Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats everyones opinion on 100%wool fedora's?

I agree. The soft felt wool that I posted above has a some what rubbery feel (it had to be machine blocked) but the density / finish is similar to the wool Melone I posted (this is probably my favorite to wear). It's a nice hat even for that time period.

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Getting back to the basics...each has it's place.
Advantages Fur:
Longer wearing
Better feel
Generally better quality from better makers
Can be blocked and is easier to custom fit

Advantages Wool:
Lower cost
Crushable
Allows a new hat wearer to see what style they like or dislike
Can be treated for water resistance [Scotchguard, etc]

I have both and I think both have their uses. My wool ones see more wear because I wear them for work and they get abused occasionally and I don't want a $100 fedora ruined by some idiot. [I'm a Parole Agent, for the record]. Just like there are some fountain pens I will carry daily and some that are reserved for the weekend.

I've come across a few vintage (30s/40s) British and French wool fedoras, and they all seem to have kept their shape nicely. My first experiment with hats, way back in the day, was a modern wool felt I got in Filene's, and it was a disaster. After a couple of wears it had completely lost its shape, the brim was awful and floppy.

The vintage ones (one of which I still own and wear regularly) are fine. Denser, heavier and with less of a fine finish than fur, they look cheaper. But perfectly serviceable vintage fedoras.

hutch

Familiar Face
I personally don't own any wool hats because I prefer fur felt. I have seen a couple off modern wool fedoras from Goorin Brothers that I liked any may purchase in the future.

My thought, however, is that a wool hat you like and frequently wear is better than any fur felt hat that collects dust on the shelf and never sees any head time . Then again, this is just my opinion.....

Hutch

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I personally don't own any wool hats because I prefer fur felt. I have seen a couple off modern wool fedoras from Goorin Brothers that I liked any may purchase in the future.

My thought, however, is that a wool hat you like and frequently wear is better than any fur felt hat that collects dust on the shelf and never sees any head time . Then again, this is just my opinion.....

Hutch

Hi Hutch

I think that the majority opinion on the lounge is that if you have a wool hat that you like and wear frequently, you should buy one JUST LIKE IT in Fur Felt because you'll be wearing it frequently for a lot more years.

Just m $0.02.

hutch

Familiar Face
Hi Hutch

I think that the majority opinion on the lounge is that if you have a wool hat that you like and wear frequently, you should buy one JUST LIKE IT in Fur Felt because you'll be wearing it frequently for a lot more years.

Just m $0.02.

Hi MJS,
Great point. It took me about 2 years and about 8-9 hats before I realized my own personal style preference. Owning fur felt hats allowed me to reshape some of them to what I liked. Something that I may not have been able to do had they been wool hats.

Hutch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner