Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Chick Flick!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello All!:)

This thread might bring a lot of responses from the ladies, but gents please feel free to join in. I'd love to hear from you all.

Well, I'm sure that each and every one of us has a movie that we love to watch. You know the one that you watch while curled up in bed or on the sofa with the lights down low or completely off and the curtains down, I like to light a few candles but this is totally optional. You are preparing yourself like this because you want to be relaxed, maybe you're preparing for a good cry while you watch this film, but more than likely you're sitting in a dark room with a blanket pulled up to your eyes and the blinds drawn because you wouldn't admit to anybody that you are about to watch this particular movie. I'm talking about The Chick Flick:eek:!!! A movie that is intended for a female audience, they are often kind of sappy.

Now this doesn't necessarily have to be a truly "girlie" movie, for we all know that none of the fine Gents here would sit down and watch one of those:p No strict criteria, just one of those sappy movies that you might have heard someone making fun of one day and you were like "hey I dig that film" and might have been laughed at for actually admitting to such a thing. The film can be from any era, about anything. It's just gotta be a film that you really like but might not own up to it in front of your friends. One of my closest girlfriends is really into these kind of films, she just loves the sappy love stories and has terrible taste in movies, for example the last time we went to the movies it was her turn to pick, and she chose "Stick It" which was a movie that was marketed towards 12 year old girls! But anyway, In our 16 year friendship I've seen quite a few of these types of movies, and I even ended up ordering a few of them on DVD.

So here goes, I can't believe I'm gonna admit to some of these, yet there actually are a few chick flicks that are wonderful and I'm not ashamed to admit to them.

"Beaches" is a movie that brings back a lot of memories for me (and I'm sure a zillion other women my age.

"An Affair to Remember" is a wonderful film, no fear to admitting to this one.

"The Notebook" caters to a female audience, but the clothes are great. This is one of my favorite rainy day films to watch:eek:

This one is one of the ultimate chick flicks: "How Stella Got Her Groove Back", this one is kind of hard to admit to. But I swear, I haven't watched it in ages!!:eek:

OK, that's all I can bring myself to admitting to at the moment.
So all you guys and gals, what's your favorite "Chick Flick"??? Come on, you can tell me!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a visceral reaction to Affair to Remember. It just makes me want to fwow up! However I do have a couple of favorite sentimantal flicks, all B&W and from the 40's, surprise surprise. And of course 2 of them are war movies, so I guess that sort of disqualifies them. But what the heck.
First is "How Green Was My Valley". When Roddy McDowell comes up out of that mineshaft with his dead father on his lap, I always blubber. Beautiful movie.
The next one is Noel Coward's In "Which We Serve". My mother, who was a WW2 vet, turned me on to this one.
Finally, "Mrs. Miniver" always does it to me as well. Pure propaganda. The Brave Brits! Etc., etc.

Shearer

Practically Family
Daisy, I have a friend like that too. She always used to make me watch Mystic Pizza.

This is a tough one for me, because I have a total weakness for "guy movies" :rolleyes: It's probably something I shouldn't be admitting, but I almost cried when I saw 300. Same thing happens to me at the end of The Last of the Mohicans when Chingachgook kills Magua to avenge Uncas.

ANYWAY... lol

I'm going to cop out on this one and say my favourite is The Women. Not sappy at all, but it's on my top ten for sure and it's the ultimate chick flick because there's nary a man to be found in the whole movie!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I have a visceral reaction to Affair to Remember. It just makes me want to fwow up!

Me, too. The dialogue and plot just don't make any sense to me. But I like "Sense and Sensibility" and "Emma" (both modern films).

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Not a Chick Flick kinda Gal

I'm not really a chick flick kind of gal. I'd much rather watch grotesque horror flicks than a sappy tear jerker any day. :) But, if I did have to pick a chick flick of sorts, I find that I am in love with dancing movies like Grease or Girls Just Want to Have Fun. Other than that, the only semi-chick flick I can think of at the moment that is a favourite of mine is Practical Magic. I don't really consider that a CF in the typical sense. Give me blood, gore, and death and you got yourself one happy little lady. :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hehee That is awesome. I am a huge b-slasher lover like Sleepaway Camp and Evil Dead (I). Hahaha I am sure we could go on and on about the love of blood and screams, but in the spirit (yuk yuk yuk) of staying on topic...

I just looked through my movie collection and I only have one other movie that could be considered a CF... Dirrty Dancing. But note, it is another Dancing movie for me. LOL

pigeon toe

One Too Many
These aren't necessarily true chick flicks, but my girly favorites are definitely, "Amelie", "The Breakfast Club" and "A Little Princess".

"Amelie" and "A Little Princess" make me cry! I actually haven't watched "Amelie" in ages because I used to associate so much with her why I was much shyer, and it makes me sad. It also makes me sad though because as I've lost my shyness, I also have lost some of my quirky charm that's so prevalent in Amelie's character.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hello All!:)

"The Notebook" caters to a female audience, but the clothes are great. This is one of my favorite rainy day films to watch:eek:

I received a copy of this for Christmas. I watched it a couple of weeks ago, and ended up sobbing at the end (as it hit too close to home for me on some levels), so..... I'm giving that movie away. I don't want to keep it and feel guilty for never watching it again

Anyone want a once-viewed DVD of it??

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
My favorites in this category:
Now, Voyager & Dark Victory (Bette Davis)
Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford. Not strictly a girlie picture...)
In Name Only (Carole Lombard & Cary Grant)
Gone With the Wind ( no matter how many times I see it, I still think 'maybe this time Rhett won't go...').

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I like "Portrait of a Life." (I think that's the title: a black maid's daughter tries to pass for white). It's a tear-jerker!

Rosie

One Too Many
The Color Purple (I've seen this countless times and I STILL cry whenever I see it: "Nothing but DEATH can keep me from her!") Wow! Extraordinary!

The Joy Luck Club (this is such a great movie great scenes, great acting, lots of crying)

The Lover (Very Good!)

Farewell My Concubine (is this REALLY a chick flick?) very good and tear enducing anyway

The Women of Brewster Place (good chick miniseries)

Little Women (I grew up with the Susan Sarandon, Kirsten Dunst version)

When all else fails, a rainy day and almost anything on Lifetime.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Oh boy...where do I begin!?

Typical Chick Flick movies:
"You've Got Mail"
"Joe Vs. The Volcano"
"Sleepless in Seattle" (notice a trend?)
"Pretty Woman" (guilty pleasure!)
"Bridget Jones' Diary" (both of them)
"Brokedown Palace" (not really a chick flick, I guess)
"Inventing The Abbotts"
"ShopGirl" (great Steve Martin movie!)
"Sweet Home Alabama"
"While You Were Sleeping"
"How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days"

Movies that aren't classified as Chick Flicks, but movies I never get tired of watching:
"The Natural"
"That Thing You Do"
"The Shawshank Redemption"
"Tombstone"
"Pleasantville"
"For The Love of The Game" (I guess this could fall into the chick flick category...)
"The Princess Bride"
"Lost in Yonkers"

I know there are more...I'm just having one of those days...

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
I like "Portrait of a Life." (I think that's the title: a black maid's daughter tries to pass for white). It's a tear-jerker!

Paisley, I think you might have meant "Imitation of Life" ? It was made twice - in 1934 with Claudette Colbert & the fabulous Louise Beavers, and in 1959 with Lana Turner & Juanita Moore. IN the original Louise starts out as a maid/housekeeper but becomes Claudette's business partner. I have not seen the 50s version in ages, but I agree the 1934 picture is 4 hankies, minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran