Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your opinions on cuff cinches?

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, guys!

I'm on that discovery phase, finding some cool details one day just to question myself on the next. The subject of the moment for me are cuff cinches.

Up to not long ago, I thought I didn't like this sort of thing, but more recently, being flooded with a bazillion pictures of jackets, that is detail that has been growing on me. What do you guys think about them?

5319cb8e-45b8-47b9-8838-257c020ff052.jpg
2293ed58-c74c-409d-a3fe-4162f2d65b98.jpg
caffb1ba-c032-41c1-aae3-bdd89fc62772.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I like them. They are a plus when I am buying a vintage jacket. Though, after 80 years I typically don't use them, they get fragile. Most seemed more decoration than function.

There are also "roll Up" cuffs or adjustable.

20230217_164515.jpg

mvilla

A-List Customer
Those look pretty cool! At first I thought they were common buttoned cuffs, just then I realised that the button is on the inside, and come out once you flip them. That would be rather useful when working

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Not exactly the same but this sleeve configuration is both decorative and useful as I found when I had buried my watch down the sleeve and was able to dig it out by unzipping the cuff.
9AECD80B-DA69-4E11-AAB7-59098D5DD4AF.jpeg
3E7348D0-771F-42D8-933F-6535AE09963B.jpeg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I like the look.

As a practical matter, they are a bit difficult to use. Adjusting them one-handed is not easy, so I tend to take the jacket off, adjust, and then put it on. Which means I can't adjust them as tight as I might be able to with my arm in the sleeve, or get them fitting right.

I also worry about putting too much stress on the stitching that attaches the strap to the sleeve, or on the buckle. If the buckle isn't made out of good metal, it can be fragile and prone to breaking.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I currently own two jackets with cuff straps. On both they're purely ornamental. On the Albert Richard they don't bother me. On the aero the straps are slightly too long which allows them to curl... Which is somewhat annoying.

IMG_3783.jpeg

Albert Richard

IMG_5846.jpeg

Aero Grizzly

Looking at it now it looks like the length is similar on both jackets. Somehow only the Aero straps are curled.

Edward

Bartender
Hey, guys!

I'm on that discovery phase, finding some cool details one day just to question myself on the next. The subject of the moment for me are cuff cinches.

Up to not long ago, I thought I didn't like this sort of thing, but more recently, being flooded with a bazillion pictures of jackets, that is detail that has been growing on me. What do you guys think about them?

View attachment 502866
View attachment 502867
View attachment 502868

I really like them as a detail. Not on every jacket, but nice to have something different here and there.

Wouldn't wear one on a chicken run, though....

I think they look good when not in use.
They look like crap when people acctually sinch them up, but left loose they look ok.

I've used them in anger on a trench coat and a wax cotton International, though yeah, they can look odd if cinched in on leather. I suspect they were only ever really ornamental on a leather jacket - much like the lapel button hole on most blazers, really.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I think they look good when not in use.
They look like crap when people acctually sinch them up, but left loose they look ok.
Yeah, I tend to agree, like a decorative feature... If in use, reminds me a little of those scarecrow sleeves...

I haven’t had a jacket with them yet but I think they look good. I wonder if they’ll get caught in a door handle but then again pant belt loops to sometimes too lol

They look good on this Laskinlamb, I forget who posted it originally:
I like these ones, I feel like they sit at the right height...

I have mixed thoughts. I like them on the GW Ventura,
But many makers put them too far up the sleeve and they do look odd when cinched (bunching up the opening).
I tend to agree with the height issue. However, I feel this example might be a little too much for me, as in it looks like two cuff styles overlapped... I don't know, I'm still trying to figure this out

I like the look.

As a practical matter, they are a bit difficult to use. Adjusting them one-handed is not easy, so I tend to take the jacket off, adjust, and then put it on. Which means I can't adjust them as tight as I might be able to with my arm in the sleeve, or get them fitting right.

I also worry about putting too much stress on the stitching that attaches the strap to the sleeve, or on the buckle. If the buckle isn't made out of good metal, it can be fragile and prone to breaking.
Yeah, I feel they're more a decorative feature, indeed... Maybe something useful as a last resource, but I don't know how effective they'd be about keeping cold air out, if as you said you can't use them while having the jacket on...

I currently own two jackets with cuff straps. On both they're purely ornamental. On the Albert Richard they don't bother me. On the aero the straps are slightly too long which allows them to curl... Which is somewhat annoying.
Albert Richard
Aero Grizzly
Looking at it now it looks like the length is similar on both jackets. Somehow only the Aero straps are curled.
Its really cool how you always reply to this kind of question with personal examples and pictures haha. That Albert Richard is exactly the style I like the most, looks really cool

I really like them as a detail. Not on every jacket, but nice to have something different here and there.

Wouldn't wear one on a chicken run, though....

I've used them in anger on a trench coat and a wax cotton International, though yeah, they can look odd if cinched in on leather. I suspect they were only ever really ornamental on a leather jacket - much like the lapel button hole on most blazers, really.

Lol, I can really see that happening on door handles, as @RiteStuffBryan mentioned... Very easy to picture now lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