Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your New Year's Resolution?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Like others, gotta loose a bit of weight mainly so my jackets fit a little easier, especially my bike gear including the Power Ranger set I have :)

zebedee

One Too Many
Quit the e-cigarette. Donate a lot of clothing to charity (I hate having so much stuff that I never wear any more). Read the Classics that I skipped over at uni all those years ago.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Get over my Luddite tendencies and get myself a smartphone.

I have absolutely zero interest in having one - I've never taken a single photo or ever visited the internet with my current cell, which is capable of both functions, and I only make about fifteen minutes of cell calls a month and I refuse to do text messaging. I seriously doubt that it'll be permanently connected to my right hand like seemingly the rest of the world... I just don't see it happening: I already feel that I'm too connected.

But I've realized that I'm only 60, and it's too soon to be drawing a line in the sand and saying That newfangled technology isn't for me. I may be a retro guy, but I'm doing myself a disservice being entirely cut off from what's become today's "mainstream" behavior. (My first time flying in a over decade last month convinced me that you're essentially a second-class citizen now without a smartphone.)

A-1

One Too Many
Doctor Strange, I cannot recommend it. I also thought I'd be immune to the cell phone becoming another organ but it still happened. And it's really hard to go back now at least for me. I hope you're doing better!
Best of luck!

Downsizing...that's my wife's goal this year!
I want to learn to cure olives. It's been a dream of mine to grow and make them.
I'd also like to get "off the smartphone" like some of you, but that'd mean less time in The Lounge :(

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
c2a73628c0ca5d5a4e0e9086a95d7273.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
1. Need to loose a bit of weight for sure. Funny thing is that I always start going to the gym in the summer, not in January. Maybe if I'm a bit more cliche I'll be more consistent haha.

2. Buy less stuff. Who knows if this will actually work, but I'm getting married this year so I need to save up for that.

3. Be satisfied with what I have and sell less stuff. I need to stop turning over items. In the past 2 months I've actually made my biggest jacket and boot dreams come true so I really need to just be happy with what I have. This is very much related to number 2.

Panadora

Practically Family
Invite Ole "The Dane" for a cup of coffee and learn how to properly handle and maintain my hats.

And not participating in treads focusing on things not to like.

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'd like to get my golf hcp back to 6. Still at 8, but 6 would do. No need to lose weight, but need to work out, just to get to 6 hcp. That's about it. Plenty of other major problems, but the golf would do for now...

Reactions: A-1
IN the last two years, I've sold three jackets and given away 6-7. All went to places where they're needed and being rather large, I reckon they did some big guys some good as they were 3x/50/52 and winter models all brand new. That alone made me feel a lot better and now, it's one in, one out. This is the year where I wear and get my gear made to look vintage on my own. Maybe an occasional flip/swap, but no net gains in stuff for us. If we can remove a lot more from the home, I think we'll be much happier...
Oddly, the show "Tiny House Nation" (I think) is what got us on a roll to start shredding. You realize after raising three kids and being in a house for 20 years that you accumulate way too much...

Ha, We moved 4 years ago and I swore I'd never do it again. When we arrived in CA we had 4 boxes and a couple of antique rugs...
I went through my closet last year, but the kid crap...Aye-yi-yi!!!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
responsible...not really.
Flexible, definitely!

C-O-M-P-R-O-M-I-S-E

Contrary to what some alpha males espouse, being "whipped" can be a good thing and is often the key ingredient to a successful marriage. Let her be right most of the time, even when she isn't, and carefully pick your battles (the vast majority of the time, it just doesn't matter). Acknowledge, and empathize with, her feelings even if they seem nuts. Treat her like a queen. If she reciprocates, you are well on your way.

Bilateral foregiveness is also key.

I blew it the first time. Second time around has been infinitely better. Just celebrated our fourth anniversary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk