Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on your keychain?

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I like a light, simple keychain. When I managed a store and had many keys and the weight of them actually damaged my ignition. I'd never even thought about the weight being an issue until then. I ended up with one you could split into two; car keys on one end, all the store keys and my house keys on the other.

I no longer have a car or a store. Now my keychain has my house key and a Hotel Del Coronado pic/fob because I miss it so much. And a small metal clip, so I can attach it to the inside of my purse for easy finding.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Two different keychains, depending on which vehicle I'm driving:

1. Truck key & remote, house key, mini flashlight, "Come and Take It" Texas flag keychain.

333ft7a.jpg

2. Car key & remote, leather tag/keychain from the car dealership, house key, and "Little Boy" bomb pewter keychain.

347vb00.jpg

Last edited:

skydog757

A-List Customer
I drive several cars, but on my 1989 Oldmobile Ninety Eight ring I have the original rectangular flexable plastic fob that the dealship gave out with it (long since closed), a round metal "Oldsmobile" logo, the original autolock fob and one key for the ignition, one for the locks/trunk.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have a little flashlight that came free with a Barnett clutch set for my Sportster. If I ever figure out if I have a flashlight on my phone, I can do away with it.

Jack Vincennes

New in Town
For about 15 years I've been using the Barbour "loop" style zipper pull off my first Barbour. After years of heavy field use the bottom stop of the zipper gave way and I had the loose pull in my hand. I kept it and sent the jacket back for repair (that was by far the least of the old friend's problems). I was in the process of moving and decided to attach the new key ring to the old zipper pull. By the way, the zipper pull makes a hell of a beer opener. I learned this at Hotel Commonwealth in Boston. The bartender gave me a few bottles of Sam Adams to take back to the room and there wasn't a wine key in the room. Barbour saved the day again.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Since this thread started, my original keychain was stolen by a tourist (long story) and it cost me a couple of hundred dollars to get a locksmith to take apart the door of my Toyota so he could make a duplicate key. My new key ring contains house and car keys, and a huge clutch of keys to the theatre, including a master key, a till key, and a key to all the dispensers in the bathrooms.

I have a separate key ring for my Plodge, which I happened to be driving the night my big keychain was stolen, and the Plodge keys were spared that fate. There's an aluminum ignition key, a brass trunk key, and a brass door key which only unlocks the passenger-side front door. (In the Era, most cars only had an outside-lockable door on that side, to discourage you from opening the driver's door into traffic. You were expected to slide across the front seat and exit from the passenger's side, and then lock that door using the key.)

The fob on the Plodge ring is a brass bulk-oil-tank label tag from the family gas station, bearing the inscription TEXACO 30. These tags were used to label the valves on drums kept in a rack in the grease room for dispensing oil into a quart-measure pitcher. It is just the right size and thickness to make a dandy scratcher for lottery tickets.

Jack Vincennes

New in Town
I know exactly those tags from my grandfather who worked for Mobil for about 65 years. He was a suit and tie guy but he could (and by default probably still could) load or unload bulk tank cars, trucks, etc. Or, deliver heating oil to your home. Nothing like the smell of getting doused in #2 heating oil at 8am in the morning and knowing how you would be smelling all day. It used to be a pleasure to hang around his office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner