Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Salisbury steak, gravy, rice, fried cabbage, salad
I ended up not having this I was in the mood for hamburger steak. So I had hamburger steak with cheese and gravy and mashed potato patties. Not having the best day, so doubt I will have dinner tonight. Might make the Salisbury steak and sides tomorrow.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Last night, pork chops with dry rub of oregano, cumin, basil, salt and pepper, loaded mashed potatoes (used the Kitchenaid to blend in the sour cream, cream cheese and butter), green beans boiled up with salt, pepper, and celery salt; a Coastal Estates cabernet rounded out the feast.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Black eyed peas with smoked sausage, spinach, cornbread, salmon patties, sliced cucumbers, fresh squeezed lemonade, and a banana with nutella for dessert

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Oh, man, black eyed peas and corn bread were staples when I was growing up; my folks were originally from Oklahoma.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the supermarket yesterday, I saw a couple of succulent steaks marked down from £7 to just £2, they were on their sell by date. Also on the same counter was a pack of lamb's kidneys marked down to just 35 pence, for the same reason. I put both packs into my shopping.
Yesterday evening I finely chopped an onion, three cloves of garlic, a yellow pepper and a small buch of spring onions, sometimes known as salad onions. Then I cut the steak into bite size squares, removed the veins from kidneys, before finely chopping them.
In a large skillet pan I heated a good slosh of olive oil, when the oil was hot I put in the garlic, followed by the onions and then all the rest of the ingredients. Gave it all a good mix, covered it with a lid and turned the heat down. While that was cooking, I made, and rolled out, shortcrust pastry, lined a cooking dish and placed half the rolled pastry into said dish.
Meantime, I made a gravy mix, adding a glass of red wine. The wine opens the sinews of the meat making it very tender. The gravy mix went over the ingredients, a good stir and left to simmer. When cooked, all the contents were poured into the prelined serving dish and covered with the rest of the pastry. An air hole was prodded into the centre and the pastry brushed with the yoke of an egg.
Into a hot oven for half an hour. Whilst that's cooking, boil some new potatoes, when cooked, mash them, then turn the mash into the skillet that had been previously used. Keeping the heat high, toss and turn the mash to get it to just burn slightly in order to give the edge a flaky appearance.
Slice into the pie, serve a portion each with a helping of the mash and some freshly cooked green beans. A glass of Merlot completes the meal. Enjoy.
snake and pygmy.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart