Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well that was a junk even way back when. lol lol

I knew someone that bought one.
Well her father did, along with a Pontiac STE at the same time.
He should have spent that on a Mercedes, which he bought after those two cars crapped out!
I rode in the Fiero once, and wasn't impressed.
GM and Mid Engine/Rear Engine just never worked out right. :D

I knew someone that bought one.
Well her father did, along with a Pontiac STE at the same time.
He should have spent that on a Mercedes, which he bought after those two cars crapped out!
I rode in the Fiero once, and wasn't impressed.
GM and Mid Engine/Rear Engine just never worked out right. :D

Like I said, junk from day one. :p The turning circle on those was crazy big. They handled like a truck but were super small with a junk interior in them. Plastic everywhere!

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
What if Yu isn't on duty when you need him to activate it?
Then you go with his cousin SOL, but he's never really reliable and most of the time you still end up with nothing. :D

From what I've seen on the 2014 Escapes (as I posted earlier), some safety features are great and we've made wonderful progress in that field. I think the new ones have at least 8 airbags(?), while my 2000 Jeep has 2. Then again if I roll it off-road, it can be pushed back over and will probably start and drive from that point.
What concerns me is the Bluetooth integration of the phone. While I've told each driver (that has the newer Escapes) they can use the BT function, I'd rather they NOT be on the phone while driving. Then again, it's hands free which is better in some ways, as long as they aren't using that free hand to type on the laptop! Unless they're parked of course. ;)
Some of the technology can be annoying though. Setting the clock in the new Escape becomes a challenge because of the steps you go through just to do it. In the older vehicles you just push the H on the radio.
Accident avoidance, traction control, abs...way too much computer if you ask me.

Trying to set the clock in our 2004 MPV is a baffling ordeal. We've settled on the clock being wrong half the year.

Trying to set the clock in our 2004 MPV is a baffling ordeal. We've settled on the clock being wrong half the year.

It is easy on my 2008. I have an analog clock and a digital. They are both easy to set. The analog type clock moves the hands when you press a button and the digital involves going into a set screen. It will normally reset itself for Spring and Fall on its own though.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Singing birthday cards.
Especially in the hands of a 3 year old.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

That is a pain I know well.

After having spent an afternoon in one of those holiday toy warehouses the promise Unbeatable Prices On Junk Your Kids Don't Need! I would be very pleased to see the end of toys that go dweepdweepbingbingbingskreeeeeBONG.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Probably just as annoying as a hyperactive child, pulling a toy telephone around by the cord, that went "ding" every time the wheels turned.
Or a toy duck that had an awful quack, every time the wheels turned.
I'd have to ask my mom how annoying that was because I was that kid. :D

Yeah, those singing cards are about as fun as Billy The Big Mouth Bass.
Either the regular or Christmas edition.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I won't miss recorded voice, then make you toggle through multiple menus before being told no one can help you answering systems used by so many businesses today. Give me a live person, please.

They may never go away, if current trends continue as they have been.

I won't miss recorded voice, then make you toggle through multiple menus before being told no one can help you answering systems used by so many businesses today. Give me a live person, please.

They may never go away, if current trends continue as they have been.
This website might alleviate some of those frustrations for the time being: Dial A Human - Direct to Human Phone Numbers.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Probably just as annoying as a hyperactive child, pulling a toy telephone around by the cord, that went "ding" every time the wheels turned.
Or a toy duck that had an awful quack, every time the wheels turned.
I'd have to ask my mom how annoying that was because I was that kid. :D

Yeah, those singing cards are about as fun as Billy The Big Mouth Bass.
Either the regular or Christmas edition.

My husband comes from a very large family, and frequently they buy the children Christmas gifts without having a clear idea of what is already in the house. This is how we came to be in possession of two plastic dogs on wheels that bark at roughly 1800 decibels when the string is pulled. I have strategically buried them at the bottom of toy chests, and they will quietly make their way into a donation bag someday soon.

That said, they're infinitely preferable to the toy monkey that rolled about and laughed like a serial killer any time a person walked by it. THAT ended up stuffed behind a couch exactly long enough for my daughter to forget about it, and then was tossed in the garbage.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My husband comes from a very large family, and frequently they buy the children Christmas gifts without having a clear idea of what is already in the house. This is how we came to be in possession of two plastic dogs on wheels that bark at roughly 1800 decibels when the string is pulled. I have strategically buried them at the bottom of toy chests, and they will quietly make their way into a donation bag someday soon.

That said, they're infinitely preferable to the toy monkey that rolled about and laughed like a serial killer any time a person walked by it. THAT ended up stuffed behind a couch exactly long enough for my daughter to forget about it, and then was tossed in the garbage.

This wasn't the one with the cymbals was it?
I can't be around one of those now that I've seen Merlins Magical Shop of Wonders, the MST3K version of course.
Had one of those in the movie, and I just can't stand them now.

Ha!
I think we may have had that same monkey when my oldest was little.
Our policy is that if Grandma buys anything like that for Christmas it gets to stay at Grandmas house, so they can have something to play with when they go there. It took a little bit, but it definately has cut down on a lot of that crap.

Gregg, we (I) have one of those old cymbal playing monkeys. Often a trip down from the top of the closet by him is enough to correct any bad behavior going on.;)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The gift card.
I know this was probably mentioned before.
No unwrapping of gifts, no bows stuck to the dog, or someone's forehead, etc.
And in the past 6-7yrs at one relative's house, Christmas is over in 15 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy