Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what what your favorite 1960's movies?

DesertDan

One Too Many
I'll throw a few in here;

The Naked Prey (1965)
The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)
Cleopatra (1963)
The Taming of the Shrew (1967)
Hell in the Pacific (1968)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
The Time Machine (1960)
2001: A Space Odessy (1968)

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Dr. Strangelove
The Lion in Winter
The Graduate
Little Big Man (I know that it was released in 1970, but it was made in 69, and a decade or century actually starts on year 1)

New to the mix:

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. One of my all time faves.

Just this morning, I watched, via Netflix, a PBS American Experience documentary on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that was outstanding. As is usually the case, their real life story was more interesting, dramatic and nuanced than the movie version. Also, it hinted at how the Pinkertons were the first professional detective agency in America that were using modern methodologies and, for the time, high-technology (telegraph, photography) to catch them.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
No particular order:

The Hill (1965)
The Servant (1963)
Seconds (1966)
Play Dirty (1969)
The Nanny (1965)

... and not forgetting Night of the Living Dead (1968). it's not my favourite zombie film but it's the one that created an entire industry.

Then there is one often overlooked war film: Is Paris Burning (1966)

AntonAAK

Practically Family
jack-lemmon-shirley-maclaine-apartment.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe I forget these two! Both directed by Robet Wise, two years apart:

West Side Story (1961) The best musical ever made
The Haunting (1963) The best ghost film ever made

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Bullitt
The Graduate
The Odd Couple
Good Neighbor Sam
If I look through our DVD's, I might find more, but this is the short list.

"One Two Three" (1961) -- James Cagney, no less, as one of The Boys From Marketing, rampagaing thru West Berlin. The mind boggles.

Fantastic movie. It is the movie that got me to go back and start watching earlier Cagney movies. He is a one-man show in this movie (which I've read is a cult classic in Germany, like "Little Shop of Horrors" is here). How he memorized and delivered all that dialogue is insanely impressive.

And the movie is one - as all good cult movies are - that gets better with more viewings.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
"One Two Three" (1961) -- James Cagney, no less, as one of The Boys From Marketing, rampagaing thru West Berlin. The mind boggles.

LizzieMaine, you have now sent me on a treasure hunt to find this movie. Both my wife and I are such huge Cagney fans, but neither of us have seen this movie. Netflix says they have it, but it seems to not actually have the film.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
It shows up on TCM every couple of years -- well worth waiting for. Along with Cagney, Horst Buchholz is hilarious. And the final gag is priceless.

Thank you very much. We found it on Vudu, so we will be watching it on my next day off. I cannot believe that Amazon is charging almost $70 for a copy of it.

LizzieMaine, you have now sent me on a treasure hunt to find this movie. Both my wife and I are such huge Cagney fans, but neither of us have seen this movie. Netflix says they have it, but it seems to not actually have the film.

If you are Cagney fans - then this will be heaven for you as, as noted above, this is the movie that made me a Cagney fan. I'm glad you found it as $70 is a crazy price to pay since, as Lizzie says, it pops up on TCM every so often (and $70 is crazy for any one movie anyway).

I look forward to hearing your impressions after you've seen it. This will give nothing away - I was amazed - absolutely amazed - at Cagney's ability to memorize and deliver an incredible amount of dialogue, effortlessly, almost in rhythm, and with much craziness going on around him.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To Kill a Mockingbird by Robert Mulligan ~ ( 1962 )

60s favorite .

In Cold Blood by Richard Brooks ~ ( 1967 )

Brilliant cinematography. Based on Truman Capote's book.
I watched this film when I was in the military & homesick !
Not a good idea ! :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points