Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Along similar lines, I would so LOVE to do away with the buzzword speak that seems so popular in today's business world. We dont' work with someone or some other organization, we "partner with them" and "support" them (what are we bridge pillars now?). We don't quickly accomplish little things we "capture the low hanging fruit." We can't work together and maximize skills. Rather we leverage and synergize. And blahblahblahblah. It's getting so we almost need English subtitles to understand this nonsense anymore.

This is definitely one "modern" thing that I won't miss when it falls out of fashion and (please, God!) disappears.

You need to shift your paradigm.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The word "task" used as a verb.

Wild-card playoffs.

High school "degrees."

People who take phone calls in the middle of the grocery aisle.

Talking vending machines.

"Upscale" drinking water.

Think tanks.

"Expert studies" sensationalized by the media until they're superseded by the next set of "expert studies."

"Hard-hitting" cable-TV documentaries framed up to get cheap publicity.

Lucida Handwriting.

"Citizen journalists" who use words like "wingnut" and "moonbat" and still expect to be taken seriously.

Dump stickers.

"No Dump Picking" signs.

"Audiophiles" who drive the price of common triode tubes to ridiculous levels.

Cutesy wine labels.

"Energy bars" with both the taste and the texture of a well-used Ozite cushion.

People who sell their kids' band candy for them.

Old school buildings being turned into condominiums.

Penn and Teller.

The word "snarky."

And could we please dispense with "Keep Calm" memes??? :rolleyes:

tumblr_m4lz5p0DY11qf76m1o1_500.jpg

_origin_KEEP-CALM-8.jpg

510663.png

Maybe it's a wrap if it's healthy, and a burrito if it's not. :D
Good point though. We make turkey burger wraps because they don't have beans and cheese in them. If we put those in it, then it becomes a turkey burrito. Don't encourage my wife or I'll be in the kitchen all night whipping up stuff to put in these things!
With all due respect, the contents are irrelevant. If it's wrapped in a flour tortilla, it's a burrito. The word "burrito" has been in common use for over a century now, and to suddenly decide to call it anything else is ridiculous and, in my opinion, at least mildly racist.

On a semi-related note, this subject has made me hungry and I think I'll have a carne asada burrito for dinner this evening. :essen:

hatguy1

One Too Many

Agreed. 24-hour news has been the worse thing to hit the journalism business ever. And when you add that every newspaper and TV station has websites now and they're all in a major rush to be the first to get a story out, they never fact-check or spell-check anything. And 24-hour TV newscasts just get to the point they just ramble and babble most of the time just to fill time....

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
With all due respect, the contents are irrelevant. If it's wrapped in a flour tortilla, it's a burrito. The word "burrito" has been in common use for over a century now, and to suddenly decide to call it anything else is ridiculous and, in my opinion, at least mildly racist.

On a semi-related note, this subject has made me hungry and I think I'll have a carne asada burrito for dinner this evening. :essen:
My wife made one with steak (see the connoisseur section) tonight. Well I made the meal she just fixed her "burritos" this way.

Cutesy wine labels?
Like this one?
wine.jpg
Good wine, weird label.

Dodge paradigm? I pulled mine out of the carport and washed it today. ;)
Earlier someone mentioned the use of buzz words.
Yeah that's annoying, especially when the person should have command of their own language as old as they are.
I have no idea where people pick those up, texting I guess, and since I don't text I don't know all the latest words.
The ones my grandparents used are still relevant to me, so I use those.
Of course I'm surrounded by many that use words even a sailor won't use!
This includes many women that blurt out x-rated words in a regular sentence.
Really? Couldn't find another term to describe someone, or something, and couldn't do it without invoking your
"mother?" For some of these people, if their mother were alive a bar of soap would be in that person's mouth.
As long as it isn't Lifeboy, that made Ralphie blind. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy