Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Here in my home town (Whittier, California) the city dictates what you can or can't do with your house (and the property is sits on) regardless of whether or not it has any historical value. And we're often subject to the whims and idiosyncrasies of the person who happens to be holding the position of "decision maker" at any given moment, so the "rules" that applied six months ago may or may not be applicable today if there's a different person holding that position. [huh]
I hope this person is elected by the people.

Referring to a pet's owners as its "parents." No, I'm not the father of my cats...
My wife and I occasionally refer to our female cat and male dog as our "daughter" and "son", but neither of us take it seriously.

I hope this person is elected by the people.
I have no idea. Of the many things I'm disinterested in, politics is up near the top of the list.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Dress down days.
Managers should look like managers. Could you really take a person in charge of a large company seriously dressed in holiday shorts and a Hawaiian shirt? Or worse, a football top(of any country).
I think I would go the opposite were I in that position and wear my best to out pose the top boss if I could

Daddy Cat. How cute. :p

I'm not sure I'd want Little Troublemaker for a "son." :p

1229974_207109629464703_1834297131_n.jpg

HudsonHawk,

One of the problems here is if you bought a house in the 'suburbs' 40 years ago the local metropolis has expanded to your doorstep and will now do what it can to keep expanding. If you bought a house forty years ago somewhere within that metropolis it is now rehabbing those older areas and will do what it can to keep on rehabbing.

I'm not saying it's not problematic, only that it's a byproduct of civilization.

Edward

Bartender
The photo above of the house sitting in the middle of the road was taken in China and depicts the result of what happened when the owner of the house refused to sell it to the government for a highway project. Sort of like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon. The Guardian article below has photos of several examples of what the Chinese call nail houses.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ga...homes-in-pictures#/?picture=399880690&index=0

Yes, it was indeed. Good call.

As far as the Chinese photographs, I find them interesting. In the U.S. for a highway they'd have you forcibly removed by police. I'm kind of surprised given China's reputation that they don't do the same.

They're a fun people, the Chinese... and not much good at doing what they don't want to do. A lot of the time that'll be akin to herding cats. The popular Western image of the Chinese as little drones doing what they are told at all times doesn't reflect reality, however much it might suit folks here to believe, for whatever reason they want to. Beijing recently introduced a ban on smoking indoors in public places. I've seen Chinese flip over the 'no smoking' sign to use as an ashtray.

Referring to a pet's owners as its "parents." No, I'm not the father of my cats...

Jinkies, yes. My mother is a nightmare for that.... she started when little brother moved out and got a cat. I'd hoped that when he produced actual human young that would be the end of it. Sadly, no. The look of contempt my cats give when she starts that "Nana" nonsense on the phone with them is priceless. They're my girls, but not my children. Hell, I don't want children, so why on earth would I want to treat an animal as a child substitute? I'm the Big Cat, and occasionally, if they're feeling kindly, they even give me the illusion of being in charge.

I'm not sure I'd want Little Troublemaker for a "son." :p

1229974_207109629464703_1834297131_n.jpg

Ha! There's trouble! Looks like a fun kitteh.

Dress down days.
Managers should look like managers. Could you really take a person in charge of a large company seriously dressed in holiday shorts and a Hawaiian shirt? Or worse, a football top(of any country).
I think I would go the opposite were I in that position and wear my best to out pose the top boss if I could

I'm well known in our department (and beyond) at the university for outdressing all comers - though it's far from deliberate, and has never been taken as any kind of subversive statement. I've got no objection to other people going casual where appropriate, but certainly it does affect my choice as a consumer. I can't imagine buying a suit from someone who never wore one (though that said I'm perfectly fine with the fact that many cutters and others involved in the tailoring process don't wear suits while they work - not realistic in their line of things).

I am instinctively suspicious of any grown man in short trousers; wouldn't do business with anyone who thought that was an appropriate way to dress for work unless they were a lifeguard or a surfing instructor or such.

I would never call my cat my "daughter." She prefers to be called "ma'am."

lol

Last edited:

I have two cocker spaniels, male and female. The male is a typical cocker...happy-go-lucky, playful, affectionate, eager to please and generally full of energy. The female is a princess. She won't even chase squirrels, and seems to have the attitude of "I can't imagine why, but if I ever feel that a squirrel needs to be chased, I'm sure there are people who will do it for me. Now rub my belly, peasant."

My wife and I occasionally refer to our female cat and male dog as our "daughter" and "son", but neither of us take it seriously.

I have no idea. Of the many things I'm disinterested in, politics is up near the top of the list.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.​
-Pericles (430 B.C.)
This is just one case. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Wow!

Yes, Pericles has been saying this since the early 1990's.

This appears to be yet another of those synthetic quotations which cannot be run down to its non-existent source

Considering the proper term for an adult female cat is "queen", perhaps she would prefer to be called "Your Majesty"? :p

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.​
-Pericles (430 B.C.)
This is just one case. :p
I had a case of Pericles once; the doctor gave me some ointment that cleared it right up.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dress down days.

One of the large supermarket chains here has gone black t-shirts and dark slacks for its employees; it's like buying food at a Goth party. In addition, one of my banks has casual Fridays and Saturdays, which has made me take an interest in BOA, since its employees dress professionally every day. Seriously, if I'm wearing a necktie and dress shirt, surely my male teller can, too, in his air-conditioned environment. Nordstrom Rack (I'm calling them out) now has its employees wear pants and lime green t-shirts, the better to see them when you're ready to check out. Ironic, considering that regular Nordstrom employees are expected to adhere to a strict dress code. (End of rant.)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Coffee.
Can anyone remember when you had the choice of four basic types? Black of white, with or without sugar, how the coffee was presented was usually pretty uniform, in a cup. Well, thats what we got in the UK. Now we get exaggerated cappuccino where half the drink is froth and Elvis or the Mona Lisa are depicted on the top. Skinny Latte's Mocha's and Flat whites are also there to confuse.
I never know what to ask for so ask for a white coffee with not a lot of froth. "Would that be a Cappuccino or Latte" would say the Cost a Fortune girl. "Errrrrr??????"

Wow!

Yes, Pericles has been saying this since the early 1990's.

This appears to be yet another of those synthetic quotations which cannot be run down to its non-existent source
That has been said in various ways since the beginning of politics. Do you deny the voracity of the claim or just its origin? In either case we can move on to: "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats