Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats the closest thing to Traveling back in Time? to get a feel of times past?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
awf6rt.jpg

When the weather gets too yucky to drive my 46 ...

Last edited:

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I like to put on some 1930s/40s jazz and go into the garage working on my 38 Chevrolet or put on some 1920s thru 30s period movies , revisit my vintage clothing wardrobe collection and maybe shine my Stacy Adams boots.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I put on Chad & Jeremy's "A Summer Song," and sit with my eyes closed and I'm 17 years old again, it's late summer of 1964, the school year is about to start, and I'm driving through Richardson, Texas, and it's raining.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I put on Chad & Jeremy's "A Summer Song," and sit with my eyes closed and I'm 17 years old again, it's late summer of 1964, the school year is about to start, and I'm driving through Richardson, Texas, and it's raining.
Carnaby Street, London, 1964. Christmas preparations. I was 18, caught up in the Mod scene and listened to the popular music charts to see if I could spot a future: "No. 1"
carnaby street 1964.jpg
It was in the early sixties that the miniskirt really caught on. It brought indignation from some quarters of society. Not without justification. Imagine if she was your daughter, splashed all over the tabloids.
Mini skirts.jpg

⇧ no one told her she couldn't wear underwear with her miniskirt.

A book that always take me to its time period is "The Last Convertible" by Anton Myrer. Far from great literature, it is an enjoyable page turner that is, for me, very evocative of the '30s, '40s and (later in) '50s. It overlaps with my Dad's timeline and feels very similar to the things he and his mother used to talk about / the way they saw the world / the cultural norms they had. Even more than some contemporaneous books of the period, "The Last Convertible" has a very time travel feel for me.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I just have to step out of my front door & happen upon some of the locals & I'm swished back in time to when Neanderthals walked the Earth.
And they are not unique to your neck of the wood either. I've just seen an older guy trying to park his car in the supermarket car park. He had chosen the toddler and child bay, despite being alone, eight attempts later, at reversing in, he got out, saw that his car looked more abandoned than parked, and so got back in to start shunting backwards and forwards. I left him to it.

Edward

Bartender
Old films/TV, music, or just take myself somewhere that hasn't changed much since then, especially on a quit afternoon - certain teahouses, pubs, parks, Claridges' cigar bar, Oakley Court Hotel....

GHT

I'll Lock Up
⇧ no one told her she couldn't wear underwear with her miniskirt.
Shows you how much I know. For years I wondered what the acronym VPL meant. Then one day some female journalist was going on about visible pantie line, that's when the light went on. Give me time.
I take a ride in my 1975 MGB.
If you type Vintage Cars into the Lounge search box, then tick titles only you will see an array of threads about old cars. Likewise the title Classic Cars will bring up yet more threads. But nobody would object to seeing your MGB on this thread.

Shows you how much I know. For years I wondered what the acronym VPL meant. Then one day some female journalist was going on about visible pantie line, that's when the light went on. Give me time....

When faced with the choice of VPLs (like you, a new initialization to this 52 year old) or your butt hanging out for all the world to see, methinks the choice would be obvious, but clearly the young lady in the photo in question had a different decisioning process.

As I've explained to many young women in my circle, minimizing VPL is why you wear a slip. And then I explain what a slip is.

In anything other than a world turned upside down, the answer to "how do I avoid panty lines" is not "don't wear panties."

Just like the answer to "how do I avoid braking too hard and flying over the handle bars" is not "take the brakes off the bicycle altogether."

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
watching old movies is another way I like to "get in the zone". Did anybody hear about those "time warp" people who painstakingly recreated 1930s and 1940s homes (and wear all vintage clothing) in the UK? Why isn't that done in America?? I wanna do that!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re the "VPL" discussion above, Tony Roberts used the term in Annie Hall back in 1977 as Alvy Singer's best friend Max. Since that film is a beloved Best Picture winner (*) and probably Woody Allen's most popular film, it's not exactly an obscure term.

(* Except for the "Star Wars was robbed!" contingent... who are mostly too young to understand that despite the film's financial success, SW was still considered action-flick junk by the film industry in 1977, not "an all-time classic".)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21