Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the reed for?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
What's the reed for?

As a LongOval/Extra-LongOval, I haven't had much love for the reed and would prefer that hats didn't have them. What is the reason for this component of hats?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
All the reeded sweats I have ever handled had only a vinyl tape strip folded over a solid plastic monofilament. The vinyl cloth backed tape ws in turn sewed to the leather sweatband and then the tape was stitched to the felt just at or a little above where the brim was flanged. The monofilament ends were joined by a small tube (ferrule) at the rear where the sweatband ends were sewn together. I bought some unbranded, cut to size sweats where the monofilament and ferrule were packaged loose since the monfilament was cut down to the correct length after you sized the sweat to the hat. To further complicate this issue, I have wondered if the hats with a vinyl or oil cloth layer to reduce oil migration but no monofilment to promote shape would be considered to be reeded?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy