Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your best beauty/household tip?

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
When shaving legs, I always use hair conditioner in stead of expensive, foul smelling shaving creams.

I do this too. It leaves your legs SO soft.
I also do the coffee grouds-scrub thing. I've always used them on my hands and I must say, they look pretty good (for an old broad!) :)
I use thick cocoa butter for body moisturizing. It's dirt cheap and I'm told I have the softest skin, so there you go.
I always sweep a little blush above my eyes, right under the eyebrows. It makes you look really awake and fresh.
Probably everyone in the world knew this but me, but put on any concealer you need after your foundation. It stays longer and looks better. I was doing it the other way around and wondered why it wasn't holding up. D'oh! I read in a magazine to do it afterwards and tried it. It really makes a difference.

R

Red_Lipstick

Nose blackheads....

Can I ask your resourceful girls a favour? Does anyone have a tip for nose blackheads? I wash my face with Clinique anti-bacterial soap, use toner and try not to touch my face with dirty hands... but the blackheads stay >.<

Josephine

One Too Many
Red_Lipstick said:
Can I ask your resourceful girls a favour? Does anyone have a tip for nose blackheads? I wash my face with Clinique anti-bacterial soap, use toner and try not to touch my face with dirty hands... but the blackheads stay >.<

Oil Cleansing Method and aspirin masks. Sometimes baking soda scrubs too.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I don't have nose blackheads, thanks to those methods above, but I do still have large pores there, my mother did too it seems to be a family trait. apparently you can't change your pore size, so the best thing for me seems to be cold cream in the evning (no moisturisr afterwards), cold water splashed on the face every morning, weekly baking soda scrubs and a little vanishing cream before applying my make up.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Red_Lipstick said:

When I was younger I had those too, but they disappeared when I got out of my teens. I used those nose strips you put on, they get sticky and you take them off and they pull out blackheads. They're fun to use because you can see all the blackheads sticking up from the paper afterwards. :D

I used the ones from Elizabeth Arden, I think it worked well. It might also be something about your diet or hormonal, as was the case with me. They might just go away by themselves, I don't know how old you are? But try those strips. :)

41B8SDQ9MML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
what is a "vanishing" cream. i've heard of them, did not know however that they still exist. how are they different from my regular moisturizers?

R

Red_Lipstick

Laura Chase said:
They might just go away by themselves, I don't know how old you are? But try those strips. :)

Unfortunately I'm 26 so I think I'm condemned to adult acne and blackheads >.<

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them all! :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Red_Lipstick said:
Unfortunately I'm 26 so I think I'm condemned to adult acne and blackheads >.<

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them all! :)

Try going to a good skin clinic and see what they can do, they are usually good at squeezing them out! ;)

But to be honest, I really don't believe in exogenous treatment for acne and blackheads. You can usually make it look better for a little while by deep cleansing, scrubbing, using those strips, but they keep returning until you get to the root of the problem, and usually it's something hormonal or something about one's diet. When I've had skin problems I've also had luck with changing my birth control pills. My problem being hormonal, I needed some pills that had anti-androgens. I used these for 9 months and this really helped clean up my skin in my teens. I don't know if you think your problem is serious enough to consult a doctor, though. :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
PS said:
what is a "vanishing" cream. i've heard of them, did not know however that they still exist. how are they different from my regular moisturizers?

ahh, well i found it in a health food shop, strangely enough. but its Pond's. Its like a very thick powdery cream, not a moisturiser at all. It just stops shine and evens out pores.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
Try going to a good skin clinic and see what they can do, they are usually good at squeezing them out! ;)

But to be honest, I really don't believe in exogenous treatment for acne and blackheads. You can usually make it look better for a little while by deep cleansing, scrubbing, using those strips, but they keep returning until you get to the root of the problem, and usually it's something hormonal or something about one's diet. When I've had skin problems I've also had luck with changing my birth control pills. My problem being hormonal, I needed some pills that had anti-androgens. I used these for 9 months and this really helped clean up my skin in my teens. I don't know if you think your problem is serious enough to consult a doctor, though. :)

I've got that hormonal problem too, unfortunately I've had acne since middle school, and about two years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, which is a major factor in my less than perfect complexion. some women have luck with birth control pills, even antibiotics can help clear up the bacteria in the skin at a low dose. heck I've tried nearly everything and nothing works for me. I'm happy if I wake up with no new blemishes. your diet really affects the way your skin looks too. you could always try the dermatologist and a nutritionist to find out if there's something you could do besides pills and creams and harsh exfoliants.

I did try proactiv for a while, it helped... my skin wasn't completely cleared up, but I did notice a major difference. it's a bit pricey, but if you ration it just right it, it goes a long way.

oh, and to go along with the thread...
though it doesn't taste the best, peroxide mouth rinse. it's a cheap way to keep your pearly whites looking, well... like pearly whites! :) (I'm sure this has been posted before, it's a pretty common beauty trick, and lest expensive than those strips and gunky fitted trays)

Tatum

Practically Family
I feel compelled to reply to the blackheads/acne discussion! I have Rosacea, which according to my dermatologist is a fancy name for adult acne. I get blackheads, regular zits, and (the worst, by far) broken capillaries in my cheeks. To complicate things, I have combination skin! So in some spots it's super-greasy, others dry as the Mojave.

