Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you buy today (if money was no object)?

Edward

Bartender
I find that I store stuff in the Uk, but live with what I need in China or HK. HK has reduced space, of course, but even when I've lived in more spacious places on the mainland, I've carried less. I think you get to a point in the Far East where you're able to buy - and in my case, have - and then just say 'No more tailor-made shirts!' or whatever. I seem to have spent my thirties acquiring stuff and am now in my early forties getting shot of it! If anything, my time in China made me aware of how the urge to conspicuously buy and waste has spread. I've lived in Asia for half my life and find being back in the UK like a museum trip of all my previous stuff. I'm minded, at some point, to just own what I really like and can fit in hand luggage and carry-on. I think if I ever struck it rich, I'd want to look after my nearest and dearest and then shed stuff. Weirdly, I buy on Amazon or in stores in the UK because I get profoundly bored living here- when I'm out in Asia, buying things is the last thing on my mind. It sounds bizarre, but I actually find that owning too much clothing is almost stressful. If only I could feel that way about books...

I think we all end up at a certain point in life when you need to do a stocktake. In preparation for a house move (currently on hold due to the death of the market at the hands of the political and economic situation), I had a massive clearout of my flat in the Summer. I've struggled with hoarding issues for some time, and it had gotten crazy. I cleared out well over half the stuff in the flat, and ended up keeping comparatively little. It was indeed liberating. Though it's going to be hard clearing out the last few bits like costumes I made by hand and such. Still, onwards and upwards. It's been a real relief to get my flat back instead of living in only a small part of two rooms.

This makes me even happier that I got my Clinch boots when I did. I think at this point, I paid $1,000 less than I would have to pay now for the same boots. It's tough to say which option is best. GW method does not seem to be working out, but maybe if better managed, that would work. I know some bespoke shoemakers have 4 year waiting lists, but they deliver on time.

White Kloud's waitlist has now gone up a lot now too, basically 2 years. He also increased his prices recently, perhaps for similar reasons.

I remember when GW put the price up - doubtless in part to cull the growing waiting list. I imagine though it's not easy to manage that style of work as a one-man business, bearing in mind that the money coming in in deposits is what you have to live on until you sell product out at the other end. Can't always be an option for everyone just to close the waiting list for a period of years. It's a shame that side of it is very hard, ass I think that's what puts more gifted craftspeople off going into business.

Mich486

One Too Many
That’s the problem with these small brands. I’m happy to pay more for quality and workmanship as long as this doesn’t just become a supply and demand trade off.

I’m not paying $2000 for a pair of boots that last year were selling at $1000 just because the guy can’t keep up with orders. It’s a fair strategy on their side, don’t get me wrong, but it just puts me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

LeathertogsBlack.15A.jpg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think we all end up at a certain point in life when you need to do a stocktake. In preparation for a house move (currently on hold due to the death of the market at the hands of the political and economic situation), I had a massive clearout of my flat in the Summer. I've struggled with hoarding issues for some time, and it had gotten crazy. I cleared out well over half the stuff in the flat, and ended up keeping comparatively little. It was indeed liberating. Though it's going to be hard clearing out the last few bits like costumes I made by hand and such. Still, onwards and upwards. It's been a real relief to get my flat back instead of living in only a small part of two rooms.

I remember when GW put the price up - doubtless in part to cull the growing waiting list. I imagine though it's not easy to manage that style of work as a one-man business, bearing in mind that the money coming in in deposits is what you have to live on until you sell product out at the other end. Can't always be an option for everyone just to close the waiting list for a period of years. It's a shame that side of it is very hard, ass I think that's what puts more gifted craftspeople off going into business.

It is a bit different for say Clinch and Connor because they have both now accumulated enough bulk orders from dealers. GW on the other hand does not do bulk orders for dealers.

That’s the problem with these small brands. I’m happy to pay more for quality and workmanship as long as this doesn’t just become a supply and demand trade off.

I’m not paying $2000 for a pair of boots that last year were selling at $1000 just because the guy can’t keep up with orders. It’s a fair strategy on their side, don’t get me wrong, but it just puts me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clinch sells their stock boots online at the same price and you can still get them from dealers at the same price. It is just that they are trying to curb the individual custom orders. But when Clinch started, it is all custom cos they didn't have any stock and they didn't have any dealer.
FW is a not a custom shop, taking on too many custom order is gonna interfere with their normal production planning, schedule and scale. I guess that is why they are saying no. The earlier custom order surcharge of 100000 yen may be due to the fact that they did one for Mr Aquaman and people started asking and FW thinks that is a more polite way to say no. That is just my guess.

I’m at that stage where I have no desire for new jackets even if money were no object, actually as someone else said above, if I won the lottery I’d probably sell a few [emoji33]
Same. I’ve spent a good 3 days looking for a way to burn my RMC refund. Literally nothing appeals and the one jacket I actually want is cheap and I can’t have it b/c it’s not ready from the maker. Bored. Can’t even find some junk to buy as a diversion...

Fonzie

One Too Many
I’m at that stage where I have no desire for new jackets even if money were no object, actually as someone else said above, if I won the lottery I’d probably sell a few [emoji33]
The fact that Australian’s weather window for wearing leather jackets is to getting shorter every year doesn’t help either when you have a decent collection, and no time to even rotate them all in such season.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I guess with money no longer a factor I'd get something that I do not need but totally want. Identifying that piece of outerwear, though, is a problem.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I’d go for the same Thedi that @Bfd70 posted from the Thurston’s thread.
Coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

Or a two-tone Seal brown/russet Vincenza HH Aero Ridley. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana