Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Pay attention GHT, I almost read that as Heineken for breakfast. One of the fallacies about us Brits is that we like warm beer. Not so, what we don't like is beer so cold that ice crystals sear the tongue.
In a bar, in Savannah GA, the beer that I ordered came as a glass of ice. This was to chill the glass. The ice was dispensed and replaced by ice cold beer. It was just alien on my palate. Then I made the classic faux pas, on ordering a second beer I asked for the glass not to be chilled.
"YOU LIKE WARM BEER?" Said the waitress, like I had committed a felony. "Not warm, but not arctic cold either." A kick from under the table told me to stop digging the hole.
Elsewhere, after that, I just had a glass of Merlot. You don't chill red wine.

For me, it's not an either or but facts and circumstances. The colder the beer, IMHO, the less nuances I'll notice in the flavor. So, for a rich interesting beer, like an oatmeal stout, I prefer it less cold (not warm) so that I can most appreciate the flavor intricacies. But at a ballgame on a hot day, the colder the Budweiser the better as that's about a generic beer taste and the cooling effects of drinking something really cold.

We ordered a new range/stove 4 months ago and are still waiting so we have been restricted in what we can cook as the old oven does not work. The controller/thermostat is wonky.. KitchenAide has production problems so we finally gave in and switched to Bosch but it has yet to arrive as well. BUT I convinced my wife to make me a quiche (spinach, bacon, cheddar cheese) I convinced her I could make the oven work and would take full responsibility for any disasters. I preheated the oven using the broiler function gauging the temp and by judiciously turning the broiler on and off over the 40 min cook time was able to do my wife's wonderful creation justice. Won't make a habit of doing this but it sure addressed my quiche craving. AND there is enough for dinner tomorrow!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Spaghetti & meatballs.

Spaghetti-and-Meatballs.jpg

Last night, we had Chinese food from a restaurant that makes it as it should be made. We started off with Fogcutters before filling up on shrimp toast, pot stickers, beef and broccoli, and pork fried rice. :D

Back from vacation! So glad to eat home-cooked meals. I make food that is so much better than a restaurant.

Last night, soft beef tacos.

Tonight, cheddar dogs, Cheetos, green salad with Goddess dressing. (Lily picked the meal - can you tell?)
I agree. We bought a motor home 3 years back and one of its huge advantages is a fridge and a fully usable kitchen. We prefer our own cooking as we control the ingredients and the motor home gives us full reign. Having said that, tell Lily I wholly approve of her choices. What is for dessert?

Cantaloupe & cherries.

That's the right way to do it - a healthy approach to dessert that should hopefully serve Lily well her entire life.

I, alas, am a lost cause as my mother absolutely, positively used sugar to fill me up and avoid more kitchen work for her (to this day, at 85, she'll acknowledge that without hesitation).

Hence, breakfasts were sugar-fests growing up: sugar cereals, coffee cakes, Hostess anything, leftover desserts from the night before, etc. - I sugared up every single morning of my childhood. And dessert after a meal was the same thing - cake, cookies, ice-cream / I don't even remember fruit being in the mix.

As a result, as I have explained to my girlfriend, while one can (and probably should) eat fresh fruit after a meal, that is not dessert. Dessert is something with a lot of processed sugar and, usually, fats and butter in some carbohydrate package. For example, an apple is not dessert / an apple pie is (and it's even better if it's a la mode).

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We try to take advantage of the bounty of fresh fruits available in the summer. This week we've had watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, grapes, apricots, nectarines, blueberries, bananas, and apples.

Teaching her variety & portion control is important to make sure she can make healthy choices on her own. Healthy doesn't have to taste like crap. :)

(And then there's the whole pesky thing of my body starting to reject dairy in violent ways. Most inconvenient for a cheese lover.)

We try to take advantage of the bounty of fresh fruits available in the summer. This week we've had watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, grapes, apricots, nectarines, blueberries, bananas, and apples.

Teaching her variety & portion control is important to make sure she can make healthy choices on her own. Healthy doesn't have to taste like crap. :)

(And then there's the whole pesky thing of my body starting to reject dairy in violent ways. Most inconvenient for a cheese lover.)

You're a very good mom.

As to cheese, I feel for you as I never want to see the day when my girlfriend has to choose between cheese and me. I'm afraid I'd be a goner. I could live without it (don't want to), but I don't think she could.

Cooked a 3# chuck roast (with leftovers in mind), mashed potatoes with gravy, and steamed carrots.

Adding carrots to the list of foods my body rejects now. Bummer.
Sorry to hear about the carrots. The rest of the meal sounds delicious enough to make up for a lack of them, though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav