Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Chick Flick!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
I watched 'The Lake House' on HBO last night. I got so confused at the time difference-thing that it gave me a headache.

I did too. At first the time thing made me nuts, but I realized I was thinking about it too much. Once I let go of keeping track, it all sorted itself out.
Anyway, I liked it much more than I expected, and it reminded me of another Keanu chick flick that I love; Sweet November. I think that was the first Keanu movie other than Speed that I liked.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Quigley, Wonderland refers to an old amusement park that used to be at the location of the Tstop. There was a racetrack there too, after the amusement park went bust. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderland_Amusement_Park

Chick flicks--not sure if this means "romantic" or "tearjerker" or both but here's some of my favorites.

Crossing Delancey--I love Peter Reigert and Amy Irving is great in the film too.

Remember the Night with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. Outside of Judy Garland, Barbara Stanwyck can make me cry easier than any other actress. The scene when Barbara is talking to her mother in this movie gets me everytime.

Imitation of Life with Lana Turner. I sob all the way through this, but as soon as Mahalia Jackson appears I'm a blubbering wreck. I haven't seen this one in years for just that reason

A Star is Born with Judy Garland. I actually quite like the Janet Gaynor/Fredric March version for the 30s feel, but for tear jerking it's Judy and James all the way. Judy talking about her alcoholic husband and then having to go out and sing "Lose That Long Face". And James Mason--oh, his self destructiveness is so hard to watch. They were both robbed at Oscar time.

I'm ashamed to say it but Titanic. Worst script EVER but the costumes are heaven and Kate Winslet does what she can with what she's given. I admit it, I always cry at the end.

Sense and Sensibility. I could watch this with the sound off, the scenes are so beautifully composed (Emma sitting on the steps with her tea), but better to hear the dialogue.

In Name Only--Cary Grant, Carole Lombard, Kay Francis. Heaven.

Is it or isn't it?

For me a favorite that is a fine and funny film, touching, and all the while actually is a guy flick that masquerades as a chick flick:

'WHEN HARRY MET SALLY"

Genuinely funny and touching.:eusa_clap

Carrie Fisher is great in this as is Bruno Kirby.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
In Message in a Bottle I couldn't understand why the heroine didn't go for Paul Newman--even if he was in his 80s he had loads more charisma and sex appeal than Kevin Costner.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I looked at this thread a couple of days ago
and had to really think about it ~&~ here were
some of my favorite chick flicks!:p

Breakfast at Tiffany's ~ Heck...ALL Audrey Hepburn Films
Doris Day's Films
Bette Davis Films

The Women ~ with Norma Shearer
Rebecca
Imitation of Life
Thelma & Louise
Valley Girl
Grease
John Hughe's Films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club,Pretty in Pink)
Sense and Sensibility
Under the Tuscan Sun
The Color Purple
Moonstruck
Steel Magnolias
Pretty Woman
Clueless
Titanic
Father of the Bride (Classic & Updated with Steve Martin)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Muriel's Wedding
The Hours
Brigitte Jones Diary
Four Weddings & A Funeral
Notting Hill

Hondo

One Too Many
Who can not forget "Romeo and Juliet" with Olivia Hussey, or "Love Story" with Ali MacGraw & Ryan O'Neal? Just a big teddy bear :eek: lol

BTW: I left out, these two were not my favorite chick flicks, i don't have one but were two that left me misty with gal pals :p

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Quigley Brown said:
I watched 'The Lake House' on HBO last night. I got so confused at the time difference-thing that it gave me a headache.

HA HA HA!!
I still have a headache from trying to figure out that movie and I saw it in the theatre! lol

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Hey great thread ladies!! And gents... You've given me some great ideas for next time dh goes on a business trip.. That's when i watch movies that he probably won't like..

A couple of my favs are
Failure to Launch
Monster in Law
The Banger Sisters

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Its been mentioned a couple of times but I really like the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes", too. I don't know if it would qualify as a "Chick Flick" but I watch "A League of Their Own" everytime I see its on cable.

I liked Bridget Jones Diary alot.

They say Renee Z. did not break character during the entire time of filming on camera or off, so many people were surprised at the wrap party to hear her speaking with an American accent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran