Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a name for a metal kitchen cabinet?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Other than a Hoosier, I mean. Most Hoosiers I've looked at have an always-there shelf sticking out, unlike the metal cabinet I just purchased as my husband's birthday gift. I believe it came from Britain, as the dealer travels there to get many of his goods. It's about 30" wide, 6' tall, painted a bright sky blue, and closes up smooth in the front. When the top doors are opened a fold-out shelf is revealed, rather like a secretary.
While looking for similar things online, I realized I don't quite know what to call it. "Hutch" brings up mostly wooden items, which are a bit larger than this.
Did Brits even use the term Hoosier? Would they have had a different, specific name for it?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I'll have to find a way to slip in at least one "Hoosier Daddy" when the time comes, though being a Brit himself, I'm not sure if he'll get the joke. He saw this in the back room of a shop then came home and told me all about it. It made him nostalgic, as his Welsh Nan and Gu had something very similar in their teeny stone terraced house. Though I didn't act very enthused when he took me back to see it, once we came home I secretly calculated how to ditch the nook table and bench to make room, and went today to pay for it. They'll deliver it next week on his birthday, so there'll be a nice surprise when he gets home.
Then I'll ask him what he calls it. ;) (Though he'll probably just say 'a cupboard'.)

High Pockets

Practically Family
You're a keeper Mrs. ThesFlishThngs,......and a lot like my wife! She does those kinds of things.

:D Woohoo, speaking of which, my birthday's next week also!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Well happy birthday to a fellow Scorpio, then. :) The Mr. and are two days apart.
I don't often (ever, really) have the chance to give him a proper, really big surprise, so when this opportunity arose (and fit my budget), I jumped on it.

High Pockets

Practically Family
:D I wish the both of you a very Happy Birthday!:D

One of my best friends, a piper down in Dallas, was born on the exact same day as me,.....my daughter-in-law also shares our birthday; November 2nd.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It was not uncommon in parts of Britain and the Antipodes,
to use the word, "safe" (or food safe)for a kitchen cabinet, especially an in-built cupboard, ventilated to the outside, to keep food cool... and.... well, airy.

"Safe" would be a nice name for a metal kitchen cabinet.

I cannot imagine a cabinet being called a Hoosier, in Britain.

Hoo-si-er...? Who-si-er..?

B
T

docneg

One of the Regulars
The other major manufacturer of these cabinets in the States was Sellers. So they are often referred to as "Sellers" cabinets as well.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The British Army and Navy stores catalogues of 1935/36 and 39/40 just describe them as 'kitchen cabinets', some of wood, some of metal.

Otherwise they have brand names like 'Triumph Nuvic Combination', or the 'Triumph Dual Service Olympic'.

Hmmmmm. Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, does it?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Not metal, after all. I couldn't figure out how to edit my title.

Once it was delivered yesterday, I got my first good look at it. Wood, not metal, made by Remploy, which I gather is a UK company.
Tony was quite surprised; even claimed to like the musty odor. Talk about nostalgic! I'm leaving the doors opened for it to air out a bit.

4077516931_1b22fbe263.jpg

4077516921_5f36fa283d.jpg

4077516929_1a5d4f1d8f.jpg

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Nice, my gran had one - in a fetching shade of nicotine!
I'd imagine most English people would just call it a cupboard.

Happy Birthday to all the people born on 2nd Nov, it was my birthday too.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
In the antiques trade here in the uk they are commonly referred to as a kitchenette. I have one, a 30s one albeit, with a lovely enamelled drop down which is just the right height for my son to make himself a sandwich on....then leave the jam on the board and close the door......said jam then drips down front of kitchenette......

:mad:

Remploy are still alive and well and helping people with learning difficulties or complex issues back to work.

The small metal cupboards are known as meat safes or egg safes in rural parts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo