Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

Lenore

Practically Family
*martini*time* said:
Then maybe a full coverage bra is what i'm lacking in my love life. Thanks for the tip hun. I'm going to the bay tonight!

Good luck!

Thinking about it.. it might not be the bra itself, but how I feel wearing it. I think he could tell I was much more confidant. Besides, leaving something to the imagination is always a good thing. Makes them think! ;)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Lenore said:
Good luck!

Thinking about it.. it might not be the bra itself, but how I feel wearing it. I think he could tell I was much more confidant. Besides, leaving something to the imagination is always a good thing. Makes them think! ;)

That's true...I always feel just a little more sassy when i'm wearing my vintage undergarments. Hmm...but my man just got me a purse...so he knows the way to MY heart.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
long line bras/long line girdles

Hello!have great news!decided that if I were going to do this dressing thing I was going to have to have the period correct foundation garmets!so....went' to jcp.com (jcpenny)ordered 1 cotten & 1 mesh long line bra for a very reasonible price of $15 each!the cotton one hooks in the back the mesh in the front!wore them each to work,didn't like the cup size of the cotton but the fit was comfy!the cup size was the same on the mesh but fit better!but the waist hurt!I couldn't wait to get out of it by the end of the day!
then came my Orchardcorsetts order! ordered the side zip rago 6201 along with a victorian long line body shaper #2558 will wear them on my day off instead of being uncomfortible during work!to see how they work for me! the long line bra coupled with the long line long leg panty girdle work well to make me feel "wrapped" but it's really hard when the boning hits you right in the arm pit all day! ouch!no way to fix it either!:( oh well! just giving my 2 cents worth!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
As a somewhat short-waisted woman, I hear you about that boning thing. I've got a pair of longline bras, and they're divine as shape wear, and for halter dresses and such, but at the end of a long day - ouch.

cupcake

Familiar Face
I just got myself my first garter belt! After searching through the department store lingerie section and getting fed up with all the lacy numbers I was directed to a pair by voodoo (hoisery brand). Its very basic but has metal clasps instead of the plastic ones. I also had a 15% off voucher so it only set me back $33!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
SO...
I am looking at a WKD bullet bra, and wondered about sizing.

In general I wear a 34C (I think.. its changed SO much from having kids)
SO I measured myself, with their websites guidlines, and it says I would be a 34A. :eusa_doh: I cant fit into the B bra I have at home(to small)
So I think ordering a 34A from WKD would be WAY too small for me. But I am not sure as they are shaped differently then modern bras...

do any of you have any input on sizing?

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
exquisitebones said:
SO...

SO I measured myself, with their websites guidlines, and it says I would be a 34A. :eusa_doh: I cant fit into the B bra I have at home(to small)
So I think ordering a 34A from WKD would be WAY too small for me. But I am not sure as they are shaped differently then modern bras...

I just checked and they've put up a new bra sizing chart (which is much easier to read than I remember the old one). I ordered one once before they had the new sizing chart. Even then, they said to preferably go by the size you were professionally fitted for (36Ds in Vanity Fair bras for me). However, I ordered a 36C since it was mentioned the cups could be roomy to our modern sizing sensibilities. Well, it was too small and my boobs filled it out in a funky, sausage-packed way. Not good! So, I'd order the size they say to order... (and make sure the bra you are wearing while measuring yourself fits you well just in case that changes the results.)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
exquisitebones said:
SO...

I actually had the opposite problem of JupitersDarling -- I followed the advice on their old sizing chart (will have to check out the new one!) and ended up with a bullet bra that was basically falling off of me! lol Luckily, they were good about exchanges. Even with the proper band size, I never fill the cups right, I have to use their bullet bra pads! All of that said, if you're normally a 34C, I think a 34A might be too small...maybe go for a 34B? I'd also recommend sending them an email if you're in doubt about the sizing.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hey ladies, does anyone here know where to buy heavy weight *stockings*? I'm talking opaque, winter weight "tights" that are stockings, 50 denier or above. The caveat is that they can't cost $15/pair! Also, I'm looking for work-wear, not Fully Fashioned...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Do they have to be nylon, or will cotton do? SockDreams sells a "plain cotton stocking" for $13 a pair, which is still pretty pricey. Vermont Country Store used to have them for $9.95 or so, but I haven't seen them listed there in a while.

Failing that, eBay searches for "Service Weight" stockings will sometimes bring good results -- that's pretty much what I always wear, and they last a long time. I don't think anyone today actually makes service weights anymore.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Do they have to be nylon, or will cotton do? SockDreams sells a "plain cotton stocking" for $13 a pair, which is still pretty pricey. Vermont Country Store used to have them for $9.95 or so, but I haven't seen them listed there in a while.

Failing that, eBay searches for "Service Weight" stockings will sometimes bring good results -- that's pretty much what I always wear, and they last a long time. I don't think anyone today actually makes service weights anymore.

Thanks Lizzie! I was just scouring SockDreams and didn't see those. They do not have to be nylon at all. In fact, with feet inside less breathable shoes and boots all winter, breathable cotton is probably better. $13/pair is a little pricey but not terrible. I currently have a pair that were the legs I cut off tights, but most tights won't stand up to this!

I'll also check for Service Weight. I do have a couple of pair of those, but they're a tad too big and they're also FF, which I don't like to wear to work.

Thanks again, you're a big help!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Brabarella said:
You might want to check out Berkshire Support Stockings. They're 70 Den., $5.00 a pair.

perrrrrrfect! And I can buy them locally.

Also, how smart to package stockings 3 to a package. I wonder why no one else seems to do that.

Brabarella

New in Town
Arggh!!! That's not correct. We were selling them as a three pack for $15.00, but changed it to allow customers to mix colors. We just finished re-doing the site last weekend but forgot to delete that part. Of course, if you're interested, you can have the three for $5.00 since you highlighted the error. I'm glad you found it.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Thanks Lizzie! I was just scouring SockDreams and didn't see those. They do not have to be nylon at all. In fact, with feet inside less breathable shoes and boots all winter, breathable cotton is probably better. $13/pair is a little pricey but not terrible. I currently have a pair that were the legs I cut off tights, but most tights won't stand up to this!

I just got 3 pairs of thigh high "socks" from sock dreams for this purpose. The N40S have great colors and are nylon, but they are a bit thick, especially at the top. The thickness is kind of between a sock and tights. The Hot Sox Cotton Thigh Highs are pretty great and look like a tight with a finished top. They also have these, but I didn't order them. I've cut hue cotton/lycra tights and they work great.

Little lady

Familiar Face
There are some opaque stockings at stockingshq.com mytights.com and stockingsdirect.co.uk but I think they are all uk based, I don't know if you're intrested in that. Haven't bought from any of them myself, yet. I'm very intrested in their wool stockings though.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Brabarella said:
Arggh!!! That's not correct. We were selling them as a three pack for $15.00, but changed it to allow customers to mix colors. We just finished re-doing the site last weekend but forgot to delete that part. Of course, if you're interested, you can have the three for $5.00 since you highlighted the error. I'm glad you found it.

Oh, I thought it meant they were being sold as 3 stockings to a package, which I wish more people did! When I buy my regular Hanes stockings, they come 2 pr to a package for $9.50, which works out pretty well. It means I always have extras :)

Brabarella

New in Town
It does make a lot of sense to package an extra pair. Stockings are much more economical than pantyhose regardless. BTW, Hanes has discontinued the 728's, so stock up while you can.

m_lamb99

New in Town
Stockings

i have a question about vintage stockings. I buy my wife vintage stockings every time I find them but often we have trouble with the size of her thighs. My wife is short at 5'-2" and heaveier with larger hipps and thighs. Her dress size is an 18/20. The problem we ussually have is that her thighs are short and the stockings ussually do not have enough stretch at the top and often do not lay right or cut into her thigh. Her shoe size is 7.5 but we ussually get a size 9.5-10 in stockings. Are there any solutions to this dilema?

Also does anyone here wear vintage on a daily basis to work etcetera or with modern skirts and dresses? My wife is very shy when it comes to people seeing the tops of her stockings or garters under todays shorter fashions?

Mike & mona

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112