Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats your favorite Hat for warm weather

mark_m

New in Town
Is there such thing as an appropriate hat for warm summer evenings?

Sorry meant to post this in an appropriate sub-forum...

Last edited:

Warm is a subjective term. Here in the Pac NW I wear a felt hat.

Perhaps if it is on the upper edges of warm I will wear a light coloured - lighter weight fur felt, one that is unlined and vented as well might be my choice. If the 'warm' strays into the hot territory I will switch and choose one of my straws. A Milan or a Panama.

Perhaps if it is on the upper edges of warm I will wear a light coloured - lighter weight fur felt, one that is unlined and vented as well might be my choice. If the 'warm' strays into the hot territory I will switch and choose one of my straws. A Milan or a Panama.

+1

:)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
...and Robert makes one of the best.

20210419_092151.jpg 20210419_092223.jpg 20210419_140339.jpg 20210419_091133.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Here in Beijing, I'm alternating between canvas eight panel caps, an Akubra Capricorn (now about fifteen years old; the pleather sweatband eventually disintegrated and I pulled it out, but it wears just fine without it), and, casually, two Bronson A3 caps. Not owned anything like a ball cap for thirty years, picked the Brandon's up on a whim and they're great. Not much use for keeping the sun off your neck, but for days when that isn't a concern, and evening scoots out of the hotel, so convenient to throw on and stuff in a pocket indoors.

I have a few 'real' straws of no particular brand which tend to get worn with tailoring in Summer, though (unless it's an occasion when my favourites, the boaters, can come out) the Capricorns are still my favourites. The ultimate Summer hat for me would, I think, be a Federation made of the same stuff as the Capricorn, though with a couple of eyelets like the ones on the territory instead of the vented bit on the crown. Peters Bros (?) did something along these lines years ago az an Indy Straw, and at least in the hotel I saw it looked fantastic. We're Akubra to do their version in a carbon grey, a russet brown, a black, maybe a midnight blue and a deep green, I'd have one of each.... Failing that, the Stetson straw Stratoliners look really nice.

I also have a vented Akubra Riverina I bought and 'safari-ised', as did a few of us in these parts, some years ago. Great hat in heat for keeping the Sun off (proven itself in both China and India), though needs a little attention to a nibble from a carpet beetle now. I would love to try an Akubra Territory for a similar application, though I wish they would do it in a grey as the earth tones are do very close to the hat I already have. Still tempted, though.... I could also see me with a grey or black Cattleman at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana