Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your best beauty/household tip?

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I thought this would be a very useful thread. I'm thinking along the lines of vintage filmstar kind of beauty tips rather than actual product recommendations.
I'll start off with a few tips I can think of ...

* For an extra-alluring cleavage, moisten a small cotton ball with you favourite perfume and place it inside your bra. (I actually read this in Helen Gurley Browns 'Sex and the Single Girl', 1961. Helen recommends 'Ma Griffe' ;) )

debauchery.gif

* When you're feeling worn-out and sallow-skinned, take a short nap with your legs placed vertically up against a wall. This will bring blood to your head and improve your complexion.

* Household tip for vegetarians: Use Marmite to spice up food. A teaspoon of Marmite in vegetable casseroles, bean loafs, pat?©s etc. adds that 'umami' taste that's hard to achieve in vegetable dishes.

I'm looking forward to reading your tips! :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Reading your first tips reminded me of something I figured out on my own while pregnant. When felling worn out I would lay on the ground on my back and lay my legs on the bed, it would help my back and restore energy. I figure this would also help anyone with back probs, I've just never remembered to try this when my back has acted up because usually I have been too buzy working.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Just a Gentle Nudge...

Can we keep this thread to 'beauty' tips...and if folks have 'household' ones, we can start a thread over in "the golden era' for them!

That way later on folks can find the household stuff they want, without going through cold creme ideas...etc.

Thanks!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
according to my yoga instructor, 15 minutes of lying on your back with your legs up the wall is equivalent to a 3-hour nap, to your body :)

2 more, according to her/yoga:

giving yourself a mini foot massage when you're particularly tired or grumpy can really energize you.

tapping on your thymus helps repel illness and energizes you.

these are more like health tips, but health = beauty!

here's another one... for the sunny seasons, switch from your regular lotion and facial moisturizer to ones containing an SPF. i've found that i am much more likely to use it everyday than to put on sunblock separately. even though it's a lower SPF, i've gotten significantly less burn/tan than i usually have by this time of year because i'm using it more!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Funny, I started a thread like this in one of the Myspace groups I'm on and was thinking of starting it here too. You beat me to it!

* To help hide a zit, soak a Q-Tip in anti-redness eyedrops and hold it to the zit (I usually do 30 seconds or more). This will help shrink the capillaries to reduce redness, and combined with concealer, works pretty well for hiding that nasty red bump. You may not see immediate results but after a few minutes, you should notice less redness.

* If you have anti-static spray like Static-Guard, you can spray a bit on your hair (or hairbrush) to help prevent fly-aways. You can also use fabric-softener sheets to tame static in both hair and clothes.

* If you don't have time to wash your hair and have oily sections that need to be cleaned, use cornstarch or talcum powder (I think cornstarch works better). Sprinkle cornstarch on a regular bristled brush (natural bristles work best) and brush it through the oily sections of hair. You may have to repeat a few times, but it will definitely help absorb extra oil to make your hair look fresh. Translucent face powder can also be used.

* You can mix oatmeal and cleansing cream to make a nice body exfoliant.
---

These are more household, but I'm still putting them here:

* Use facial cleansing wipes (the Biore ones are good, the sudsing ones are not) for cleaning deodorant or makeup off of clothing. I think they work better than stain removal wipes, which have always left rings on my clothing, and the cleansing wipes are gentler.

And one I got from someone else:

* "For deoderant stains on you clothes try this too - get an old nylon/pair of pantyhose and fub back and forth briskly over the deoderant mark - works like a charm for me every time"

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you spend a lot of time in your car, keep sunscreen in the glove box or the cupholders. Even if you don't want to apply it over your makeup, put it on to protect your hands!

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Avoid suntanning!
You will appreciate this simple tip as you age. :)

Sounds like the lyrics to "Everybody is free to wear sunscreen"

Which I love... So I'm posting them here... Lots of great tips:

Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term
benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis or
reliable then my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice....now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, nevermind, you won't understand the power and
beauty of your youth until they've faded, but trust me in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of
yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous
you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra
equation by chewing bubblegum.

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that blindsides
you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is
long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults. (if you succeed in doing this, tell me how).

Keep your old love letters; throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people
I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of Calcium. Be kind to your knees -- you'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll
divorce at 40; maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary.

Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either. Your choices are half
chance, so are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body: use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it; it's the
greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have no where to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions (even if you don't follow them).

Do not read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents; you never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings: they're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in
the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but what a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps
and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you
were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old; and when you
do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children
respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse,
but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you are 40, it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia;
dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and
recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me, on the sunscreen.

Very Wise Advice. I actually consider many of these in my life. I was thinking of the best parts but most of it is good. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
A couple random ones

If you have hard water (water with a lot of minerals in it) which dulls your hair or leaves it with a sticky feeling, use a vinegar rinse between your shampoo and conditioner. Just rinse it out well or you'll smell like an Easter egg.

I've also heard that a cider vinegar rinse will bring out your red highlights, but I'm not sure how true that is.

When putting on your makeup, put a dot of concealer or foundation just above the spot between the corner of your eye and your nose and blend well. You will be amazed how it opens up your eyes, especially if you tend to have dark circles.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've done that with concealer; it looks good.

You can sprinkle some baking soda in your shampoo to get all the goop out of your hair (gel, pomade, etc.). Better not to combine that with the vinegar, though. ;)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
My at-home necessities are vinegar (check it out! http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html), baking soda, sea salt, lemon juice and essential oils (mostly lavendar and tea tree). I never, EVER use mainstream cleaning products in my house, and the natural brands tend to be so expensive (though lovely, I must say). The above ingredients, in various combinations, work wonders for all my cleaning (and occasionally beauty) needs.

I mix some vinegar with my shampoo every now and then to clarify my hair and make it soft and glossy. I dot blemishes with either apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil or lavender oil.

Lavender and tea tree both have antibacterial properties, which is why I'll often add a few drops to my cleaning solutions, to sanitize without using anything creepy like triclosan (bad news).

In general, I avoid antibacterial hand soaps. It has been proven that the act of washing alone is AS effective as using an antibacterial soap; furthermore, bacteria DOES develop resistance to antibacterial products, creating "superbugs" (yes, that's the actual term). Such products are bad for the environment.

Triclosan, in combination with water, actually creates chloroform gas. Sunlight can turn it into dioxin, a carcinogen. It is a toxic substance, and is in many brands of toothpaste, soaps, cleansers, deodorants, cosmetics, etc. Triclosan is even considered a pesticide by the EPA. I recommend checking products for this ingredient.

If I'm particularly worried about sanitizing my house, I use "Thieves" (http://www.webdeb.com/oils/cleaner.htm), which is based on the oils and spices Medieval thieves used on their hands to rob dead/dying Plague victims. I brought the small spray bottle of it to India with me two weeks ago, as well as the oral lozenges, and I was the only person in my traveling group who didn't get sick. Hmm...

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I often think about how if I were to have children, I'd teach them a ton of tips about being resourceful. My Mother was always big on advising us to, 'Be resourceful.' and it has served me *beyond well* in my life.

Now, particularly about beauty... not always the most glamourous tips, but when you are on-the-go all the time and have to make do, you can get pretty crafty...

* Blush can double as eye shadow.

* Eyeliner can double as lip liner so long as you know how to blend.

* Brown lip liner can be eyeliner.

* Lipstick doubles as rouge.

* Mascara run gently over brows doubles as brow pencil/filler.

* Need a quick refresher during the day and short on supplies? Head to the nearest beauty counter and ask to try items. Same with perfume!

* Hem catches and comes down at an in-opportune time? Two-sided tape, or worst-case scenario: stapler.

* No bra for that strapless/backless dress?? Medical tape.

* Corn starch doubles as powder (helpful when you work in a restaurant).

* Olive Oil doubles as lotion (" " " " ").

* An eraser from an end of a pencil makes a great earring backing if your's becomes lost.

And always, always carry enough for cab fare.

Elaina

One Too Many
-To avoid build up of grime under the nails when doing something dirty, run nails over a bar of soap. Nails come out clean.

-To whiten yellow nails or those stained by nail polish soak in 50/50 solution of peroxide/water, insert nails into half of a lemon (I don't know if it works. I'm allergic to citric acid) or use denture cleaners of whitening toothpaste. Scrub with nail brush,clean hands and apply lotion.

-After washing face, splash with cold water to minimize redness, pores and zits.

-When applying lip liner, and filling out thin lips, draw JUST to the outside of the natural lip line. Going excessive screams you draw your lips on. Same applies to filling eyebrows. (and yes, I draw my lips and eye brows on, otherwise I wouldn't have any.) On that note, going a shade lighter is more youthful then a shade darker , and is much easier to blend or appear natural.

-Dandruff shapooo to harsh? Rinse hair in apple cider vinegar or beer and it will add gloss and shine too (I don't know about the red highlights).

-Out of color correcting concealer? No problem...use the liquid in the lid of your bottle with the color eyeshadow you need to do the trick. Yellow dark circles, blue or green for redness. It's the right color/consistency to act as a concealer. Always apply the colored concealers first no matter what kind of makeup you war. If you have non-color concealer already: if using a liquid, apply that after you apply the foundation, of a powder..apply first.

-Ice in cloths applied to the eyes reduce puffiness and redness.

-Always shop with someone who will indeed tell you you look fat in that.

-Apply lipstick with a brush.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
beaucaillou said:
* Hem catches and comes down at an in-opportune time? Two-sided tape, or worst-case scenario: stapler.

I must confess to doing this to a pair of trousers the other week!

Thankfully they had a pattern to them and I just aligned the staples with the pattern so you couldnt really spot them.

Worked perfectly, and entertained my coworker for ages with it all.

GirlAnachronism

New in Town
Elaina said:
-Always shop with someone who will indeed tell you you look fat in that.
I completely agree. Since most of my shopping is online from -Japanese- couture brands (Yay, expensive Victorian-styled clothing with enough frills to put even the most girly two year old off!) I photoshop the outfit I want onto a photo of my body. Weird, yes, but it works and you'll find out if it makes your head look weird or if the color is bad or if your hair just doesn't work with it. :D
So that's my tip. XD
Also:
SHIRRING IS A BIG NO-NO FOR BUSTIER GIRLS. You may be able to SQUEEZE yourself into that shirred BABY, THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT jsk but that does not mean it suits you. ;_;
... That will really only make sense to those who are into Lolita fashion but hey, it's good to know. >.>

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Instead of going for a high-SPF sunscreen, pick a lower SPF and reapply often. The lower SPF sunscreens don't absorb as much into your skin.

If you are somehow in a position where you're unable to reapply lipstick during the day, try lipstain with lip balm over it -- lasts all day. I've actually woken up in the morning with my lips still bright red!

When you do your hair, bounce and twirl around a bunch to make sure your hair won't fall out the second you walk out the door.

Don't wear makeup unless you really neeeeed it. Letting your skin breathe every now and then keeps your complexion nice. Also keep your nails unpainted for a day between applications.

Eat lots of leafy greens -- among the infinite health benefits of such vegetables, they're amazing for your skin.

When you feel beautiful, the world always takes notice.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
This one is a bit more on the health side, but still a goodie.

Wear your sunglasses!
My optomotrist told me that one of the more common problems that he is seeing now is macular degeneration. It is caused by sun exposure, causes vision imparment and can lead to blindness. As of right now there is no cure, or even much in the way of effective treatment. So wear those sunglasses girls!

Or if you wear corrective lenses, ask your eyecare professional about poly-carbonate lenses. They are lighter than glass, more scratch resistant than plastic, and as I understand it, without an extra coating, still block a significant amount of UVA and UVB rays! They are a bit pricier, but I think worth every penny!

Elaina

One Too Many
GirlAnachronism said:
I completely agree. Since most of my shopping is online from -Japanese- couture brands (Yay, expensive Victorian-styled clothing with enough frills to put even the most girly two year old off!) I photoshop the outfit I want onto a photo of my body. Weird, yes, but it works and you'll find out if it makes your head look weird or if the color is bad or if your hair just doesn't work with it. :D
So that's my tip. XD
Also:
SHIRRING IS A BIG NO-NO FOR BUSTIER GIRLS. You may be able to SQUEEZE yourself into that shirred BABY, THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT jsk but that does not mean it suits you. ;_;
... That will really only make sense to those who are into Lolita fashion but hey, it's good to know. >.>

I knew about the shirring, but only because I've been trying to figure out how I can get this shirt I adore to look right on me without the shirring.

Usually I go to places where I know the service people will tell me it's off, like Dillard's, but I haven't bought anything in so long, I just ask the crazy homeless guy I give coffee to if it would look ok. (I'd feel really bad and strange about that, but the man was a Parson's graduate with issues.) I should try photoshoping but I take exception to my looks, so the homeless guy it is.

(Hey I knew what you meant before you said Lolita. I got the Alice in Wonderland look going last I went to the clubs.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner