Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your New Year's Resolution?

DNO

One Too Many
I've never been a new year's resolution guy but I think I'll try to remember to 'like' more people's posts on this board. Just not used to the idea yet I guess.

Be a better listener. I want to stop nodding my head and truly listen more. I also want to live in the moment and appreciate what is going on around me. Far too often I'm pushing to the next thing without realizing what's happening now won't happen again. I want to appreciate right now instead of what's next.

C-O-M-P-R-O-M-I-S-E

Contrary to what some alpha males espouse, being "whipped" can be a good thing and is often the key ingredient to a successful marriage. Let her be right most of the time, even when she isn't, and carefully pick your battles (the vast majority of the time, it just doesn't matter). Acknowledge, and empathize with, her feelings even if they seem nuts. Treat her like a queen. If she reciprocates, you are well on your way.

Bilateral foregiveness is also key.

I blew it the first time. Second time around has been infinitely better. Just celebrated our fourth anniversary.
That's some solid, good advice right there.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Last year's was to shed the weight I gained after back damage and get back to the size I was for the previous 25 years. Did that by the end of the fourth month of 2015.

This year I don't have enough brains or ambition to come up with a resolution of any sort.

skydog757

A-List Customer
I agree that acquisition seems to drive me way too much and possession doesn't bring me near the pleasure that I thought (or hoped) that it might. I have to laugh at myself when I watch these new "tiny house" shows on HGTV; I most likely could not fit anything but my clothes and hats into some of those living spaces. Time for a change.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
C-O-M-P-R-O-M-I-S-E

Contrary to what some alpha males espouse, being "whipped" can be a good thing and is often the key ingredient to a successful marriage. Let her be right most of the time, even when she isn't, and carefully pick your battles (the vast majority of the time, it just doesn't matter). Acknowledge, and empathize with, her feelings even if they seem nuts. Treat her like a queen. If she reciprocates, you are well on your way.

Bilateral foregiveness is also key.

I blew it the first time. Second time around has been infinitely better. Just celebrated our fourth anniversary.

Definitely great advice! I have actually proudly worn the badge of being "whipped" as I agree that is honestly the best way to be happy. If she is happy, I am happy and it's not as if she doesn't compromise. Bilateral forgiveness is DEFINITELY an important aspect to master. We definitely push that and make sure we finish fixing any issues before really moving on. Also, She likes my jacket and my engineer boots so how can I go wrong?! :D

Congrats dude glad you got it right this time that is great to hear :)

A-1

One Too Many
I’ve given this threat some thought.
I think it’s great for most of us to focus more on the REAL things in life and less on internet and consumption.
BUT: I also believe a lot us, I can say that about myself at least, aren’t only here because of buying stuff. I’m also here because of the "company“. And I sure don’t wanna miss that.
So, I’d love to read more about the REAL stuff that’s going on in your lives.
Plus, I know that there is way more advice to find here in the lounge than only on clothes and leather jackets. I still remember the great advice I’ve gotten when I asked about special locations to see in Scotland.
I think there is way more insight and knowledge gathered here than on most other forums (though I cannot say that for sure as I’ve not actually been an active part in another... haha). PLUS, I also have the feeling that a lot of people here, including me, are very open to listen to advice and to learn about stuff.
Just a thought...

Cocker

Practically Family
Well, seems I'll have to revise my plans ! New resolution: be the best father I can be, and a good model as well, for my newborn daughter !

Reactions: A-1

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1. Work less (and delegate more).

2. Get out of the house and explore new . . . . (doesn't matter what).

3. More long weekend getaways with my wife.

4. Be a better dad, even when my two teenage girls don't reciprocate.

5. Buy less (unless Himel makes the jacket I am urging him to make, or RMC re-releases the long sold-out jacket I am urging them to re-release, or the sold-out RMC I am pining for becomes available on the used market in good condition, or a GW becomes available in my size, or . . . . ).

6. Be nicer to Bill Kelso / Andy Falzon (but not Simmons Bilt).

Three days into the new year and I have already broken two of my resolutions. I had an intense argument with one of my daughters yesterday and I purchased a Rogue Territory Waxed Canvas Blanket Lined Supply Jacket today. At least I was nice to BK/Andy.

Supply_Jacket_-_Black_Wax_Blanket-01_grande.jpg

A-1

One Too Many
The rgt jacket is awesome! I've got it without the lining. I only purchase black raw denim these days as to me it's more unique. Here in Germany the trend of raw denim seems to catch speed and you see indigo raw denim and red wings everywhere. I like the look, but it's a bit boring.
I love the way black denim fades! But it's special. It's more punk and not as sophisticated as indigo. Haha.
By the way I also got a scarf of the faribault woolen mill. It's the only one I got and it's outstanding!
SF, the only thing that bothered me in the rgt design is that the jacket has a kind of bulk when the last button is closed. It looks strange to me. I don't know if that's me or if they've changed something there in the design. My jacket is over two years old now.
Would be interesting to know.
Have fun with the jacket though! I just never use the last button.

Hope the argument could be solved.

A-1

One Too Many
By the way, I've also purchased something. And I hope it fits:

3886dd900259bca07d738ef0ceddbeac.jpg
0989d44bcf4cecfb359ededbbf35311e.jpg
4d112bad03117d7374e9cef4f39a730b.jpg

I have to get the cork inlays if it's too big.

Roma

A-List Customer
Quit smoking. I've said this for x years now. But this time I'm armed with one of those silly vaporizers which seems to work. God awful addiction.

And to keep in touch with relatives on a frequent basis. And to be nicer.
Alan Carr helped me quit smoking a lot of years ago. No relapse ever.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flu helped me quit smoking!! Thanks Flu Dude! Ok getting the smoke in but hard getting it back out..cough..cough..splutter..splutter..never started again! 10 years free of the addiction now! = More jackets :)

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, mine is less esoteric than others;
I just want to get this bloody MBA finished!!!

This will however require significantly greater discipline than I normally exhibit.
As an example, I have an essay due in a week, worth 30% of the subject total mark. I haven't yet started, but I'm here on the lounge.....
Psychology; What basis is there to claim that psychology is a science? In what ways does it fail to be one?

I'm in trouble.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner