Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What youngsters wear today

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
One thing that does puzzle me though, where do the kids get those rear facing peaked caps? I've never seen them in shops, online or anywhere.

I did once see an older guy wearing a wide brimmed fedora back to front. I was going to point it out to him but he removed it as he sat down to drink a coffee, when he finished his drink, he then put it back on........back to front! So maybe that was how he wore it?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure about that. To me, that look says, "I'm such a deadbeat I can't even afford a fckn baseball cap"

As I said the "folly of youth." Lol. Every decade has their fashion statements. Hell, every month for that matter. Hey, if they get used to wearing hats maybe they'll just transition over later to Fedoras...?

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sloppiness seems to be part of the modern aesthetic, and it extends to the work they do. For example, it's the end of the semester at the college where I teach, and I just graded a paper on Jonathan Smith's "Gulliver's Travels." That's right -- Smith. Five other papers were plagiarized.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Because everything ratchets down when worse and worse is accepted. It is a how low can we go fashion limbo.
Is it really like that or does it just seem like that? The year was 1963, I was seventeen, my hair was shoulder length, maybe longer, I can't remember what I was wearing, but this was the year that Carnaby Street took off, so it was definitely loud and proud, probably a paisley patterned shirt with a pastel coloured jacket worn over it, or something else, equally flamboyant.

My father, who always wore a tie, dressed conservatively, was never seen without his shoes polished, never made a single comment. Not on my attire, nor on Mick Jagger murdering some Muddy Water's song on my record player and never about my hair. Dad had a quiet, resigned, "he'll grow out of it," attitude. One fashion item that Dad didn't have to endure though, is the T-shirt emblazoned with a profanity. How I loathe that, and it's not clever either, nor is wearing anything with the acronym F.C.U.K. You can argue all you like that it stands for French Connection UK, it still looks like what it's meant to look like. It's simply gross.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
One fashion item that Dad didn't have to endure though, is the T-shirt emblazoned with a profanity. How I loathe that, and it's not clever either, nor is wearing anything with the acronym F.C.U.K. You can argue all you like that it stands for French Connection UK, it still looks like what it's meant to look like. It's simply gross.
I couldn't agree more.
It may be where I live, out here in wildest wooly-back country, but I haven't seen much of that particular brand for a while. Is it still so prevalent?

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Big 3: Playboy is actually a major sportswear brand here in China. I don't know if it's sold in Japan, but here they license sneakers, workout clothes, swimsuits, and the like. Just like Adidas or Nike. I've seen stand-alone Playboy Sport shops , but you can also buy their stuff in Wal-Mart in Shanghai.

I love the idea that folks think the pot leaf is a Japanese maple.

And I often see the backwards fedora look in China, sometimes even on store mannequins.

When we were in high school, my brother used to call those knit caps the "mugger cap."

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Is it really like that or does it just seem like that?

It just seems like that. Folks mistake the rise of new social mores as a lack thereof because they do not align with one's own preconceived notions of what is or ought to be.

I don't "get" a lot of fashion, nor do I care to. I do know I have a sense of what I like to wear, and what looks good on my body type (in terms of lines/shapes and colors). The t shirt and shorts look is often knocked; but, I assure you, if I'm wearing a t shirt and shorts, I've very deliberately picked them to match with a hat. Same with jeans and shirts and or button ups. I don't agree with the underlying assumption then, that jeans and a t shirt, or more casual clothes generally, is in and of itself indicative of a decline of standards.

I'm not even sure how one would even begin to define such a thing in a way which would be even somewhat objective. The western business suit is really *the* pinnacle of all that ever was for every person on earth?

Hal

Practically Family
Because everything ratchets down when worse and worse is accepted. It is a how low can we go fashion limbo.
One fashion item that Dad didn't have to endure...is the T-shirt emblazoned with a profanity. How I loathe that, and it's not clever either, nor is wearing anything with the acronym F.C.U.K. You can argue all you like that it stands for French Connection UK, it still looks like what it's meant to look like. It's simply gross.
I couldn't agree more.
I very much agree with all of the above three comments.
It just seems like that. Folks mistake the rise of new social mores as a lack thereof because they do not align with one's own preconceived notions of what is or ought to be.
There is a lot of truth in this statement, but I don't think it's the whole truth. I know that for thousands of years each generation has criticised the next one (often without realising that the mores of each generation are produced by the last, and that if young people are behaving badly it's often their elders' fault). Young people want to shock their predecessors; but both context and degree of shock are surely not factors that can always be ignored or excused?
I also realise that it is philosophically difficult to defend the idea of absolute aesthetic standards but am estremely reluctant to dismiss that idea out of hand.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I could consume an entire page of this thread to what I have witnessed in my lifetime to the decline in social mores, dress and respect, but I'll try to be brief. Clothing, a "T" shirt, designed as underwear, no matter what you emblazon across or what color you make it, it will not reach the status of dress or casual wear., Jeans, I own several pair, designed as work wear, no matter how stylistic fashion houses try to make them, I wear them for yard work and while wearing western/cowboy boots ( Levi's 517 ) with hat to match, I would not consider them as casual "DRESS" wear unless perhaps to an event where such would be the norm, sorry. A dress suit, dinner suit, dress shirts and ties designed as dress wear have remained such, In other words, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. No one has convinced me otherwise. I do not know who to blame to be honest. I'm not trying to play at being an arbiter of style here and I do not wish to offend, just my observation. When people roll out of bed and run to the local 7-11 in the morning in sweats or their pajamas, sock less wearing flip flops looking disheveled are they making a social statement or just being what they are? Hey, I guess it's cool as long as your wearing a baseball cap on backwards!! It's not just what I perceive it to be, it's what it is. Old fuddy dud? I don't think so. Do I think others should do as I do, no, but I at least have the better sense as to not do as they do, to get with the times so to speak. Sorry for the rant.

Joe

Last edited:
I could consume an entire page of this thread to what I have witnessed in my lifetime to the decline in social mores, dress and respect, but I'll try to be brief. Clothing, a "T" shirt, designed as underwear, no matter what you emblazon across or what color you make it, it will not reach the status of dress or casual wear., Jeans, I own several pair, designed as work wear, no matter how stylistic fashion houses try to make them, I wear them for yard work and while wearing western/cowboy boots ( Levi's 517 ) with hat to match, I would not consider them as casual "DRESS" wear unless perhaps to an event where such would be the norm, sorry. A dress suit, dinner suit, dress shirts and ties designed as dress wear have remained such, In other words, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. No one has convinced me otherwise. I do not know who to blame to be honest. I'm not trying to play at being an arbiter of style here and I do not wish to offend, just my observation. When people roll out of bed and run to the local 7-11 in the morning in sweats or their pajamas, sock less wearing flip flops looking disheveled are they making a social statement or just being what they are? Hey, I guess it's cool as long as your wearing a baseball cap on backwards!! It's not just what I perceive it to be, it's what it is. Old fuddy dud? I don't think so. Do I think others should do as I do, no, but I at least have the better sense as to not do as they do, to get with the times so to speak. Sorry for the rant.

Joe

And there is the rub and the ratchet down. Thirty years ago, we NEVER saw people walking around in pajamas in public. It was just not done. Now it is. It has ratcheted down. Now we also have people lionizing sweat pants as dress wear----it also wasn't and isn't. It has ratcheted down. Looking disheveled in public was not done either unless you were in a fight or a REAL bum. Standards of public appearance have ratcheted down. You just cannot say that it hasn't.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I don't see it a being ratcheted down but rather a powered nose dive, powered by Madison Ave. created peer pressure . disposable clothing being created to be obsolete next year hence replaced by whatever they can come up with next to sell the masses. Style has a staying power that fad will never have so must not be allowed.
probably a harsh generalized comment on my part but look threw any catalog aimed at the under thirty set and find how many items will be accepted by them in two years.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There is something to be said about disposable clothing and the declining standards of quality; but, the under 30 cohort created neither the consumer culture they exist in, nor the infrastructure which drives it.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
There is something to be said about disposable clothing and the declining standards of quality; but, the under 30 cohort created neither the consumer culture they exist in, nor the infrastructure which drives it.

I , with all due respect must disagree. As one who was under thirty at a point in life I did not fall prey to what as Dan Allen aptly put as Madison Ave, hype. I at least hope I had the better sense to know the difference between style and fleeting fashion, albeit with some minor missteps along the way. If the under thirty crowd, for whatever reason fail to look to the past for what are considered horrendous fashion abominations and do not heed the lesson, then yes, they contribute. It appears that all on this forum seem to know by looking at the PAST what constitutes fine head wear, why should that not hold true for the rest of dress. Again, I wish not to offend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24