Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what what your favorite 1960's movies?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Batman: The Movie (1966)

To me, it was more memorable than any of the newer Batman movies, even though it didn't take itself seriously. It was a great laugh, as well as an interesting Batman adventure. It is one of my favorite action-comedies of the 1960s. The new Batman movies however, have something else to offer, particularly for those that want a serious atmosphere. I could appreciate both versions of Batman.

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
The Haunting,...about the group of people that stays at a supposedly haunted mansion under the direction of a researcher. The scariest scene in film history I think was when they tried to sleep their first night there, and the poltergeist, (or whatever it was), went down the hall pounding on the walls and doors. Scarier scene than any horror movie made since then. I remember seeing it at the drive in with my parents. The film was originally titled "Hill House" as I recall.
I can't believe I forget these two! Both directed by Robet Wise, two years apart:

West Side Story (1961) The best musical ever made
The Haunting (1963) The best ghost film ever made

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I absolutely agree that The Haunting is a Robert Wise masterpiece, and remains my all-time favorite ghost flick. But I don't think the original title was ever "Hill House", though the book it's based on was called "The Haunting of Hill House".

The less said about the jaw-droppingly terrible 1999 remake, the better.

Creepy housekeeper Mrs. Dudley: "No one lives any closer than town. No one will come any closer than town. No one will hear you if you scream - in the night, in the dark..."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I will always watch Mary Poppins (1964). The best Disney film that I can recall from that era.

Long ago and far away, the mail chopper dropped off a sackful of "Dear Johns" and the week's flick, Mary Poppins.
I acted as projectionist when not otherwise on perimeter guard and passed word that the film was hot stuff. Spread like wildfire.
That night when I turned the projector on and the numbers scrolled down, I knew I was going to get my ass kicked. :eek:

Last edited:

skydog757

A-List Customer
Long ago and far away, the mail chopper dropped off a sackful of "Dear Johns" and the week's flick, Mary Poppins.
I acted as projectionist when not otherwise on perimeter guard and passed word that the film was hot stuff. Spread like wildfire.
That night when I turned the projector on and the numbers scrolled down, I knew I was going to get my ass kicked. :eek:

Now that is a great war story.

filfoster

One Too Many
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) is my absolute favorite film of that decade. As for a movie not only made during the 1960s, but set contemporarily, I think Le Samouraï (1967) would be my favorite. Both are also excellent hat movies, as well. The main differences are that one of them is a western featuring western hats, and the other is a later film noir that has a fedora hat instead.

This is the strongest of the trilogy, IMHO. Love these also very much and they hold up very well for movies that are getting on half a century old.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) is my absolute favorite film of that decade. As for a movie not only made during the 1960s, but set contemporarily, I think Le Samouraï (1967) would be my favorite. Both are also excellent hat movies, as well. The main differences are that one of them is a western featuring western hats, and the other is a later film noir that has a fedora hat instead.

This movie in a way saved my butt when I was in the military.

I went to the 2nd showing @ base theater.
Ended around 2 am. Too worked up afterwards to go to bed...
Missed my 4 am flight which went down .

Come to think of it... I should've named this as my favorite flick from the 60's...:dance:

Heather

Practically Family

Come to think of it... I should've named this as my favorite flick from the 60's...:dance:

Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Amazing how many guys I know with a similar story! Unfortunately, the only mishap that I was involved in I was on board, and not as pilot in command, but sitting in the back twiddling my thumbs. A brake locked up, and we ended up on our nose. On a funny side note, the Airmen in their big truck with their shinny silver fire proof suits came rushing over. They were very disappointed when we all climbed out and said every thing was A OK. I pointed to a little oil leaking out of the engine, the senior Airman said, "do you think it could catch fire?" I said, not unless you hold a blow torch to it! what a bunch of demoralized men.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Amazing how many guys I know with a similar story! Unfortunately, the only mishap that I was involved in I was on board, and not as pilot in command, but sitting in the back twiddling my thumbs. A brake locked up, and we ended up on our nose. On a funny side note, the Airmen in their big truck with their shinny silver fire proof suits came rushing over. They were very disappointed when we all climbed out and said every thing was A OK. I pointed to a little oil leaking out of the engine, the senior Airman said, "do you think it could catch fire?" I said, not unless you hold a blow torch to it! what a bunch of demoralized men.

Castle AFB- 1967. B-52 flightline.

Doing a routine safety tire check under the wheel well by the bomb bay.
MD3 generator is powering the acft on the ground to do inspections.
Suddenly I noticed the tire struts weaving up & down.
A 2nd lt. in cockpit had somehow activated the fully loaded fuel drop tank on the right wing.
It crashes to the cement ground. Fuel spewing fast.
The MD3 generator which is working 24/7 would now & then emit backfire sparks.
I just watched... frozen...like in a dream/shock... Another airman tried to remove the
electrical connections of the MD3 from the acft.
But a staff sergeant within seconds kicked the connection of the generator & dragged it away
even though it was still running hot ...while yelling at us to run the opposite from the danger.
Fire trucks arrived with seconds & used foam .

I never told the folks back home about this. They were worried enough as it was. That
man is my hero.
You never know but there's guys like that in the military...Thank God for that !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112