I've tried everything other than laser (that will be when I can afford it, and that will only take care of the rosy cheeks), and what I have found works the best is a good light exfoliating scrub before bed, a clearing moisturizer (like Clean & Clear, but I find the Target stuff works better!), and in the morning, an oily skin cleanser followed up with the moisturizer again.

Also, for some reason, it seems to clear up in the summer when I get tan (I know, I know!) and spend more time in the ocean. I think it's the saltwater, but I can't prove it!

In the meantime, I revel in the fact that I never need blush :rolleyes:

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Olive oil/ sugar scrub is the best for that grey and dry winter skin. Mix half a cup of white sugar with enough oliveoil ( don't use the frying oil, you will smell like frnch fries) to make it creamy, rub on and massage on damp skin, wash off. Do this before you clean your bathroom 'cause you are going to make a mess. But it works wonders!

Lorena B

Practically Family
when your mascara is almost finished, add a bit of olive oil (just a drop) and it will make it last a bit longer.

Also i remember reading and trying this tip and HELLOOOOO its GREAT.

The juice of a melon, use it in the morning as facial cream (sounds horrible but..) after 40 min rinse it and your skin will look as great as if you were wearing some sort of natural looking fundation.
Also, this one you really cant abuse of, if you have some yellish teeth, brush your teeth with some lemon juice drops in your teethbrush, will bleach them nicely but as i said, do not abuse of this cos the citric acid can weaken your teeth.
I am spanish and this is a very popular tip for when you dont have facial cream, use olive oil, it is a fact that it does help to keep your sking young as it has lots of nutrients, but if in your case you have greasy skin you could use yoghurt as a mask.

For a nutritive mask you can use egg yolk .

Also for the whites, they are really handy for when you dont have hair spray (yes, it sounds yuckkkkk:eek: , but i have tried and worked)

Bubble Cheeks

New in Town
I don't purchase blush anymore. I use my lipstick. When I am out, and in the powder room, after washing my hands I "pink-up my cheeks". I touch my middle fingertips to my lips lightly, letting them get slightly stained red. Then I gently rub them on the apples of my cheeks as I smile. And voila. My cheeks are pink again! I touch them up this wall all through the day. I figure... my face is almost all cheeks... might as well keep them looking their best! And I find that this looks way better on me than any shade of blush I have ever purchased. Ever.

swinggal

One Too Many
My best 'household tip is this'. Whenever you open crackers, chips or corn chips and don't finish them, store them in the fridge - NOT the cupboard. They NEVER go stale this way!! People don't seem to believe me until they try it! There is no moisture in the air of a fridge and they all stay crisp. You don't even need to put them in a container - just leave them in their original packet.

I have some crackers that have been in there for 2 months. They wouldn't last a week outside once opened! Means I can have have a few whenever I feel like one without thinking the whole lot will go stale when I open the packet. Corn chips and potato chips are awesomely kept too!

I hate wasting snack perishables and this means I don't have to. My nana used to do this - even during WWII - as things were rationed and waste was frowned upon in Australia at the time.

Give it a go :) Saves you money too :D

swinggal

One Too Many
PS: Oh, and I also keep my flour in the freezer. Stays fresh forever and means not having to worry about weevils :) My nana was a cluey lady. My pop used to keep his tobacco tin in the freezer too - kept it fresh way longer.

None of these things freeze, they just remain very cold, fresh and sterile :)

Lorena B

Practically Family
Hey Swinggal,i tried one of your tips yesterday and is great!!!
i put some leftover doritos in the freezer on Saturday and when my boyfriend asked for them again yesterday i thought, "oh dear, they wont be able to be eaten, they will need time to defrost"
Well, they were perfect! crunchy and fabulously tasty with not need of defrosting!!!!

Thank you for that one!!:eusa_clap

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
swinggal said:
My best 'household tip is this'. Whenever you open crackers, chips or corn chips and don't finish them, store them in the fridge - NOT the cupboard. They NEVER go stale this way!! People don't seem to believe me until they try it! There is no moisture in the air of a fridge and they all stay crisp. You don't even need to put them in a container - just leave them in their original packet.

I have some crackers that have been in there for 2 months. They wouldn't last a week outside once opened! Means I can have have a few whenever I feel like one without thinking the whole lot will go stale when I open the packet. Corn chips and potato chips are awesomely kept too!

I hate wasting snack perishables and this means I don't have to. My nana used to do this - even during WWII - as things were rationed and waste was frowned upon in Australia at the time.

Give it a go :) Saves you money too :D

I just bought a bag of chips.. and they always go stale! I will be putting my chips in the freezer! Thanks for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner