Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Tonight, I'll probably have some zhongzi. For those who don't know what that is (quite likely), here's a photo:
1310884757_87c32ec61a.jpg

Zhongzi is a Chinese food. It's sticky rice and pork wrapped up in banana-leaves, tied up and boiled in hot water.

Once it's ready, you simply untie the leaves, chuck them out, and eat the rice and meat inside. Delicious and very filling. They may look small, but I don't know anyone who could eat more than two.

H.Herdick

Familiar Face
Tonight, I'll probably have some zhongzi. For those who don't know what that is (quite likely), here's a photo:
1310884757_87c32ec61a.jpg

Zhongzi is a Chinese food. It's sticky rice and pork wrapped up in banana-leaves, tied up and boiled in hot water.

Once it's ready, you simply untie the leaves, chuck them out, and eat the rice and meat inside. Delicious and very filling. They may look small, but I don't know anyone who could eat more than two.

Oh, this is so delicious. Heavenly. My mother in law, who lives in Fujian, China, can make this really well. And I can eat 3 or 4 of them.:) My mother in law wrap them up in bamboo-leaves, which, IMHO, is the original way to do it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, bamboo leaves, banana leaves...I must've gotten a bit mixed up.

I"m steaming mine now. Should be delicious!

The ones we have at home were a gift from my doc's wife.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Backyard grill grub was our meal tonight. We had maple syrup burgers, s'mores, and finished up with a strawberry Italian soda. Worth mixing up the beef and making homemade marshmallows, graham crackers, and strawberry syrup.

William Stratford

A-List Customer
Yesterday, roast chicken, roasted potatos, cauliflower, brocolli, yorkshire puddings and onion gravy. :) Today, chicken curry with egg fried rice.

As for the Zhongzi , I'm sure it's very nice....but it looks like the dog already tried it and disagreed ;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Rue. What the hell are SYRUP BURGERS!?

To William, They're really quite nice. I *know* they look a bit sus, but they are very delicious. What they're filled it depends on the kind you buy, obviously. You can get ones which are all vegetarian, you can get a mix, or you can get just meat. The ones I ate were pork, rice, mushrooms and...something else...chestnuts, I think.

The way to tell them apart is to see how they're tied up. Different types/colours of string/twine are used to tie up the bundles, and they'll indicate what's inside.

Tonight's dinner was very simple. Two tuna sandwiches. I'm doing my best to cut back on my food. My mother came home for a week and all her cooking made me fat. I gained nearly 8 pounds in seven days.

My weight is currently 63.3kg, down from 64.1. I'm trying to get back to my pre-mum's-visit weight, which was 61.7kg. I was aiming for 60kg flat, and probably would've made it if she and her food hadn't showed up when it did...

That said, I don't deny myself my treats...Tonight, it's chocolate and Saratoga fried potatoes! (That's potato crisps, for those not familiar with their history).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot