Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I thought so too, with the Brussels sprouts being a particularly mean and unnecessary knee to the groin after the violent blow to the head of the liver and onions.
The sprouts were boiled until mushy and had a definitely not green in color. I struggled with them all my childhood because there are some textures that make me gag - the mushy, mealy texture being one of them. Also, they have always seemed intensely bitter to me. I read an article about a year ago that there are some people that the "bitter sensing" taste buds on their tongues are really sensitive to foods such as sprouts and it intensifies the flavor in a very unappetizing way. That explains why as an adult I have not been able to prepare them in any way that is appetizing to me. I've tried roasting, using a ton of bacon, shallots, balsamic, and nothing helps. I just taste bitter. :(

The sprouts were boiled until mushy and had a definitely not green in color. I struggled with them all my childhood because there are some textures that make me gag - the mushy, mealy texture being one of them. Also, they have always seemed intensely bitter to me. I read an article about a year ago that there are some people that the "bitter sensing" taste buds on their tongues are really sensitive to foods such as sprouts and it intensifies the flavor in a very unappetizing way. That explains why as an adult I have not been able to prepare them in any way that is appetizing to me. I've tried roasting, using a ton of bacon, shallots, balsamic, and nothing helps. I just taste bitter. :(

I grew up in a pretty frugal, "eat what's on your plate" house. But to be fair, since I rarely complained - I got the vibe, eat and shut up - if I really truly didn't like something , my mom didn't make it most of the time to avoid the issue - so, by and large, things went okay. And the two foods that I couldn't eat - kill me if you want, I'm not eating them - were (and are) Brussel sprouts and tuna fish.

Both make me gag - to this day, I don't even like to be in the room with tuna fish. I got a pass on those at home, but let's be honest, it wasn't like my mom or dad were clamoring for Brussel sprouts and when she made tuna fish, I'd just have a cheese sandwich (Wonder bread, butter and Kraft singles) or bread and butter (the smell of the tuna fish killed my appetite anyway) - so no extra work was involved (I made those simple sandwiches myself anyway).

The real unspoken modus vivendi was that as long as it was very, very infrequent, known ahead of time and I made the substitute food myself (from stuff in the house already), I didn't have to eat what my parents ate. So, the few times horrible things like liver or tongue were on the menu - cheese sandwiches it was for me. 99% of the time, I ate what was made (and participated in making the meals as helping in the kitchen was one of my chores) - so all went pretty well. But I do remember literally gagging at the table on Brussel sprouts and being giving a surprising get-out-of-jail-free card on that one as even my take-no-BS dad probably saw it was a real response.

Am I the only one who likes liver & onions and Brussels sprouts? Oh well, more for me!!

Babydoll, you're probably done experimenting, but have you ever tried sauteeing them with some bacon? Cut them in half and get some caramelization on the open half - it sweetens them up and cuts through the bitterness a bit.

Having Depression-era parents, there was a definite "eat what's in front of you attitude," but I was never forced to consume something I truly didn't like. Oh, I had to try it, but if I really didn't like it, there was no coercion. Although we as kids were always tod, "If you don't like what's on the table, there's cereal in the cupboard!"

Am I the only one who likes liver & onions and Brussels sprouts? Oh well, more for me!!

Babydoll, you're probably done experimenting, but have you ever tried sauteeing them with some bacon? Cut them in half and get some caramelization on the open half - it sweetens them up and cuts through the bitterness a bit.

Having Depression-era parents, there was a definite "eat what's in front of you attitude," but I was never forced to consume something I truly didn't like. Oh, I had to try it, but if I really didn't like it, there was no coercion. Although we as kids were always tod, "If you don't like what's on the table, there's cereal in the cupboard!"

You are not alone, Fruno and I cook my sprouts the same way. Like you, I was never forced to eat something though I did have to try it. My tastes evolved over the years and many of the things I didn't "like" as a kid I now eat regularly.

You are not alone, Fruno and I cook my sprouts the same way. Like you, I was never forced to eat something though I did have to try it. My tastes evolved over the years and many of the things I didn't "like" as a kid I now eat regularly.

I was and still am an easy mark, though. If it doesn't move too fast and isn't pickled beets it's in danger of getting eaten.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab

Yes, and no amount of bacon could make it palatable for me. I was sad about the Brussels sprouts flavored bacon I couldn't eat!

Made vegan faux crabcakes last night. They are delicious.....not sure why they have to call them "crab cakes" as that is a red herring (my apologies).....If you google, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, vegan crab cakes it should be the first recipe that pops up. I am not by any stretch a vegan but will add these to my recipe rotation. A delicious starter or even a main!

Made vegan faux crabcakes last night. They are delicious.....not sure why they have to call them "crab cakes" as that is a red herring (my apologies).....If you google, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, vegan crab cakes it should be the first recipe that pops up. I am not by any stretch a vegan but will add these to my recipe rotation. A delicious starter or even a main!

Haven't tried those, but we have had many veggie burgers and a few other veggie things and some have been quite good. Like you, we are not vegans at all - and eat meat, fish and chicken (girlfriend doesn't eat red meat / I avoid most fish, but for taste reason) - but have found some of the veggie stuff to be quite good and that it stands on its own as a tasty meal whether or not your are a vegan.

"Bacon wrapped filet mignon -" followed by Fading Fast's brain going into some sort of extreme-happiness-induced vapor lock as images of crisp bacon girding a wonderfully charred filet mignon shut down all ability for his (acknowledge small) brain to continue working.
Yeah, I was pretty stoked too. From the moment I saw it on the menu, the sickness I was feeling left body. It was if I had never been ill at all. It felt like Christmas. This feeling was temporary and lasted only an hour after completion of the event, but the memory is still fresh in my muddled mind.
:D

Yeah, I was pretty stoked too. From the moment I saw it on the menu, the sickness I was feeling left body. It was if I had never been ill at all. It felt like Christmas. This feeling was temporary and lasted only an hour after completion of the event, but the memory is still fresh in my muddled mind.

Hope whatever has been making you sick is better now.

Way deep in my memory, stirred up by your post, is a meal I had in a Spanish restaurant back in the '90s. It was (odd that I remember this description, but I'd bet its almost exact) "medallions of fillet mignon wrapped in bacon and covered in Spanish cheese." It was as crazy fantastic as it sounds. That restaurant has long since closed and haven't seen that dish in other Spanish restaurants since.

Hope whatever has been making you sick is better now.

Way deep in my memory, stirred up by your post, is a meal I had in a Spanish restaurant back in the '90s. It was (odd that I remember this description, but I'd bet its almost exact) "medallions of fillet mignon wrapped in bacon and covered in Spanish cheese." It was as crazy fantastic as it sounds. That restaurant has long since closed and haven't seen that dish in other Spanish restaurants since.
Almost a sad kinda tale until you remember the phrase "medallions of filet mignon wrapped in bacon and covered in Spanish cheese." Great memory to have.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
A pizza from one of those design your own pizza chains, along with Last Shellhammer at Home son; Missus insisted she wasn't hungry until we got back, and then had "just a slice" from each selection.
When I design my own pizza, the store records a sharp dip in profits for that day.

So much filet mignon talk. Grilled filet with "rosin baked potatoes" (baking potatoes boiled in heavily salted water) then baking at a high temp until the skin becomes very crusty, the skin becomes potatoe chip like and the interior is soft and creamy, green beans because ???????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen