Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Sautéed some thin sliced onions in olive oil until translucent and slightly browned, then threw in some chopped garlic and let cook a few more minutes while I chopped the cabbage. I usually cut it very thin, but it doesn't matter, just preference. Toss in the cabbage along with a little salt and pepper. I also threw in some crushed red pepper because I like it spicy. Stir it all around for a few minutes then put a lid on and lower the heat. Let it sort of steam until soft as you want it to be. At the end I tossed in the meatballs and scooped it all over rice. Smoked or fresh sausages work well with this too. Or just plain. I usually fix fried or mashed potatoes to go with this, but I was out of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That is some sweet talkin'
:D

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Sautéed some thin sliced onions in olive oil until translucent and slightly browned, then threw in some chopped garlic and let cook a few more minutes while I chopped the cabbage. I usually cut it very thin, but it doesn't matter, just preference. Toss in the cabbage along with a little salt and pepper. I also threw in some crushed red pepper because I like it spicy. Stir it all around for a few minutes then put a lid on and lower the heat. Let it sort of steam until soft as you want it to be. At the end I tossed in the meatballs and scooped it all over rice. Smoked or fresh sausages work well with this too. Or just plain. I usually fix fried or mashed potatoes to go with this, but I was out of them.

Sounds like a winner! I'm thinking that might be good as part of a mett sandwich, sort of a more northern version of Italian sausage with peppers and onions on a hoagie roll.

I take it kolbassa is similar to kielbasa. I'm on a Great Hunt to find kielbasa like mom made when I was a kid. One difference from the stuff I find now, at grocers and butchers, is the kielbasa we had as kids had yellow mustard seed in it. Ever heard of or seen this?
No, my wife who is Ukrainian from a big community in northern Alberta knows Kolbassa (and yes same stuff as yours just different spelling) Many of the smaller towns had businesses that would make the sausage. The great debate (argument!!) was which town had the best. Each recipe added their own secret ingredients but the one common denominator was garlic,.....lots and lots of garlic.
I buy it from a shop about 40 minutes away that used to be run by a Ukrainian family. He passed on and is now run by, of all people, a South Asian family. The quality is still top notch but he has cut the garlic by half or more so it does not have the same bite!!!

Bigger Don

Practically Family
No, my wife who is Ukrainian from a big community in northern Alberta knows Kolbassa (and yes same stuff as yours just different spelling) Many of the smaller towns had businesses that would make the sausage. The great debate (argument!!) was which town had the best. Each recipe added their own secret ingredients but the one common denominator was garlic,.....lots and lots of garlic.
I buy it from a shop about 40 minutes away that used to be run by a Ukrainian family. He passed on and is now run by, of all people, a South Asian family. The quality is still top notch but he has cut the garlic by half or more so it does not have the same bite!!!
Most of the kielbasa around here comes from national companies. I keep asking around at specialty shops, but to no avail. The best so far is a mettwurst made by a downtown butcher, 25 miles away. The good news is their only a few blocks fom the local hat shop, Batsake's.

In observance of national taco day I had.......tacos. Tacos al pastor, specifically, with a side of garlic fries topped with shredded chicken in mole sauce. And Pacifico. A few of them.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
In observance of national taco day I had.......tacos. Tacos al pastor, specifically, with a side of garlic fries topped with shredded chicken in mole sauce. And Pacifico. A few of them.

I've had Mexican for the past two Tuesdays in a row. I broke the pattern tonight with Asian, and I regret it because I didn't know it was National Taco Day. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner