Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats in YOUR winter wardrobe??

D

Deleted member 12480

ah there are a few charity shops on the highstreet round the corner from where i live, but now that i think about it, i can't even remember seeing coats! My city centre is pretty poor, too, and the coats are usually very unattractive. I can only have a rifle on weekends and thats if i can drag the boyfriend into town. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled though. :) xxx

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
deleteduser said:
il_430xN.116475532.jpg

It looks to be wool, and in pretty good condition.

its only £36 + £13 shipping but i'm still too poor for that at the moment!!

Oh being too young for a job sucks. :/

xxx
Yes I can remember feeling that lack of freedom and couldn't wait to get my first job. Now I wish I didn't have to work and could stay at home with my kids. So my advice be a kid for a short while longer.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
ah there are a few charity shops on the highstreet round the corner from where i live, but now that i think about it, i can't even remember seeing coats! My city centre is pretty poor, too, and the coats are usually very unattractive. I can only have a rifle on weekends and thats if i can drag the boyfriend into town. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled though. :) xxx
I always try and take a trip to a town near me that has really good charity shops because it is more upmarket than where i live, and the pickings can be better. Lots of rich old ladies haha. I don't know if there is anywhere like that near you, but sometimes its worth going a bit further afield for a rummage about. I'm sure something will come up. x

Foofoogal

Banned
Annie, look at it this way. You are educating yourself about what is out there.
If you had the money and bought the first thing you see then later on when you have more knowledge you would be kicking yourself.

I find this is one of the sad things about life as I move around. People get so used to life around them they are like the horses with blinders on (not sure if you know what these are) Now with the internet one can learn as much as they ever wanted outside of their own towns or existence.
So look and dream and stay interested in fashion and who knows what you will glean by time you are older.
Dreaming gave me my business but I started by reading everything about it way before I did it.

This is good homework. lol
---------------

That coat is devine though so you have nice taste.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I have really really specific taste so Vintage-inspired is usually for me. The coat in my avatar pic I got in Oasis last year and it's lovely. I also got a full length wool coat from a Gothic Designer which I have adapted to my taste. I like coats with a defined waist and a bit of fullness in the skirt.

This year I'm after a bright red wool coat and a bright red cashmere wrap.

Things I can't do without for winter are cashmere sweaters and cardigans (new form John Lewis but classic in style) and cashemeer lined leather gloves- the ones you buy in half-sizes, as i have very small hands.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato said:
Service skirts. My ATS skirt helps me through the winter; I'm going back for a WAAF skirt in the autumn. Back to the shop, that is, not back in time :)

That's the perfect solution Kate - a time machine!:)
I have been thinking along these lines myself as I really feel the cold. In my case dresses have to be accompanied by thick black opaque tights, but I would like to find some reasonably glamorous but sensible walkable rainproof shoes or boots, but preferably with a bit of a heel to give my legs some length. Sounds like an impossible combination...
Also would like to find some new fantabulous accessories to keep the cold out. I am hoping that with all the talk of 'vintage' in the magazines recently I will be able to find something nice on the high street for peanuts.

annet

One of the Regulars
i got a blue pretty long early 1960s coat last year, just as the winter was ending! now i can wear it. i also have my new sailor pants to keep me toasty (due to being sensitive to wool i can only wear them with leggings, so on the really cold days!) and two pairs of flat shoes (saddle shoes and black oxfords)

the flannel slip looks like a good idea, i'll just draft a pattern using a half slip i have lying around...

now if only i could find a nice pair of high heeled oxfords (not too high) for a decent price, i'd be all set!

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Miss sofia said:
Etsy is good, or start trawling the charity shops and junk shops, i have got some belters over the years from there:eusa_doh: . I'm a bit off ebay at the min, as I have just bought a great fifties faux leopard on ebay, but actually the seller totally got the size wrong (it fits tho thank goodness) and it was filthy when i got it, not packaged properly, crumpled to high heaven, so it has got me a little huffy as it has cost me a bomb to get cleaned, i don't mind but i wish they had prepared me for the smell of ciggies and dogs when i opened the parcel. I smoke and have a dog, but the woman must have had a St Bernard that smoked cubans or something, it was awful! Not meaning to rant, i'm sure i'm not alone in finding ebay a little tiresome sometimes:eusa_doh: .

Oh I know exactly what you mean! When I got my faux leopard coat the way it had been put on a tailors dummy with a belt showed it looking like a fitted coat with a princess collar, it arrived and it's actually a swing coat! Thankfully I have a belt that works with it but it is annoying, they also didn't send the matching hat (which turns out doesn't fit me cos I have a large head, but it's the principle! :D )

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ada Vice said:
Oh I know exactly what you mean! When I got my faux leopard coat the way it had been put on a tailors dummy with a belt showed it looking like a fitted coat with a princess collar, it arrived and it's actually a swing coat! Thankfully I have a belt that works with it but it is annoying, they also didn't send the matching hat (which turns out doesn't fit me cos I have a large head, but it's the principle! :D )

Your coat sounds gorgeous - I would love a fur swing coat - so glam! I have a leopard print faux fur trench coat already but another fur coat would be no harm so I'm on the lookout!

Shame about the hat but I agree it's the principle!!!!!!!!

Puzzicato

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21