Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's going on with vintage prices?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Right You Are Then, Belly Tank

I got zapped out of this one on the QT. I think it's not that hats in general are going higher, it's the scarcer items that are going higher (and have been for some time) because of simple supply/demand.
Mr. H, your hat size is not so big by today's standards, but for The Golden Era, we're unusually large noggin types. So hats of any size over 7 3/8 will command higher prices because they're harder to find and there are more 7 1/2 and bigger heads now than there were then. On a graph, there would be an inverse ratio of hats sizes vs. demand over the past 75 years, I'm betting, like a big "X."
Same thing with suits. I have yet to see a single men's suit from the 30's - 50's in my size. Apparently, shoulders are a quite new evolutionary development for homo sapiens. :)
Any close size zings right up into the hundreds.

Think of the South Koreans. Average size of the the individual Korean has increased dramatically over the past 20 years or so, and Koreans are now reaching a rather traditional western height, mainly due to more widely available dairy products. In just a few more years - zero Korean vintage wear! ;)
The short version, Mr H, is that you and I are both out of the running on a very nice, desirable hat in a rarer size and unusual color in good condition. Add those up, and we're so screwed.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
It is indeed sad. I am half-screwed in that I can wear a lot of vintage-sized things being about a 38 jacket/33 waist but my head is about a 7 3/8-7 1/2!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ugly block

Regarding that auction
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8206706610)
I have to say the reblocking is tacky. The c-crown is strained and
does not look period. If I bought that hat I'd have to beat it into
submission. The ribbon doesn't sit as it should either.

Yep, big hats go for big bucks. Take it from this 7 5/8 guy (who can
get into some 7 1/2). I have a vintage tux and a few other things,
but generally I don't even try to find vintage 48-50 jackets, etc.
There was a time... back when Jon Lundberg had his men's vintage
store in Kensington... but no more.

badhatter

New in Town
Vintage Hat prices

I have to go with size having some impact on hat prices. Everyone, including me, has gotten bigger and 50 years ago people were thinner and smaller. There are not a lot of vintage hats in sizes larger than 7 3/8 out there. I talked with a woman at an antique store and asked what was selling in turquoise and she said the vintage stuff did well but not rings because a lot of the sizes were smaller than 7, she said the same thing about braclets and added, "most women have bigger fingers now".

One thing I do know...hat items, like boxes, forms and blocks are HOT and expensive. For some reason, having a vintage hat block stuck in the corner on a small table is all the rage it seems and that goes with hat boxes as well.
I saw a common Knox box at a thrift shop with a sticker of $10.00.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
I went suit hunting yesterday but surprise, surprise - nothing in my size! Guess I'm going to have to take the hit and get one tailor-made at a huge cost.

I know what you mean, I try to check e-bay at least thrice a week and go to thrift stores twice a week -- nada (me having a size 7 1/2 head and a 47 chest).

I'm kinda getting frustrated now finding: 1) Things that fit, and 2) Things that I can purchase using my meager teenage budget. :p

MissTayva

Matt Deckard said:
There have always been hats going for 200 or more on ebay, and there have been really awsome hats that go for 15 bucks on ebay. It depends on who wants what.

So true! I have seen ridiculous items -- say bullet bras, for instance... go for $100+! Yet, I have seen some very nice, rare and unusual items go for near nothing.

One thing I cannot understand, though, is vintage shoes.
A few years back, ladies '40s platforms were going for $1000+ thanks to a few overzealous bidders. If I paid that much money for them, I'd be scared to wear them out!

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Well.. as a SELLER of vintage (and a wearer, of course) pricing of vintage is a difficult subject.
There was a day when I could actually make a living on Ebay. That day is no more. A lot of sellers have taken to adding reserves to their items to protect their investments... especially during the summer months when bids are more scarce. Personally, I've mostly stopped selling on ebay altogether. Silly things go for way too much and good things... well it's enough to make one cry.
Plus.. selling on ebay is VERY expensive these days. I find that it's rarely worth it for me unless I'm selling something I know there is a particularly competive market for -- say, 50's war Tour jackets from Japan or Korea, vintage Dalton sweaters or anything Pucci (which I personally don't care for).

If you look for anything long enough you'll find extreme highs and extreme lows. These days I simply find a place in the middle, enough to cover my investment and also make the endeavor worthwhile, and hope for the best. So far so good.

Miss Tayva-- I do believe we'll be meeting shortly. I just spoke with your husband on the phone the other day (I only today figured out that you two were connected!) about having Jack & The Rippers play at our show later this month, Fri Aug 26th. By freak coincidence my husband and I met Nick at a vintage store in Long Beach last week... we got to talking about the show we were promoting.. and the rest is history.

MissTayva

elsewhere said:
Well.. as a SELLER of vintage (and a wearer, of course) pricing of vintage is a difficult subject.
There was a day when I could actually make a living on Ebay. That day is no more. A lot of sellers have taken to adding reserves to their items to protect their investments... especially during the summer months when bids are more scarce. Personally, I've mostly stopped selling on ebay altogether. Silly things go for way too much and good things... well it's enough to make one cry.
Plus.. selling on ebay is VERY expensive these days. I find that it's rarely worth it for me unless I'm selling something I know there is a particularly competive market for -- say, 50's war Tour jackets from Japan or Korea, vintage Dalton sweaters or anything Pucci (which I personally don't care for).

If you look for anything long enough you'll find extreme highs and extreme lows. These days I simply find a place in the middle, enough to cover my investment and also make the endeavor worthwhile, and hope for the best. So far so good.

Miss Tayva-- I do believe we'll be meeting shortly. I just spoke with your husband on the phone the other day (I only today figured out that you two were connected!) about having Jack & The Rippers play at our show later this month, Fri Aug 26th. By freak coincidence my husband and I met Nick at a vintage store in Long Beach last week... we got to talking about the show we were promoting.. and the rest is history.

Tour of Duty jackets... now there is a neverending hot item. We were bidding on one for a toddler a couple of years ago while I was still pregnant. No joke, the thing went for more money on eBay than you usually see the "big people" ones go for!
I've given up selling on eBay. I do, however, work as a sellers assistant. Talk about headaches! I used to sell a lot of vintage clothing, and items I would expect to sell for a lot wouldn't sell for squat. Plus the hassle with dealing with psychos and non-paying customers.
I'd rather buy from an online vintage vendor and cut out the middleman (eBay!). I find the prices are more reasonable, and someone with a storefront away from eBay is more likely to be honest about the integrity of an item. I'd rather give 100% of my money to an online storefront rather than someone selling on eBay that has to end up forking over a good portion of the money to eBay. The seller's fees are ridiculous these days!

Kristine-- I just got your message on MySpace. Unfortunately, I won't be attending that show. I will, however, be in L.A. a few days later for the Rockabilly Showdown and about a million modeling gigs. So hopefully I'll see you around then!
That's too funny that you met Nick. His store is one of my favorites. We always come home with great items from there, at even better deals. I guess it helps to know the owner, huh?
Good luck with the show!

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Ahhh I see you found the thread!
The guy who's promoting the Showdown (Rich from Black Cat entertainment) has been very helpful with advice for our show. We're not promoters by trade (although it's not a totally foriegn endeavor to me) so his advice as been very appreciated.
Sorry you won't be attending the show! Maybe we will meet at the Showdown. Not sure at this point if we're attending or not.

As for tour jackets... I once bought one from a local antique dealer who was cleaning out her storage space for $10. It was in TERRIBLE condition and I agonized over whether it was WORTH that much money. I bite the bullet & soon after listed it on ebay. I was shocked (and a little appalled!) that it sold for approx $480. Recently, on of my "co-workers" (that is to say... a fellow vintage seller who is also a member of the Vintage Fashion Guild) sold one for over $1100!! And it wasn't in much better condition than mine!

Yes, though. I agree totally in regards to ebay. As a seller, it's just not worth it. So many things were going unsold while cheap reproductions from sellers of ill -repute would go sky high! And the fees to ebay...well.. it wasn't worth it BEFORE this recent fee hike. Now I only list things there when I know it's a sure shot. When I do that I sometimes also list a few items that I don't mind going cheap just to make more room here in the Elsewhere studio.

btw-- the Vintage Fashion Guild (.org) has a list of it's sellers-- all of whom must adhere to strict rules & regulations regarding condition & customer service. For those who like to buy vintage online, it's a good resource. Members sell from a variety of places... their own websites as well as ebay and also Babylonmall.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo