Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would it be, if you could own just one thing?

Kishtu

Practically Family
C-dot if you ever want to try cooking on a Rayburn (very like an Aga... ours is oil fuelled rather than gas though) and you're down in West Cornwall we will happily turn our kitchen over to you to play in!

I have a list of things I'd do if we won the lotto millions :D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I had an Italian boyfriend years ago who had one...i tried skiing a few times, he was the expert skiier, mostly we just pottered up and down the coast. I loved it probably more than he did, such beautiful, timeless design and so simply luxurious! Oh the good old days!
I can guess that if anyone knows about some of the finer boats or even cars, it would be someone from the land of Ferrari (Varoom) !

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not always, but in this case - yes. He also had excellent taste in women ;)
I actually appreciated being able to travel and see a major chunk of Europe, and as the Riviera extends from France into Italy, I was impressed with the cars I observed and boats that are in the harbors there. Oh yes, I did so enjoy being able to see the British Islands, and had always wanted to see everything there as well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A Victorian style house, the bigger the better, with a beautiful garden, yard, front gate, fences, fountain, waterfall and pond, and whatever accoutrements I can think of during acquisition.

A gas 4-oven AGA cooker.

If it comes with Joanne Massey's kitchen, that's even better (I like the vintage range, but the English ones are way too small.)

timewarp-wives1.jpg

I got my wife a cream AGA cooker four years ago. It fits our house perfectly - it's a 1906 craftsman. We love it! It's the best oven ever, and the cats love to sleep by it in the fall/winter/spring. You can dry clothes on it too :)
PITA to get setup, but once it's up and running, you're set - no dials, no fuss, no muss.
Put in a Thanksgiving turkey in the lower oven the day before and let it sit (covered in aluminium) and you're ready by the next afternoon. You do nothing but take it out and carve it! Get one!

A Victorian style house, the bigger the better, with a beautiful garden, yard, front gate, fences, fountain, waterfall and pond, and whatever accoutrements I can think of during acquisition.

That's our next move! Some of our friends have beautiful 1800's Vic's. Nothing like them. Quirky, unique, beautiful, functional. Sad we went to cracker boxes and destroyed so many...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
C-dot if you ever want to try cooking on a Rayburn (very like an Aga... ours is oil fuelled rather than gas though) and you're down in West Cornwall we will happily turn our kitchen over to you to play in!

Careful, I might take you up on that ;) I'd make you a nice Victoria Sponge to say thanks, of course!

I got my wife a cream AGA cooker four years ago. ...Get one!

First I need to be a rich Bay Street banker lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'd own a letter written by James Oviatt to Hattie Alexander in 1922, only days after Hattie's husband --and Oviatt's business partner-- had died from blood poisoning.

In the letter, Oviatt offered to handle Hattie's finances, pay her bills, buy her new cars yearly, and dole her out an allowance of her own money ... in exchange for her, as a board member and majority stockholder of the Alexander & Oviatt clothing store, to rubberstamp all of his decisions and hand him total power over the store's operation.

I want that letter. I need to find it!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess a S&W 6" .357 magnum would suffice (with all the ammo I could use in a lifetime).

I could hunt with it, protect with it, and by golly, I bet it could take the edge off a long day!

(Now we're just talking about owning objects, right? Because I know there are people I absolutely need in my life, but I guess that's a different thread.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo