Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's behind your sweatband?

Randal

Familiar Face
My wife was poking fun at me the other day and told me I was odd (I'm not disagreeing) because I keep things in the sweatbands of my hats. Besides the pieces of felt I use for sizing issues, I have one of my business cards tucked in the back and a $2 bill tucked in the front of the sweatband of every hat I own.

Does anyone else keep things in their sweatbands, or is this another "unique" trait to add to my list? :p

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Nothing at the moment, but it would be a good place to stash a sawbuck. Most of you guys have so many hats, you'd need a loan to put a dollar bill in every one.

jpbales

Practically Family
well, I have put a business card in every one of my hats after reading a thread about "like hell it's yours" cards. I also put a laminated wallet-size picture of my girlfriend into one of mine, but I think it fell out somewhere. I came home one day and noticed that it was nowhere to be found inside my hat [huh] It stinks because that was the first picture of me she gave me when we started dating :(
Other than that, I haven't put anything else up there. I've heard of people placing a cloth in their hat so that if they set it down some where they can place it on the cloth. I look crazy enough as it is though, so I don't do the cloth thing :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Stoney said:
I have a habit of sticking concert ticket stubs into mine and never taking them out.
Me too. I do the same thing with the odd business card from time to time.
I once asked an ebay seller to look behind a sweatband for a size tag. They didn't find a tag but they did find a c-note.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I don't put anything behind my sweatbands if I can help it. Sometimes an "ownership card" with my name, address, and phone number on it.

The only thing behind my sweatband is the protective cellotec liner! Hiyaa!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, a "c-note". That's what I've got in every one of my hats.
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Now that I got that little fantasy out of my system...

In every one of my 80+ lids, over on the ribbon side, I keep one of those little hi-tech plastic toothpick/dental floss gizmos. The only exception is my very old Stetson No.1 Quality western. In that one, in deference to its age and style I keep a regular old-fashioned wooden toothpick. :D

When I am handed biz cards or receipts at check-outs I often stow them in the sweatband 'til I get home.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
Yeah, a "c-note". That's what I've got in every one of my hats.
lol lol lol lol lol lol

Now that I got that little fantasy out of my system...

In every one of my 80+ lids, over on the ribbon side, I keep one of those little hi-tech plastic toothpick/dental floss gizmos. The only exception is my very old Stetson No.1 Quality western. In that one, in deference to its age and style I keep a regular old-fashioned wooden toothpick. :D

When I am handed biz cards or receipts at check-outs I often stow them in the sweatband 'til I get home.

Harp I was 14 or 15 and it was maybe a buck or twolol lol

alden405

A-List Customer
In my Optimo at the moment i have sprig of lavender (my Grandfather said it would work as natural insect repellant),an Aussie 5 dollar note (if i forget my lunch,i dont forget my hat) and my partners buisness card(she is a doctor of Chinese medicine and if it ever comes up i can pass out a card)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Harp I was 14 or 15 and it was maybe a buck or twolol lol

It'd be OK with me if you had a million, man. I don't think of money as being that evil, filthy stuff of bad guys.

But anyway, my post was inspired by Carter's above entry which referenced "a c-note".
:)

OddSteve

Familiar Face
If I remember that correctly, Leopold Bloom, the main character in James Joyce' Ulysses, had a fake identity business card behind his sweatband that he used for picking up mail from his mistress at the post office.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hermann's Hat of Incredible Coinkydinks

may be read about here.

An old Marine turned actor is about to audition for the role of Mayor Shinn in The Music Man.
He buys an old homburg thru eBay. When it arrives, stamped on the sweat in gold is: "Shinn Clothing Co., Ashland, O."
Inside the sweat are 2 ticket stubs to a movie house that turned out to be playing The Marines Fly High.

:eek: You will believe.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I don't put anything there, but now that you've got me thinking about it, I may tuck some baffling cryptic scraps in a few, just to pique the interest of some future lounger. Maybe a safe combination along with the address of some affluent business, or . . .

Dewhurst

Practically Family
randooch said:
...I may tuck some baffling cryptic scraps in a few, just to pique the interest of some future lounger. Maybe a safe combination along with the address of some affluent business, or . . .

Now that is a grand idea! Give future vintage hat purchasers something to do in their spare time when not cradling their newest hat acquisition.lol

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Pardon me for intruding into the Men's domain - but since this was so timely for me I couldn't resist...

I recently purchased a large lot of hats. As I was cleaning them up, a small folded piece of paper fell out.
It was old & yellowed (I estimate the hat to be from the late 50's or so) with "old" handwriting (you know how you can almost tell the age of something simply by the style of writing? Why is that?)

Anyway - it's not terribly exciting, but it was a name & address. I looked up the address online (in Shawnee, OK) and was able to see the actual house with Google's street view.
It was a nice little 30's (I think?) home, on a street with many other small but nice homes from the same era. Cleanly manicured lawns and very small, well kept houses.

For some reason, this has completely entranced me.

What was that address doing there? Who was this person who lived in the house? Does he still live there?

I still have the piece of paper because I can't bear to toss it out. Should I put it back into the hat?

Just thought I'd share :)

Thwack

Familiar Face
Well now I'm just going to have to start stowing stuff in my hat... I didn't think things would survive up there. With the heat, sweat, and just plain hair grease that things would get nasty and gross.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails