Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite Red Hair colour?

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Jenniferose7 said:
One of my friends who turned me on to Feria R75 tried L'oreal HiColor HiLights in Red and it came out super intense. So I ordered some from Amazon and we'll see what happens when I try it later tonight. The only caveat is that you have to measure your own developer. Meh.

Oohh! Let us know how it works out for you! :)

Inky said:
ditto for me, I used that as well for all over color and it was a good red and didn't fade too quickly.

but nothing will sway me from special effects blood red and/or nuclear red. for now anyway

Where do you buy the Special Effects? I'd love to try it out :D

Inky

One Too Many
zombi said:
you can definitely buy SFX dye online from Amphigory, here.

I buy mine at my salon or the rockabilly shop in town, but you can also buy it online (thanks zombie for the link!)

just a tip - nuclear red fades orange and blood red fades to a more cool tone red. i haven't seen how any of the other reds fade. i get my color done every 6 weeks (but I have lots of gray roots too).

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I usually use Intense Red Copper from Lorle (I think I spelled that wrong). If that's not at the store and I have checked several places then I use other shade that are similar at that point I look a boxes and think. But Intense Red Copper is my favorite. Though this is probably a rediculous way to explain it I will anyway. I want my hair to be the color of Kate Winslet's in Titanic, and it usually is

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Right now I am Garnier Nutrisse No. 67, which is a light auburn shade. I am very happy with both the color and the condition in which the dye left my hair. :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm Garnier 66 which is a little darker I think (I don't know what the numbers mean but that sounds right) and yeah, I love how my hair didn't feel "crunchy" or any of the scary things my friends talked about afterward, but was quite soft and maneageable.

That said it didn't last super long, it's not gone now but its sort of fading and I did it on September 7th and I'm going to go over it tomorrow with the same colour to brighten it up. I've heard reds go fast: but is this fast normal?

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Thanks zombi and Inky. :)

Viola said:
I'm Garnier 66 which is a little darker I think (I don't know what the numbers mean but that sounds right) and yeah, I love how my hair didn't feel "crunchy" or any of the scary things my friends talked about afterward, but was quite soft and maneageable.

That said it didn't last super long, it's not gone now but its sort of fading and I did it on September 7th and I'm going to go over it tomorrow with the same colour to brighten it up. I've heard reds go fast: but is this fast normal?

Sometimes the color won't penetrate the cuticle of the hair very well because there's too much build up of other dyes, causing it to fade much quicker. So it just "coats" it instead of going in. Reds do go fast but sometimes it might be the brand. For instance, Clairol's reds fade really fast on me (within a week or so) but the red I've been using doesn't. Just make sure you're washing your hair with cool water and you're using color-safe shampoo/conditioner! It also might help to blow some heat onto your hair with a blowdryer while it's processing.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I am looking with envy at all the lovely red-haired ladies on this thread. I have never been able to wear my hair with any kind of red in it, not even a modest strawberry blonde.

I was and am a true ash blonde; any kind of red highlights makes me look quite hideous. I am now a silver gray fox and wash my hair with purple or blue-colored shampoo to keep the yellowish look out of my hair.

I can tell you what red hair I most best -- it is a deep wine color, close to auburn, a most lovely and sensuous color.

I think all the love goddesses in history had red hair, including Helen of Troy. What other hair color could sink a thousand ships?

karol

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Ok here's my result. :eusa_clap

I used L'oreal HiColor HiLights in "Red" with Oreor 30 Volume Developer. I used it as an all over color though it's meant to highlight. If you have longer hair than me you'd probably need two application's worth. I had trouble capturing the full effect pf the color but the color in the brightest part of the photo is what the color is like on my whole head. I love it but it was quite shocking when I dried my hair after rinsing. My hair has never gotten this red despite all my best efforts. I think next time I might try "Copper Red" for a warmer effect.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Grant Fan said:
Though this is probably a rediculous way to explain it I will anyway. I want my hair to be the color of Kate Winslet's in Titanic, and it usually is

That is a very sensible way of explaining it. :) Her hair colour there should be in a colour group of its own!

I want Kathryn Grayson's colour in Kiss Me, Kate:

KathrynGrayson.jpg

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the true-red out of my hair, in favour of copper. Currently, I have 3 colours, with 2 sets of roots: faded deep-red, light copper roots, and natural roots coming in. It's a dismal mess... :(

zombi

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
I'm having a lot of trouble getting the true-red out of my hair, in favour of copper. Currently, I have 3 colours, with 2 sets of roots: faded deep-red, light copper roots, and natural roots coming in. It's a dismal mess... :(
So what you're needing to do, correct me if I'm wrong, is lighten the darker red in your hair and push the colour more towards copper? Are the copper roots you have what you want?

Catnip tea rinsing will lend a more golden tone to hair. You can also use honey to lighten hair, as it has natural peroxide in it, if that is something you are interested in.

Trying to get the right red can be really frustrating -- a lot of people have a very specific colour in mind as I'm sure most of us have experienced! And it can be a pain to try and correct a red mishap. :(

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
zombi, you are correct. The copper roots I've got are a bit too light. In theory, I should be able to fade my current colour and then dye it - but boy, is this red ever stubborn! Thanks for the catnip suggestion... If I can get a golden tone, the copper dye may take.

KateSpenser- Thanks :) It was a faded Superior Preference's Intense Red Copper (RP07).

zombi

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
zombi, you are correct. The copper roots I've got are a bit too light. In theory, I should be able to fade my current colour and then dye it - but boy, is this red ever stubborn! Thanks for the catnip suggestion... If I can get a golden tone, the copper dye may take.
You can also try washing with something containing tea tree oil, which helps fade dye, and here's an article about honey lightening. I really enjoy playing with hair far too much and even more than that, I enjoy finding herbal solutions instead of synthetic chemical ones, so maybe this will help you [huh]

Good luck with this! <3

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
zombi said:
here's an article about honey lightening.

I'm going to try it today - I'll post back here with the results! Fingers crossed!

Edit - Okay, here's the results:

This is what I began with...
HoneyHairLightening001.jpg

This is the mixture...
HoneyHairLightening002.jpg

After the mixture was applied, I left it on for 2 hours...
HoneyHairLightening003.jpg

Here is the final result...
HoneyHairLightening004.jpg

Not dramatic, but a few shades lighter, and definitely more coppery. I may be able to achieve my target tone now.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I was at Shoppers tonight, only meaning to go to the Post Office. As I was leaving, I passed the hair colour aisle, and gave in - I'm going to take the fast road and just dye the copper in.

That's what I get for perpetually having ants in my pants!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo