Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats the name/type of this hat?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
cffb3aadab7c250d50f305ab43e62f9a.png

The Phoenix Hat Company Custom. I’d bet more curl is possible if that’s what’s wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that’s a outfrigginstanding hat!!
The best of all worlds....my fav kinda color combo...my fav all the above!!
B

It looks to be nominally wider than what is the common range of fedoras, but I’d say no more than 3.25 inches before the pencil curl. That is if we are still speaking of this hat:

e3d9acadf6b668703153c5d0c3f85e0a.png

Reactions: RJR
I realize this is far from precise, but I know the brim width on my Bluegrass Green Campdraft is 2-3/4" because I've measured it. So I superimposed it over Depp's hat and adjusted the scale so the sides of the crowns lined up:

Anf70hm.jpg

Taking this crude method, the different angles, and the flanged brim on the Campdraft into consideration, I'd say the brim on Depp's hat in that photo is no wider than 3" between the crown and the curl; maybe a bit less.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the length of the entire brim, including the curled part. The kettle curl on my Boss Raw Edge, for example, gives the visual appearance of about 3.5", but if you unrolled the felt and measured it, the brim is cut to 4".

It's more than 3", because it is surely wider than my BSHW lid, which is 3". That curl looks like it takes up about half an inch, which is why I guesstimated at 3.5" (also, that's what Justin's hat that I posted earlier was, and they look fairly similar). I kept the higher end of the estimate because the fact that he's wearing the hat over a bandana could be throwing off my sense of proportions because the hat is probably a size larger than one might wear without a bandana.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the length of the entire brim, including the curled part. The kettle curl on my Boss Raw Edge, for example, gives the visual appearance of about 3.5", but if you unrolled the felt and measured it, the brim is cut to 4".

It's more than 3", because it is surely wider than my BSHW lid, which is 3". That curl looks like it takes up about half an inch, which is why I guesstimated at 3.5" (also, that's what Justin's hat that I posted earlier was, and they look fairly similar). I kept the higher end of the estimate because the fact that he's wearing the hat over a bandana could be throwing off my sense of proportions because the hat is probably a size larger than one might wear without a bandana.

The photo of the Phoenix Hat I included earlier is 3.25” before the curl and 3.0” with the curl. The hat in question has more curl to the brim but to my eye the finished brim looks to be no more than 3.0” and maybe a bit less. Fun to speculate, but without seeing and measuring the hats all we can do is guess.

I realize this is far from precise, but I know the brim width on my Bluegrass Green Campdraft is 2-3/4" because I've measured it. So I superimposed it over Depp's hat and adjusted the scale so the sides of the crowns lined up:

Anf70hm.jpg

Taking this crude method, the different angles, and the flanged brim on the Campdraft into consideration, I'd say the brim on Depp's hat in that photo is no wider than 3" between the crown and the curl; maybe a bit less.

I wish I had some semblance of computer skills. Thanks for the interesting contribution.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The photo of the Phoenix Hat I included earlier is 3.25” before the curl and 3.0” with the curl. The hat in question has more curl to the brim but to my eye the finished brim looks to be no more than 3.0” and maybe a bit less. Fun to speculate, but without seeing and measuring the hats all we can do is guess.

In any event, @Seelsk is certainly set with some good ballpark specs, which is the point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko