Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Chick Flick!

Rosie

One Too Many
Decobelle said:
Paisley, I think you might have meant "Imitation of Life" ? It was made twice - in 1934 with Claudette Colbert & the fabulous Louise Beavers, and in 1959 with Lana Turner & Juanita Moore. IN the original Louise starts out as a maid/housekeeper but becomes Claudette's business partner. I have not seen the 50s version in ages, but I agree the 1934 picture is 4 hankies, minimum.

Oh, YES! Imitation of Life, both versions. Very Good!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
For me, the two ultimate chick flicks are Ever After and Chocolat. For the former, who doesn't want their own happily ever after? It's a sweet, inspiring, lovely film. And the latter is just...delicious! The music is exquisite too. And both Binoche and Depp, not to mention Judi Dench all pull off enchanting characterizations. Both are so dreamy and breathtaking and completely take me away. I'm a total chick-flick kind of gal, even more so with the tearjerker genre. I watch more of those any other kind. I have to mention Gone With The Wind too, oh boy was I a mess when I saw it on the big screen this past summer! Handkerchief was out a mopping up a torrent of tears during Bonnie's and Melanie's death. And when Gerald O'Hara dies. And when she comes back to a ruined Tara. Oh, and just basically throughout the whole movie. It is such an experience for me everytime, and I've loved that movie since I was 7, so it's been with me a long time. Another awesome modern chick flick is Down With Love. And the Bridget Jones Diary movies! Now, where's my Mr. Darcy, hmmm? :p lol

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Best Chick Flick

Why, "The Women" (1939) of course!
Directed by George Cukor.....with Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Joan
Fontaine, Rosalin Russell, Paulette Goddard.....
Does it get better than that???
No it doesn't. ;) :D

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
o s/heroes count?

When I think of Chick Flick, what came to mind immediately were:
The Bodyguard - hits all my buttons; I was captivated again when the DVD came all with even greater visual and auditory detail
Practical Magic - it's not just Sandra Bullock; it's more because of lines like, "oooh, she finally came out" that just . . . (loss of words - for once;)
Mean Girls
-revenge estrogen style
Women of Brewster Place
- okay, this one hits home; the characterization is awesome (and that's not just because I think Oprah Winfrey is one of the greatest popular role models along with Martha Stewart this generation has to offer
Ella Enchanted
Saving Face
Saving Grace
Indochine

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Good call on "Imitation of Life" -- one of those films that I saw as a teen that's stuck with me ever since.

But the all time double-hankie weepie crown has to go to "One Way Passage" (1932) -- William Powell and Kay Fwancis as doomed lovers on board an ocean liner, with neither of them expecting to survive the trip. Just about anything Kay did in the early thirties counts as a waterworks special, but this one truly takes the cake. I last saw it in 1990 -- and I still tear up just thinking about it.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Do s/heroes count?

When I saw "chick flick", what came to mind immediately were:
The Bodyguard - hits all my buttons; I was captivated again when the DVD came all with even greater visual and auditory detail
Practical Magic - it's not just Sandra Bullock; it's more because of lines like, "oooh, she finally came out" that just . . . (loss of words - for once;)
Mean Girls-revenge estrogen style
Women of Brewster Place- okay, this one hits home; the characterization is awesome (and that's not just because I think Oprah Winfrey is one of the two greatest popular role models (Martha Stewart being the other) that this generation has to offer
Ella Enchanted - the plot is fascinating; another on that eternally long list of "got to read" books
Saving Face - lots of cultural misdirections and adjustments, but mostly it is about "true love"
Saving Grace - it took a lot to keep this from being a flat out caricature; Brenda Blethyn gets all the credit
Indochine - Catherine Deneuve at her best in this lavish historically accurate story of the rise of communism in Vietnam; the costuming and cinematography more than make up for a somewhat cumbersome screenplay; did I mention it showcases Catherine Deneuve?

That was off the top of my head!
Then there are extraordinary older ones featuring Katie Hepburn in just about anything but especially The African Queen comes to mind immediately.

How could I have forgotten Daughters of the Dust

How about the The Devil Wears Prada - did Meryl Streep kill it with that soliloquy about cerulean blue or what!

Obviously when I hear "chick flick," I think of films where women are powerful: be it with the power of being subtle or clever or persistent or resilient or practical or whatever, but not sappy; i.e., s/heroes to be admired, not mourned.

Hope I didn't drift off-topic; once you know that my all-time favorite wear it out watching it and paid more than I care to admit to get the soundtrack movie is Conan, it might all start to make sense :D or notlol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I have way too many to name!

Instead of listing 3873923874 titles of movies, here are some of the "chick flick" actresses I tend to gravitate towards most:

Ann Harding
Kay Francis
Ruth Chatterton
Dorothy Mackaill
Norma Shearer
Joan Crawford
Jean Harlow
Barbara Stanwyck
Joan Blondell
Ann Dvorak
Ginger Rogers

...just to name a few! Of course, none of these ladies *strictly* do chick flicks, but they all have their fair share and I tend to like those movies best :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kim_B said:
Oh boy...where do I begin!?

Typical Chick Flick movies:
"You've Got Mail"
"Joe Vs. The Volcano"
"Sleepless in Seattle" (notice a trend?)
"Pretty Woman" (guilty pleasure!)
"Bridget Jones' Diary" (both of them)
"Brokedown Palace" (not really a chick flick, I guess)
"Inventing The Abbotts"
"ShopGirl" (great Steve Martin movie!)
"Sweet Home Alabama"
"While You Were Sleeping"
"How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days"

Movies that aren't classified as Chick Flicks, but movies I never get tired of watching:
"The Natural"
"That Thing You Do"
"The Shawshank Redemption"
"Tombstone"
"Pleasantville"
"For The Love of The Game" (I guess this could fall into the chick flick category...)
"The Princess Bride"
"Lost in Yonkers"

I know there are more...I'm just having one of those days...

Well done Kim!!!! I adore every movie on this list. I think I'm gonna stay in be all weekend and watch every one of the! Except "Sweet Home Alabama", although I love it. I was in the hospital for a month. The hospital chooses one movie that they play on a special station. This movie doesn't change for an entire month, and the movie that was on for the month I was there was "Sweet Home Alabama". I think I liked it the first 50 times I watched it! All I can say is thank goodness I was on some really good drugs!! Needless to say, I now have bad associations with the film:( Although I love all the actors in it. Hmmm, maybe I'll try watching it again just to see what happens.
I just watched Shopgirl again tonight. I really enjoyed this film, and don't see myself getting sick of it any time soon.
Oh and Pretty Woman. I can't believe I forgot to put that on my first list!!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Like Water for Chocolate - an absolute great film.

YES! That would have to be one of my favorite "Chick Flicks".
I don't watch them often, and like them even less often, but there are a few that I like enough to question my masculinity from time to time. lol

Like Water for Chocolate (read the book, it's even wilder!)
Sense and Sensibility
Titanic
What Women Want
As Good as It Gets
Love, Actually
Girl in the Cafe (Is this really a Chick Flick?)
Two Much (Antonio Banderas at his bumbling best)
The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Chick flicks by age:

Kids-teen:
The Secret Garden
Ella Enchanted
The Prince and Me
Ever After
any Disney Animated Feature (Beauty and the Beast being my fave)

Adult:
Love Actually
Say Anything
The Lake House (better than the Asian original)
Never Been Kissed
Cant Buy Me Love
Circle of Friends
Princess Bride!
Edward Scisorhands

Im sure there are tons more, but I dont have my DVDs in front of me :)

LD

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
<ahem> I have a... <cough> FRIEND... who likes PORTRAIT OF JENNIE (1948, Joseph Cotton, Jennifer Jones)

266470.1010.A.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040705/

It's funny to read IMDB and hear other guys starting out their reviews by telling how their favorite movies are Die Hard and Terminator, But... :whistling

It was David O. Selznick's whole-hearted tribute to his wife, Jennifer Jones, and it shows - pulled out all the stops. Won a couple of oscars & nominated for another. Told from the guy's point of view: Guy meets girl who's "lost in time" driting between past & present, and he keeps trying to "find" her. The whole thing is just surreal, it's great.

SAYS MY FRIEND....

Rosie

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
YES! That would have to be one of my favorite "Chick Flicks".
I don't watch them often, and like them even less often, but there are a few that I like enough to question my masculinity from time to time. lol

Like Water for Chocolate (read the book, it's even wilder!)

Wasn't the book wonderful? When I wrote the film last night I thought of taking the book off the shelf for another read.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Noir, mystery and horror for me

Oh, I'm not sure Portrait of Jennie, The Women, and Rebecca are considered chick flicks, are they? Whatever, I like them, and I hate chick flicks. I used to like Brief Encounter until my hubby cheated on me and now I just can't bring myself to watch it. The jerks. Anyway, when I hear the term chick flick I think of modern fare like While You Were Sleeping, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and Sliding Doors, all unwatchable by me, but my hubby likes stuff like that. He owns The Wedding Singer.

Novella

Practically Family
Like a lot of others, I'm not too big on chick flicks - I tend to avoid modern romantic comedies if possible. One of my closest friends is super into chick flicks and I'll watch any movie at least once so I've seen a fair amount of them. One of her favorites is 10 Things I Hate About You, and I've seen that so many times now that it's worked it's way into my heart. (Heath Ledger being in it doesn't hurt! *melt*)

Sans friend influence my favorite is The Love Letter (the TV movie, not the other one). It is one of the very few films in the world that can make me cry. It's probably the most saccharine love story I like. Something about it just pushes the right buttons. Oh, I love The Shop Around the Corner! Probably my favorite old chick flick. And despite of how sick I am of seeing Audrey Hepburn's face everywhere, Breakfast at Tiffany's is a really good film. I don't really see Princess Bride as a chick flick, but I love that movie. Hmmm, other contenders are all of the historically set variety, and I'd probably call them historical dramas before I would chick flicks.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a favorite per say, but there's a few that I love equally;
Casablanca
Roman Holiday
To Catch a Thief
You've got Mail
Maid in Manhatten
While You were Sleeping
The Lake House
French Kiss

Forum statistics