Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite Pie ?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
I have a good recipe for a Pecan-Pumpkin pie. I always thought pecan was too rich, and pumpkin too plain, but together it's perfect! I always make at least a few by popular request every fall.

Those are my two favorites! Pumpkin first, by quite a ways, then pecan. My grandma was an incredible baker, and used to make an extra pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, just for me. I can still smell her kitchen. Stovall, how 'bought sharing that recipe, too?

I also like strawberry-rhubarb because it is my dad's favorite. We used to have to drive to the next town over to go to this truck stop for dinner, just because they had strawberry-rhubarb pie. I loved it because every now and then I got to sit at the counter with all the truckers. Strawberry-rhubarb pie just reminds me of that.

Mrs. MK

New in Town
My favorite pie..

Pie is one of those cool desserts that is old fashioned. I love (all homemade) apple pie , banana cream pie, pumpkin, chocolate mousse pie, pecan pie, etc. I could eat pie for every meal. Of course, I don't because of the obvious poundage that would quickly add up!

I also usually request pie instead of cake for my birthday. My last birthday we had chocolate mousse pie and tiramisu.

Mrs. MK :)

HistWardrobe

Vendor
favorite pie?

Tweetie Pie!
tweety-pie.jpg

(but not to eat, of course.... )
-------------------------------------
In memory of Isadore "Friz" Freling, 1905-1995. One of the cartooning greats.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:
Those are my two favorites! Pumpkin first, by quite a ways, then pecan. My grandma was an incredible baker, and used to make an extra pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, just for me. I can still smell her kitchen. Stovall, how 'bought sharing that recipe, too?

I also like strawberry-rhubarb because it is my dad's favorite. We used to have to drive to the next town over to go to this truck stop for dinner, just because they had strawberry-rhubarb pie. I loved it because every now and then I got to sit at the counter with all the truckers. Strawberry-rhubarb pie just reminds me of that.

Sure, I'll look it up and post it probably Sunday night. We're about to go to the beach for the weekend.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Mrs. MK said:
Pie is one of those cool desserts that is old fashioned. I love (all homemade) apple pie , banana cream pie, pumpkin, chocolate mousse pie, pecan pie, etc. I could eat pie for every meal. Of course, I don't because of the obvious poundage that would quickly add up!

I also usually request pie instead of cake for my birthday. My last birthday we had chocolate mousse pie and tiramisu.

Mrs. MK :)
And that tiramisu was excellent! Besides the tiramisu I get at my favorite Italian restraunt, that topped. :D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's the same thing. A 24-hour diner with zero pretentiousness. Their best pies (here in L.A.) are strawberry cream, and fresh peach (in season).

Their old logo is gone, alas. It was the outline of a house, with the mathematical "pi" symbol inside. Get it? "House of Pi"? :rolleyes:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
It's the same thing. A 24-hour diner with zero pretentiousness. Their best pies (here in L.A.) are strawberry cream, and fresh peach (in season).

Their old logo is gone, alas. It was the outline of a house, with the mathematical "pi" symbol inside. Get it? "House of Pi"? :rolleyes:

pumpkin-pism.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

They still use that logo for the restaurants here.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:

Here it is:

Pumpkin Praline Pie

Ingredients for praline layer:
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tbsp softened butter
refridgerated crust (Pillsbury)

Ingredients for pumkin filling:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup evaporated milk

In food processor, add pecan pieces, dark brown sugar, and butter. Process until ingredients hold together like paste, making sure the pecan pieces are a fine "meal". Press very firmly into bottom only of the pie crust so it will not float up during baking.

In mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy with a hand mixer or standing mixer. Then with mixer on low, or stirring by hand, add in order the rest of the ingredients. Beat only until well mixed. Pour slowly into praline lined crust.

Bake in oven checking after 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust to prevent oven browning with foil or a pie ring (important!). Pie is done when filling is set but still slightly jiggly in center. Depending on oven 45-55 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool on counter until room temp. Chilll in refrigerator.

Garnish with carmelized pecans
Ingredients:
20 nice pecan halves
3 tbsp white granulated sugar

In a non-stick skillet, add pecan halves and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Contiue stirring until sugar melts and begins to caramelize.

When pecans are nicely coated remove from heat and cool. Decorate top of pie. I made the mistake of putting these on the pie before it cooled once, and all the sugar melted off the pecans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot