Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's cooking?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have to admit that my personal faves are heartier stews,but I do enjoy a bowl of creamy tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm not much for soup. My soups usually like Ruby said, are like stews. My mother LOVES spit pea soup. All I can say is,
wacko.gif

Grace

Vendor
I love soup, I just have to eat a lot of it to feel full.

I've been on the hunt for a good, creamy home made clam chowder recipe-the canned chowders are too watery.

Anyone have a really good clam chowder recipe?

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
Last weekend all of my family was home, so I cooked quiche for the women as the 'real men' won't eat it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/clarks-quiche/detail.aspx

This is a link to the recipe - it's very good! What I would change about it: instead of crusts prepared in a tin, I would buy the crust that you roll out and put into your own pan which are usually larger than what you buy. There is so much filling it tends to run over making for a mess.

My favorite thing to make is spaghetti and meatballs - my kids adore it!

I also enjoy wowing people with a raspberry almond coffee cake YUM-O!

Probably won't cook again til the weekend though. sigh.

I can make some stuff too!

I love to make spaghetti sauce and it is never the same sauce twice, always tweaking it, this way or that.

I love to make a spicy seafood or just clams marinara.

I love to make chili with those big red beans in it.

I love to make Chili Verde with the roasted or fried pork, yum!

I love to BBQ, steaks, lamb, or do some big beef ribs in the Texas style with dipping sauce.

I can do the Thanksgiving turkey dinner but the challenges are:
good gravy and timing it so everything is ready at the same time.
Also, the last item in the microwave is always forgotten until the end of the meal!

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving, turkey and all the usual family favorites!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Back Yards recipe

RedPop4 said:
Tonight was baked/braised chicken breasts. I used "Back of Yards Seasoning" from the Spice House in Chicago on the chicken breasts. I lined the baking pan with foil, rubbed the foil with olive oil, put in the seasoned chicken, and then poured in some Newman's Own Balsamic Vinegarette halway up the sides of the chicken breasts.

Got a good reception.

...another "back of the Yards' Chicago recipe is beer can chicken.
Cut off the top of a beer can (Miller Lite-it tastes great and less filling),
after pouring half out, fill to the top with "Moo and Oink" barbecue sauce,
then place on a Webber grill-atop which place a chicken. Cover the chicken
with more "Moo and Oink" sauce, cover the grill and leave alone for two
hours.

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
"Also, the last item in the microwave is always forgotten until the end of the meal!"

That is so true at my mom's!! I don't know how many times a broccoli and rice casserole was left there!! :p

Harp

I'll Lock Up
MinnieRose said:
"Also, the last item in the microwave is always forgotten until the end of the meal!"

That is so true at my mom's!! I don't know how many times a broccoli and rice casserole was left there!! :p

lol ...broccoli and rice casserole? seems like a deliberate omission!;)

Sin-a-gong: a Phillipino tamarind Chicken Soup!

I enjoy soup and the soup and sandwich combo often is hard to beat.

NOW! My sister in law is from the Phillipines and makes a soup called Sin-a-gong, which is a Chicken Soup that has baby Tamarind leaves in it.

Earlier someone mentioned a squeeze of lemon in the chicken soup, well if you like that, you'll love this.
The tamarindo flavor is tart and really compelling.

For the un-initiated, it may take two or three trys, kinda like scotch.

The first time you go "this ain't right!"
The second time "it's not that bad."
The third time you'll say "save some for me!"

Next is the A-doe-boe, mmmmm!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I make a meal split pea soup. Who likes nice soup?

LD

I am a soup-lover, Lady Day. My personal fav lately is a Jamaican Black Bean Soup..lots of sweet potato, Beans, Peppers, all cooked in coconut milk with scotch bonnet peppers-very firey!

Christopher

New in Town
Since winter is coming...

Croc-pot soups:

Split pea with ham hock

Chilli

Chicken and dumpling

New England Clam Chowder

As far as regular cooking:

Pork shoulder in olive oil, basil, salt and pepper with cheesy mashed potatoes on the side (for scooping and dipping the meat into).

Mushroom rice with shredded grape leaves, raisins, pine nuts, cinnamon, and 4 forms of mushrooms with thinly sliced Kielbasa on the side.

Lasagna, Italian style.

Sausage stuffed mushrooms with rosemary, pine nuts and sun dried Tomatoes.

And polenta with half n half and a stick of butter instead of water.

Mmmm...

For those watching their weight right?

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I cook a lot of soups and stews. I also do a lot of cajun cooking. Jambalaya being my specialty. My wife is a very good cook and we do a lot of dinners from scratch on pretty much a nightly basis. We are doing a full traditional Christmas meal for the family at our new home that was built in 1950. Well it is new to me. I hope to one day start my own resturant.

Gray Ghost

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Grace said:
I love soup, I just have to eat a lot of it to feel full.

I've been on the hunt for a good, creamy home made clam chowder recipe-the canned chowders are too watery.

Anyone have a really good clam chowder recipe?

I have one that I just love, it's creamy Boston chowder. Would you like me to PM it to you?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
My husband is part filipino and makes some wonderful authentic dishes.He hasn't made that soup that John mentioned yet,though.[huh] (So,I'll anxiously await trying that one out)
My favorite is a toss up between his chicken adobo served over steamed jasmine rice(which is what we're having this evening)and his oxtail stew.
His Aunt made lumpia,which is a fried pork filled spring roll for the b-b-q his family put together for our wedding complete with a full roasted pig.So good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran