Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite era for fashion?

decodoll

Practically Family
MissTayva said:
I will have to 'test drive' them again when I stop in there. I know all of the other shoes-- the wedges-- run small. If I remember correctly, the prototype he had of the baby dolls were indeed true to size. I also remember loving how they showed just the right amount of toe 'cleavage'!
I think the manufacturer did a great job on the platforms. I just can't stand the colors he picked out! I told him he should make some colorful ones (in regards to the purple plats I mentioned in my previous post)... Guess he took that comment to heart, haha!

Yeah...the black and the red are pretty classic colours, but the rest are pretty out there! I can't imagine having enough outfits to wear a pair of yellow shoes with to warrant the price! A few subdued colours would have been nice too! I already have vintage black babydolls though, and I thought the red would be cute.

MissTayva

Lauren Henline said:
Hey, I know who you're talking about! The lady who owns the vintage store here in Oceanside is going to carry her dresses. I was playing around on her website the other day. Very impressive!

Thanks a bunch! I am just excited you took a look! Hopefully, I will have it all up soon, and I'm hoping to sell to the Vintage Expo in Santa Monica in April/May, as I'm on the waiting list for a booth right now.

I didn't know there was a vintage store in Oceanside! How long has it been around? The only decent one that was in the area when I lived there (that I knew of) was Wear It Again Sam's.

I hope I can make it to the Vintage Expo. I always forget about stuff like that. We had planned on going to the Palm Springs Modernism show... but I seriously forgot. I remembered about it the day after it ended! Haha...

MissTayva

decodoll said:
Yeah...the black and the red are pretty classic colours, but the rest are pretty out there! I can't imagine having enough outfits to wear a pair of yellow shoes with to warrant the price! A few subdued colours would have been nice too! I already have vintage black babydolls though, and I thought the red would be cute.

I am thinking about getting the black pair. I love the red ones, but I already have too many pairs of red shoes! It's almost absurd how many pairs I have and how similar in color they are! I hope I can find a nice vintage pair there instead. The last time, the only ones I liked that were my size were a pair of those carved Phillippines shoes. Which is great, because I collect those. I'd just like something a little classier this time!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Dick Jane and Spike is the name of the store, and it's been around since about 98. Here's a story online from 2003 in the North County Times. She is such a sweetheart, and it's much closer for me than Wear it Again Sam, although I simply drool over the 30's and earlier dresses they have at Sam's!

Lauren

By the way, I'm going out to Yuma is a few weeks because my best friend is having a baby shower. Do you guys know of any vintage stores out there within driving distance?

MissTayva

Lauren Henline said:
By the way, I'm going out to Yuma is a few weeks because my best friend is having a baby shower. Do you guys know of any vintage stores out there within driving distance?

Yuma? Oh man, I dunno... there really isn't anything within driving distance of there, except desert!
Try the thrift stores. Yuma is primarily made up of retirees... so you may have luck finding stuff there.

Lauren

I'm not sure! I guess it all depends on how much time I can spend there! By the way, what is the "big city"? Please forgive the ignorance, as I'm not familiar with Arizona. I haven't seen my best friend out there for probably about a year or more, and because she's having a baby soon she may not want to venture out of town. Maybe I can use my powers of persuasion. But then again I never really think she "got" my obscession with vintage. *sigh*

I hit the thrift stores last time I was out there to visit. There really wasn't much "true" vintage, but I snagged a beaded 50's sweater for about $4. It has a few moth holes, but for that price, who could pass it up!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
good luck jitterbug with the college classes. I'm glad I found this thread, I was just thinking the same thing too (that the powder room was getting a little too quiet).
I love the 30's and 40's. I especially like the evening wear. The clothes were just so glamorous!
Someone mentioned point-toed shoes...those things are awful, I can only wear those things for a little while :)

SwingCat123

New in Town
I cant decide which era is my favorite, they all have their special qualities. The respect the 20s for their liberation and experimentation. I love the 30's for their elegance. The really like the 40's for their fashionable practicality and then celebration of freedom.

Novella

Practically Family
I'll have to join everyone else who said the thirties! I'm not very up on the technicalities of fashion but I do know what I like. I am in love with those great gowns with the V backs. So elegant and classy! I like the dresses with the belts too. Some aspects of the 40s I like, but I'm not so much for the square shoulder padded look.

Oh, and the hair! The 30s hair is fantastic, I'd eventually like to be able to fingerwave my hair, but I want to conquer pincurling first.

maisie

Practically Family
I LOVE the 40's for its utility look, especially British clothing (CC41) with the padded shoulders and nipped in waist but the excellent tailoring and attention to detail which makes the clothing look very military in style, yet very feminine! I also love how practical and comftable the clothes, and especially the shoes were made back then and how they were made to last!:)

However I do love the elegance of the 30's, and how the clothes show of the figure! I also have started loving the 50's clothing, especially the New Look style pieces with the big, full skirts and tiny nipped in waist, also the little wiggle dresses and the jeans of the time, which are practical yet still feminine!

Serina

New in Town
I love the 1920's - 1930's. I'm trying to get a wardrobe of 1920's and 30's clothes, but seems to be a slow process. The wardrobe itself is from the 1920's, it just needs the right kind of clothes inside it. :)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
*bump*

With much influence from this website I have a newfound infatuation with the 1930s. The style in those old hollywood films is decadence at it's best. The Thin Man and all the Fred and Ginger movies really make me pine.
However,those styles don't compliment my figure. So,pretty much all I can do is pine.
My favorite era to wear is the 40s. I especially love the technicolor films as inspiration such as: The Ziegfeld Follies and Pinup Girl.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm with you, rubyredlocks. Culturally, I'm very much a thirties kind of gal, and have been for most of my life. But I've never had very good luck with the drapey everyday fashions of that era -- instead, the mid-forties 3 1/2-yards-to-a-dress look tends to look better on me, and is more practical for everyday wear. So that's where I've ended up.

I do love certain thirties styles, though -- flutter sleeves are really nice, and I think 1933-35 hats are the cutest of all.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Oh yes,accessories are good way to go when attire doesn't suit.
I also love their small heeled little oxford lace-ups.So much more feminine then todays clunkier oxfords.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1940-1960

Would be my target zone. More the flavor of the jazz era. The fabulous things Miss Ella and the real Lady Day wore were divine. Clean lines, pearls feminine and put together.

That flavor has transcended to what many people would call Neo-Soul, and I love the true style of that, basically modern vintage, slacks, fedoras, wing tips, bloused with bows, etc.

Love it love it love it.

LD

Katydid

One of the Regulars
I'm not much into all the technicalities of clothing eras but....

I have to agree with the gowns of the 30's with that low cut back and classy elegance. Generally though I'm a 40's girl. Someone mentioned the utility look and I have to agree that I'm partial to that. (Hate the shoulder pads though because I'm so short and petite already that they overwhelm me.) I tend towards simple, clean, highly tailored lines anyway in my everyday dress so the 40's would have been my heyday. I adore shoes from the 40's----praise whoever made round-toed shoes. They're so much cuter than those pointy things everyone is wearing today (although I've seen babydoll pumps making a come back). And I love love love love wide leg pants. Especially the naval inspired ones with the buttons on the front.

Rosie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Would be my target zone. More the flavor of the jazz era. The fabulous things Miss Ella and the real Lady Day wore were divine. Clean lines, pearls feminine and put together.

That flavor has transcended to what many people would call Neo-Soul, and I love the true style of that, basically modern vintage, slacks, fedoras, wing tips, bloused with bows, etc.

Love it love it love it.

LD

My favorite shoes are from the '40s, thick pumps and wedgies, I love them! I also like hats from the '40s but, my clothing style lends towards the "new look" style of clothing. Big Lucy dresses and pencil skirts, thats basically me every day so, I'm a bit of a hodge podge in style. When I'm not wearing vintage or vintage inspired, my look is modern Neo Soul, modern vintage as Lady Day says, felt or fuzzy fedora, hair wrapped up, kind of ethnic, soulful if that makes any sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner