Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with Ralph Lauren these days?

nulty

One of the Regulars
It does come down to cost. A person like myself for whom custom is out of the questionm has to get by in anyway he can or fall prey to the normalcy and mendacity around him. If I refuse to be a ball cap columbia sportwear type then I need to to work at it ( not that there's anything wrong in that)..

RL is my main target nowadays in the thrift shops.

The two most salient points I have read here is the panic at RL to lose the 20 something crowd and the fact that RL's philosophy is to design the fashion of the moment but maintain the classic style at it's core..
The 20 something cohort is desired by all marketers but this present bunch seems to me to be looking back at the 80's for alot of fashion influence...

And what other martket trends decide today's fashion to the point RL feels he has to change?

Remember the 2 TV shows about WWII back in the 90's..one was homefront and I don't remember the other one...Golden era right in our living rooms 50 yeras later..where 'd that go....RL was into it then so why not now?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Of course, you can always have a suit custom made cheaply via long distance tailors in Thailand or Nepal ... but you risk having them mess it up.

Or you can take a trip to Egypt. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(photos) Ralph Lauren vintage styled pants

Nice heavy cotton herringbone weave with inch-&-half cuff. Sit nice and high above the hips. I wore them when I met Matt Deckard for the first time in London at the hotel and he seemed to like them!

RalphLaurenPants009.jpg

RalphLaurenPants008.jpg

RalphLaurenPants007.jpg

RalphLaurenPants004.jpg

RalphLaurenPants005.jpg

RalphLaurenPants003.jpg

RalphLaurenPants001.jpg

RalphLaurenPants006.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
In all fairness, I like some of the offerings of Ralph Lauren Purple Label. I don't like the belt loops on the three piece suits, however. That's incorrect, especially given that they call them "Savile Row" suits and tailors there would advise against belt loops. As well, the trousers can be a bit too low rise for wearing a waistcoat, but as I've said before this could just be the style used for photoshoots or runway. They almost got everything right with the recent dinner jacket, but it has double vents in the back. Big mistake.

Now, I am quite taken with their double breasteds and some of the safer offerings, and Charlie Rose seems to like them a lot too. (He's wearing one of their DB chalkstriped dealies almost every night on the show. Check the credits and you'll see his wardrobe is indeed by them.)

So, overall, they're doing some things right, and others not so right. I really do hope they take the constructive criticism in this thread if they're reading.

Jovan said:
Now, I am quite taken with their double breasteds and some of the safer offerings, and Charlie Rose seems to like them a lot too. (He's wearing one of their DB chalkstriped dealies almost every night on the show. Check the credits and you'll see his wardrobe is indeed by them.)

The difference is that he is likely either getting them comp or the suits are being paid for by his show---not him. We have to pay out of our own pockets. That would make a big difference to me. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Jovan

Suspended
A public television network is paying for them? :rolleyes: I find that somewhat hard to believe. In any case, I've seen a few pictures of him outside the show wearing RLPL as well, so he obviously likes it a bit. What do you mean by "comp"?

Jovan said:
A public television network is paying for them? :rolleyes: I find that somewhat hard to believe. In any case, I've seen a few pictures of him outside the show wearing RLPL as well, so he obviously likes it a bit. What do you mean by "comp"?

You might be surprised who pays for what in PBS.
Comp means complimentary---provided free by the manufacturer in order to get free TV exposure. Likely that is the case if they put the name in the credits. Just like "Chuck Woolerys clothing provided by Botany 500.";)

Regards,

J

Jovan

Suspended
Hmm. Maybe I should become an award winning journalist so I too can wear RLPL complimentary.

In any case, I've always found him a natty dresser. Always great choices in shirt and tie, and well groomed.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not your average PBS show

jamespowers said:
You might be surprised who pays for what in PBS.
Charley Rose is funded by Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Cisco Systems, and DLJ direct......along with a half dozen major foundations. It's produced by Bloomberg Television and Thirteen/WNET New York.

And, his suits are definitely comped.

Tomasso said:
Charley Rose is funded by Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Cisco Systems, and DLJ direct......along with a half dozen major foundations. It's produced by Bloomberg Television and Thirteen/WNET New York.

And, his suits are definitely comped.

You forgot Coca Cola. Gee, kind of sounds like regular commercial television to me. :eusa_doh: :p

Regards,

J

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Wait a minute!

Let me try to redirect this discussion. I think my original question and the premise behind it has been widely misunderstood. First, it really doesn't matter whether FLers can afford Ralph Lauren's products or not. No more than it matters whether the staff of Car and Driver magazine can afford a Ferrari when they start criticizing that company's latest offerings. Selling price isn't the issue. What matters is whether we, as an informed and collective group, should be offering our advice to the manufacturers of the products we like (and Ralph is only one of many) and how to do it (a forum in Classic Style magazine comes to my mind).

Let me give you another example of what I mean: You only have to spend a short time in the Fedora Lounge to realize that Art Fawcett is a pretty well-respected, and revered, character here. Agreed? But can everyone in the Fedora Lounge afford A VS Custom hat? Who cares? Why do many of us routinely bypass other sources for our hats, even those offering hats for considerably less money, in order to do business with Mr. Fawcett and other high-end retailers such as Optimo in Chicago? Because they care enough to get the details we want right, that's why--high vintage-styled crowns, reverse tapering, wider vintage ribbon, etc.

Now, back to Ralph Lauren. I go into the local Polo factory store yesterday and, lo and behold, on the rack in front of me are trousers that any FLer would kill for--high-waisted, belt back with a distinctive V cut, button fly, beautiful heavy tweed fabrics in both a plaid and multi-color tic weave. Regular retail price of $145 marked down to $19.99! Can you guys afford $19.99? The only problem is you would have to have the physique of Humpty Dumpty to fit into them. I am a 36/32 and the knee on my size was less than 8 inches wide, for Christ's sake! Gee, Ralph, maybe next time complete the "look" and add a little more fabric in the leg...OK, now you gotta' get $165 at retail and they ultimately close-out for $39.99...but at least someone can fit into them, you doofus! Wake up! :eusa_doh:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
luvthatlulu said:
...it really doesn't matter whether FLers can afford Ralph Lauren's products or not. ...What matters is whether we, as an informed and collective group, should be offering our advice to the manufacturers of the products we like ...

Why on earth would (or should) Ralph Lauren accept the advice of any "informed and collective group" that might not be able or willing to afford RL's products, especially at full price? What's in it for RL? Isn't it in his best interest to cater to those who CAN and DO buy his products at full price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic