Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite Red Hair colour?

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
vintage_jayhawk said:
christina-hendricks.asp19126img1.jpg

Her hair color is amazing!

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
amygeorgina said:
Sadly my sister has proper bright red hair and I'm kind of forbidden from going the same route (even though she was blonde and I was always the red head!)
QUOTE]

I agree with the other gals, if u want it go for it!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
amygeorgina said:
YES!! This is the problem I've had, all orange at the roots, not good!! Am going to try a La Riche Directions in Pillarbox Red, it's a semi permanent but was hoping it might give it a redder tone, we'll see, will report back this evening.

If that fails, am going to try the Live XXL in Red Passion and hope it's not the one that has just turned me orange, I must start remembering them or keeping the box lids as they recommend!!

I'm sure that's the one I used chuck...Let me know how you get on.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
Jirina said:
I finally found the colour i've been looking for a long time!
I like natural looking red colour.

Here's my haircolour nowadays!

31020094231pieni.jpg

^^ i LOVE this colour!

i really want to dye my hair red, and i would especially like to use henna. i was going to try the Lush one. my hair is just so dry, that i hesitate to use anything chemically or permanent. it took me ages to get back the quality of my hair back to anything other than straw!

amygeorgina

New in Town
That's a gorgeous colour! Suits you!

For a quick update on my hair dye disaster - I'm pleased to report the La Riche Directions in Pillarbox Red worked a treat in toning it back to red from the weird orange (and I mean, orange!!) rendered by the Live XXL.

Although, it did stop my sister talking to me and posting catty remarks on Twitter about, "There goes her individuality" but her immaturity is for another time....!

Lilac Oak

New in Town
semi-permanent red

vintage_jayhawk said:
Can anyone recommend a good semi-permanent red hair dye? I'm really wanting to go red, but I'm a little nervous to do something permanent. I love Christina Hendricks hair color!
christina-hendricks.asp19126img1.jpg

vintage_jayhawk, like kamikat said, I can't suggest anything semi-permanent if your hair is darker, but if it is a similar natural colour to mine, (between dark blonde and light brown) I would recommend Natural Instincts in Light Golden Red (shade 15RG.) It gives me a colour very similar to the one in that photo of Christina Hendricks, not at all like the picture on the box. A word of caution though, even though it says that the colour is semi-permanent, and it does fade significantly in my hair over time, I never really lose the red hue and get back to my natural colour even after months of not dying it. Even the first time I dyed my hair red using L'Oreal Color Pulse, which is supposed to only last 8-10 washes, it never completely washed out. I don't mind, as I love having red hair, but you might :)

lframe

One of the Regulars
I am in the middle of transforming my blonde hair to red. It hasn't been red in 5 years and I feel part of me is missing! So, while I am not really happy with the color it is right now, we added depth to it so that it would have time to rest and settle before the big red.

I will be using Aveda to upgrade and their shampoo that keeps a wash of red in your hair so that it stays fresh. 4 more weeks to go!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Jasmine Jolene said:
how so? if it went too red would i not be able to correct it?

bit of a novice here! maybe i'll just use a semi permanent, it would be less messy (or so i'm led to believe!)

I used to think that Henna was a nice gentle colour, but it stays in your hair for a loooong time and it does say on some home colours not to use after a Henna Treatment. I'm not sure why, my hairdresser tried to explain, something about salts and yadda yadda and then I could just see her mouth moving and sound coming out!lol

swinggal

One Too Many
This is my current red.

Photo0375copy.jpg

It's a little darker than normal as I couldn't get my regular Garnier colour. This was another brand. Mine is usually the same colour as Christina Hendricks's hair and Garnier Nuttrisse reds are the only ones I have found in 20 years of colouring my own hair - that don't fade as fast. I normally used this one as we don't get the 'Hot Tamale' one here in Australia anymore :(
300.JPG

I have also been told by a hairdresser friend that you put a red in (redying, whatever) don't wash your with shampoo OR really hot wear when you rinse the colour out. Makes the colour set and last longer apparently

zombi

A-List Customer
Jasmine Jolene said:
how so? if it went too red would i not be able to correct it?

bit of a novice here! maybe i'll just use a semi permanent, it would be less messy (or so i'm led to believe!)
Hi,
I'm a henna user. The semi-permanent would definitely be less messy. I usually tell people henna is not for you if you think you will ever tire of your red hair and want to make it lighter.

The bit about not being able to dye over henna only applies to henna that contains stuff other than henna itself (that's the metallic salts business). You can certainly dye darker colours over henna -- but you cannot remove it from your hair. Bleach doesn't take it out very well; many people have ruined their hair trying.

lframe - are you going to use the Aveda Madder Root stuff? It's great!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
swinggal said:
Mine is usually the same colour as Christina Hendricks's hair and Garnier Nuttrisse reds are the only ones I have found in 20 years of colouring my own hair - that don't fade as fast.

As a hairdresser, I have tried many brands of professional color and I agree that the Garnier Nuttrisse is the longest lasting red on the market. I used to use their Sangria, but a few years ago, they changed the formula, making it lighter and a littler brassier. I have found that professional colors start out more vibrant but fade quick and Garnier is not as bright, but stays the same longer. I will use Redken if it's right before a special occasion and I know lots of pictures will be taken, but Garnier for my regular color.

FAYEZY123

New in Town
amygeorgina said:
That's a gorgeous colour! Suits you!

For a quick update on my hair dye disaster - I'm pleased to report the La Riche Directions in Pillarbox Red worked a treat in toning it back to red from the weird orange (and I mean, orange!!) rendered by the Live XXL.

Although, it did stop my sister talking to me and posting catty remarks on Twitter about, "There goes her individuality" but her immaturity is for another time....!

Hi AmyGeorgina, I recently used the same colour on my hair! I tried to go from jet black to blonde, knackered my hair so put the pink La Riche Directions on my hair...just recently changed it to red though!

Will have to post the results!

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
HELP!

Ladies, I need some help. I bit the bullet and went to my stylist and had my hair dyed red. Well, at least that was the plan. Now I have this terrible burgundy red color, that is no where near what i was looking for (Christina Hendricks, see above). My stylist did foils with this terrible red and a lighter red. They are both much darker than my natural color, and it's just awful on me. So, the question is, I'm trying to get back in to have her fix it. Any recommendations of what I need to say to get from burgundy red to natural-ish red? She used Redken colors 5RO and 6R with 6CB.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
vintage_jayhawk said:
Ladies, I need some help. I bit the bullet and went to my stylist and had my hair dyed red. Well, at least that was the plan. Now I have this terrible burgundy red color, that is no where near what i was looking for (Christina Hendricks, see above). My stylist did foils with this terrible red and a lighter red. They are both much darker than my natural color, and it's just awful on me. So, the question is, I'm trying to get back in to have her fix it. Any recommendations of what I need to say to get from burgundy red to natural-ish red? She used Redken colors 5RO and 6R with 6CB.
WAIT!!! I use Redken on my clients and I know from experience that the red fades within the first week. It's been so long since I took their certification course, but I seem to remember something about their reds being double pigmented so they penetrate the hair shaft more. 6R is what I typically use on my own hair. Give it a week, wash it every day and you should see some lightening up.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
zombi said:
Hi,
I'm a henna user. The semi-permanent would definitely be less messy. I usually tell people henna is not for you if you think you will ever tire of your red hair and want to make it lighter.

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, etc.

Henna is for those who want to have red hair and keep it. If you like changing your hair color a lot, henna is NOT for you. Go the semi-permanent route if you're a hair color chameleon!

RD

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Kamikat is right. If you've never gone red before, the first few days can be shocking. I dyed my hair red on Saturday the 14th and it was a deep burgundy. I've washed it 5 times since then and today it's a far more muted coppery color, which is what I was after. Unfortunately with red, you often have to go through a week or so of nasty fake-looking color to fade to the shade you wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran