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first leather jacket was a sports jacket my sister made for me in gray suede when I was in college 1970. The first leather jacket a purchased was a used Langlitz when I got back into riding motorcycles 1999. Shortly after, I purchase my first non-riding leather jacket, an Aero highwayman from Aero's sale a returned jacket in rich grain horsehide, supposedly a rock star did not care for the leather. There also was a handmade pullover shirt from buckskin I brought from a hitchhiker for $13 and a six-pack of beer around 1970 that I still have.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I bought a WHITE mandarin collared "café racer" styled jacket in a market in France in 1979.
Chit I thought that jacket was the "hayzoos" of cool at the time..(cringe now !)
Quality French made steerhide. Woulda looked the goods on a Mobylette 50cc or similar.
No photos , waaaay too long ago

1980's I had a two piece Isle of man TT leathers made black steerhide racing motorcycle outfit.
Strictly for the bike of course , looked well weird away from the bike I reckon , pre bent trouser legs etc.
( I still have those trousers , bespoke made for me when I was a "skinny barsteward"...) 6 inches shy in the waist !

1990 I got my first Eastman Luftwaffe , black horsehide , in 44" and it still fits. My first true "quality" jacket.
Wore it everywhere for umpteen years , 'formal" with shirt and tie to work and on the bike all the time.
Wore the lining out and had it relined here in Perth Western Australia ( and had it copied 100% in black goat !)

Here is that very 1990 Eastman Luftwaffe taken just a few months back , 30 years on !
yes re-dyed by me , before I realised the "tea-core" patina was "cool" haha...I need them waterproof to an extent !
I used Kiwi kids scuff stuff shoe wax , works well on jackets.

Eastman Luftwaffe 30 years at Scarbs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner