Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's behind your sweatband?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thwack said:
Well now I'm just going to have to start stowing stuff in my hat... I didn't think things would survive up there. With the heat, sweat, and just plain hair grease that things would get nasty and gross.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend putting a stick of gum up there, but some things can be gotten away with. :D

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Randal said:
My wife was poking fun at me the other day and told me I was odd (I'm not disagreeing) because I keep things in the sweatbands of my hats. Besides the pieces of felt I use for sizing issues, I have one of my business cards tucked in the back and a $2 bill tucked in the front of the sweatband of every hat I own.

Does anyone else keep things in their sweatbands, or is this another "unique" trait to add to my list? :p
A $2 bill, really? I haven't seen one of those for years...didn't know they were still available!

Randal

Familiar Face
jazzncocktails said:
A $2 bill, really? I haven't seen one of those for years...didn't know they were still available!
You should be able to get them at your bank (I had to go to the main branch). I got 5 uncirculated $2 bills in sequence. I don't know why, but I really like the $2 bill...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Recorded History

This would be an ideal spot to place some information about the hat. For a new hat, this could be a short description. You could even add a snapshot of yourself wearing the hat.

"G'day, This glen grey Akubra Campdraft was received by Carter from Hats Direct, Australia, on March 11, 2009. The crease is an Oreana. Wear it in health."

For vintage hats, the description could be somewhat longer.

Add a $2.00 bill and a business card. You'd be leaving some future wearer a bit of history.

T Smith

Familiar Face
Holy thread resurrection Bat Man!!

Randal said:
You should be able to get them at your bank (I had to go to the main branch). I got 5 uncirculated $2 bills in sequence. I don't know why, but I really like the $2 bill...

I found this thread while mindlessly reading and couldn't help but reply to this. My Father recently passed away and while going through his safe I found 5 uncirculated $2 bills, consecutive serial #s! How odd is that?? Is there any significance??

Sam Craig

One Too Many
ticket stubs and bucks

I like to tuck ticket stubs from movies that I've enjoyed in my sweat.

Also, I have an old "Gus" bashed Open Road I wear when I go to Honduras on mission trips, and it's a great idea to tuck a few bucks in there just in case ...

I agree that gum is a bad idea, and so are crackers, not to mention cheese, meat snacks and hard candy.

Usually, the first movie I attend after getting a new hat — or one that is "new to me" — you'll find a stub from the film, unless it really stinks.
;)

Karyl

New in Town
used to have a short letter and a sketch of me made by my girlfriend... well.. used to have..

now i don't know, maybe i'll put some linear algebra axioms there.. wouldn't do any harm ;p

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Off topic but may be useful

T Smith said:
I found this thread while mindlessly reading and couldn't help but reply to this. My Father recently passed away and while going through his safe I found 5 uncirculated $2 bills, consecutive serial #s! How odd is that?? Is there any significance??
a self imposed:eek:fftopic: Nice find. Are they the old backs? I've found $2.00 bills the perfect tip (in advance) to a hat check. I always ask when in the bank and found as many a 20+ at a time. The Montis stay home but the 1976 and later signers go under the money clip.
Tom D.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Ever since finding a couple of old price tags and sales receipts under the sweatbands of vintage lids (and being amazed at the prices) I try to remember to put receipts under the sweats of any new hats that I buy. Maybe someday in the distant future, someone will be amazed that I "only" paid $150 for my new Dobbs way back at the turn of the 21st century.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I've put something there with one hat, the one I got pretty much destroyed. I laminated the old reorder tag that had fallen off the felt with a with a little bit of info on the flip side (approx. age of the hat, what I had done to it), written it out on the corner of a notecard, and stuck that back there along with the original size tag, which I laminated as well.

A c-note sounds like a good idea. Someone want to mail be a few?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I haven't got into the habit of putting cards or notes in my sweatband, but this thread reminds me of how Abraham Lincoln often put letters or notes in his top hat to conveniently carry with him.

jwalls

Vendor
A few years back I got in the habit of putting the bands of cigars that I smoke during the day in my sweatband. It seems a silly affectition, but it work for me.[huh]

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Randal said:

When I go on vacation, I bring $50-$100 in $2 bills to use as tips. You should see the looks on taxi and waitstaff faces when handed to them. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails