Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

Brabarella

New in Town
Wow! Beautiful pictures Carey! The first one is stunning! BTW, the Playtex Cross Your Heart (Style 120/121) was discontinued last May (after decades!). We're out, but I'm sure there are other vendors out there that still have them. The 18 Hour (Style 20/27) is the last of the Playtex classics.

m_lamb99

New in Town
Hello Carey

Thanks for the response and yes please send me or post the style numbers. My wife is a 40DD according to the lady at Lane Bryant but that is modern styles. But in the boxed bras her cup size does go down. I really like the shape and the lift that the boxed bras give versus modern ones. My wife also thinks they give her good support as well.

As for the corset pictures I will have to look through my images this evening and see what I have. I have a ton of images some of which are not in my collection. The riding corset that I have is out in Vacouver with my friend Melanie of Lace Embrace corsets. I can also post a picture of my wife in her reproduction of a williamson health corset with nursing cups. try that this evening.

BTW: your pictures look very nice. I am also a big fan of SIL but have not ordered much from them in a while. I get dissapointed because the really pretty stuff ussually does not come in my wifes size.

Mike

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
fhiggs said:
Ladies,

just to say that the What Katie Did sale has literally just started online, so hurry over and grab some amazing half price deals!

I snapped up a waist cincher and two pairs of fully fashioned stockings! :)

boo, love the bra on sale, but everything to match is out of my size. Did get some new stockings though!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I really love SIL stuff, but their bras just do not fit me at all.

Also, I really hate how they pass off Rago items as their own, at higher prices.

Agree on both counts! It also makes me laugh how they're always labeling stuff as a new arrival when in reality, it's been on the site for a while and they've just given it a new name. That said...I really want the leopard garter belt!

zombi

A-List Customer
Okay ladies, I've got a question, and hopefully somebody's got an answer!!

I'm wanting a 40's style bra -- somewhat pointy, but not bullet, if that makes sense. I like the ones on the What Katie Did site, but I CANNOT for the life of me get an order with them to go through! Is there a place based in the US that sells these kinds of things? Has anyone else had this problem? Goodness!

ETA: Also, this is rather embarrassing to admit, but I am not certain I know exactly what size bra I should be wearing. I know what I HAVE been wearing, but recently I've read some things about bra sizes and how lots of women are wearing the wrong size... how do you know what size you should be? And does it differ according to bra type, ie, vintage style vs modern?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
zombi said:
how do you know what size you should be?

You go get a proper fitting. Not at Victoria's Secret, and not at a department store. You should go to a proper, upscale lingerie store... and find the oldest woman there that you can. She's the one who will give you the best fit :)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
A few years ago I went to a local lingerie boutique to get a 'proper' fitting, after reading so much about women often wearing the wrong size. Perhaps I expected too much, but it was a somewhat disappointing experience. The woman measured me as I have measured myself - around the ribcage and around the fullest part of my breasts. When she gave me the result (pretty much what I had already thought), I asked her, "so, this is my correct size then?" to which she replied, "well, it can be, but bras vary by manufacturer so you really just need to try anything on before purchasing to make sure it fits."

Sure glad I didn't pay money for that consultation. [huh] I came away with no special gem of wisdom, and the only real thing I learned that day was this boutique carries boring, overpriced merchandise, and hardly any stockings at all.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
Sure glad I didn't pay money for that consultation. [huh] I came away with no special gem of wisdom, and the only real thing I learned that day was this boutique carries boring, overpriced merchandise, and hardly any stockings at all.

Yes, it's true that size may vary by manufacturer. This is when a GOOD consultant will then go to the racks and pull off styles that fit what you're looking for in terms of style and end look. I went to Lady Grace here in Boston and she found the perfect bra for me. Even though sometimes their stuff is overpriced, I took note and am now able to go find it elsewhere at potentially lower prices.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Yes, it's true that size may vary by manufacturer. This is when a GOOD consultant will then go to the racks and pull off styles that fit what you're looking for in terms of style and end look. I went to Lady Grace here in Boston and she found the perfect bra for me. Even though sometimes their stuff is overpriced, I took note and am now able to go find it elsewhere at potentially lower prices.
:eusa_clap I highly recommend Lady Grace as well. I went there to get fitted sveral years ago & was able to find a good bra for my shape with the help of the fitter. It made things so much easier to have one bra style & brand I knew would fit perfect. I just wish I hadn't shrunk out of it... now I have no idea if I'm actually a C or D, and bra shopping once again takes me forever. I went to Victoria's Secret, but I was disappointed to find it didn't help at all since the fitter told me one thing but the bras I tried on in that size were on the tight, uncomfortable side. I need to find a good fitting place in upstate SC.

zombi

A-List Customer
Goodness! This is complicated! I don't know that I even know where to look for an upscale lingerie store. If a department store won't do, and a place like Victoria's Secret won't do, I'm not sure that I know what I'm looking for [huh]

There is not a Lady Grace location here.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
zombi said:
Goodness! This is complicated! I don't know that I even know where to look for an upscale lingerie store. If a department store won't do, and a place like Victoria's Secret won't do, I'm not sure that I know what I'm looking for [huh]

A quick search on Google maps for "lingerie" found the following:

The Lingerie Store, Oklahoma City - http://www.thelingeriestoreusa.com/

There are some others that I found, but this looks like a good place to start. They carry a variety of brands in different price ranges. I bet if you go there you can get a good fitting.

EDIT: Whoops! After further investigation, I see that this is a web only place. Basically, search for lingerie and then do a little digging. If a place carries a ton of trashy stuff or advertises video sales, avoid. It's tough, and you may have to poke your head in a few places, but you'll know when you see it. It will be clean, well lit, staffed by women you think your parents might like...

Good luck!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
zombi said:

I actually did luck out for a fitting at Macy's. There was and older woman there that snickered at my 36 B; hooked on the last hook (which made her snicker louder). She refit me and pulled out bras that fit my shape better. I ended up a 32 C, but she said I could get away with a 34 C. Some upscale department stores might work as well. Again, look for someone that only works in the lingerie department.

Coopsgirl

New in Town
I'm wondering if anyone has tried these or something similar.

http://stockingirl.com/Merchant2/me...Product_Code=LP55&Category_Code=_Garter_Belts

They are like sock suspenders but for your stockings. I hate pantyhose so I wear thigh highs but over the past few months I have been having problems with the silicone stuff on the inside of them that helps them stick to your legs. Most days (but not all) they leave large red welts that itch. I don't think I would like a garter belt as it just seems like that's too much going on and I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
What Katie Did 10% discount!

I recently purchased bra pads from What Katie Did and received a discount voucher code for my next purchase that expires january 18th! PM me soon if you're interested, since I won't be using it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
zombi said:

The best place to get a professional fitting is any specialty lingerie store that advertises that it fits mastectomy and nursing bras. The bras will be VERY expensive, but once you know your size, you can usually find them online for much cheaper. When calling local shops, ask if they carry British and European brands like Freya, Panache, La Perla. If they say no, it's probably not the right kind of store.

Lenore

Practically Family
kamikat said:
The best place to get a professional fitting is any specialty lingerie store that advertises that it fits mastectomy and nursing bras. The bras will be VERY expensive, but once you know your size, you can usually find them online for much cheaper. When calling local shops, ask if they carry British and European brands like Freya, Panache, La Perla. If they say no, it's probably not the right kind of store.

+1!!! Agreed. They're the best.

If you're in the Houston area, try Top Drawer Lingerie in Uptown. Not only do they do great fittings, I'm pretty sure they carry up to KK. A friend of mine used to buy all her goodies there. They're expensive (duh! they're in Uptown) but the quality is good. They carry things like Panache and La Perla and the staff is pretty nice too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Grace here does mastectomy fittings and all that, but carries a lot of regular, affordable brands like Vanity Fair and Maidenform, middle of the range brands like Felina, and expensive brands like Wacoal. They don't even carry the super top of the line brands like La Perla.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Coopsgirl said:
They are like sock suspenders but for your stockings. I hate pantyhose so I wear thigh highs but over the past few months I have been having problems with the silicone stuff on the inside of them that helps them stick to your legs. Most days (but not all) they leave large red welts that itch. I don't think I would like a garter belt as it just seems like that's too much going on and I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Not to be a debbie downer, but they look useless to me. I find that belts with 2 clips do a poor job holding up your stockings. One clip isn't going to do jack. Your stockings will be falling down all around! Also with a narrow strap like that, you are going to have to adjust it quite tightly around your leg so it doesn't slip, and that is going to be both uncomfortable and unsightly, as you will get "thigh spooge" both above and below the strap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner